Edge Issue 143 to contain Half-Life 2 review

Wildhound said:
Actually that's exactly what 10/10 means. If it's not possible to score any higher, then it's not possible for any game to be any better.

Any excuses or extra rules you try to apply after that are, quite simply, bullshit.

Stop acting like there's a universal standard for review scoring. Edge's policy says that 10/10 isn't a perfect game (because it's impossible) but it's pretty damn close for the time. The score is simply there for completion's sake. It doesn't matter if you don't agree or think it's bullshit, that's just the way it is.

Just read the mag. guys...lol
Then make up your mind. And I'm sure it will be a great read.

KagePrototype said:
Stop acting like there's a universal standard for review scoring. Edge's policy says that 10/10 isn't a perfect game (because it's impossible) but it's pretty damn close for the time. The score is simply there for completion's sake. It doesn't matter if you don't agree or think it's bullshit, that's just the way it is.

Thank you :)

Narcolepsy said:
I wonder how many PCGamer bashers here actually subscribe to the magazine. For that matter, I wonder how many people that bash things rampantly here are doing so of their own free will, or just jumping on the bandwagon.

That was my bad - I was talking about the UK edition of PCgamer (which I once subscribed to, and is pap - imo) I haven't read the US version, so can't really comment.

wooooo nintendo DS!!!

i dont often buy games mags, but when i do its usualy edge. its mutli-format, and they're not hype monkeys.

if they gave halo 10/10 and didnt do the same for goldeneye or HL, who cares. because everyone knows how great they are.

lol @ people who think 10/10 means a perfect game. 100% means a perfect game. 10/10 means a freaking astonishing game.

Never heard of this magazine before and multiformat = could care less what they think :p

edge is just a UK magazine i think... so i wouldnt guess many americans have heard of it

id consider it a more "mature" magazine. more writing, less pictures.

Extremely mature. If the press had an aristocracy, Edge would be a founding member.

wtf mature... I really gotta get a copy of edge, 'cause whenever I've read it and browsed through in the newsies; it seems like a wool over the eyes job. It has nicer pictures, presented in a more subtle and minimal style, and is printed on nice paper. The content however, read crap. However, I need to buy an issue to read it in depth to solidify my view; and this issue could be the one.

Personally, I'm a pczone subscriber; and I stand by all their reviews. They, for me, strike a perfect balance when it comes to review score.s Im babbling and its late and im a bit drunk so this makes no sense. HOWEVER. yeah=/

Edge looks meh.

Poorly written is something you can't accuse Edge of. Too harsh -maybe, up their own arses - sometimes :)

Still, it's easily the best read about when it comes to gaming and the industry.

Especially in comparison to pc zone.

//edit

I suggest you do buy a copy and have a read - then you'll see :) The same for anyone who hasn't read a copy (you'll most likely love it)

About all these 'Halo got 10/10 wtf??' posts:

1. Halo is a console game. More specifically an Xbox game. When it was released, it was the best example of a console FPS ever seen. (It's subjective. I didn't enjoy Halo as much as a lot of people, but I have to admit it was well made. For a Pentium 3 766 Processor (or whatever the Xbox uses) it was an amazing acomplishment).
2. It was made a long time ago.
3. Excellent multiplayer, enjoyed by many to this day.
4. Even if it wasn't perfect, it is considered the 'must own' game for the Xbox. 10/10 means 'buy this!', not 'this game doesn't have any flaws'.

DigitalAssassin said:
About all these 'Halo got 10/10 wtf??' posts:

1. Halo is a console game. More specifically an Xbox game. When it was released, it was the best example of a console FPS ever seen. (It's subjective. I didn't enjoy Halo as much as a lot of people, but I have to admit it was well made. For a Pentium 3 766 Processor (or whatever the Xbox uses) it was an amazing acomplishment).
2. It was made a long time ago.
3. Excellent multiplayer, enjoyed by many to this day.
4. Even if it wasn't perfect, it is considered the 'must own' game for the Xbox. 10/10 means 'buy this!', not 'this game doesn't have any flaws'.

You're not allowed to be sensible in this thread!

Try 'omg, Halo 10/10 - they're saying Halo is perfect!! wtf!11 consoles are shite, an XBox is a rubbish pc, wtf'!!

The you'll get ppl quoting you for emphasis ;)

How can you like SM64 over SM3???????? Heresy I say! :)

I don't see HL2 getting a 10/10. Edge just doesn't give PC games 10 out of 10. Yes, its a bias, but people need to stop looking at biases as awful things. Face it, some people, such as Warbie, just prefer the console experience.

I think that it the case with Edge.

Edge is a great magazine. I dont own any consoles but i still like reading it because they have such good articles.

AFAIK they have only given 10s to Mario 64 and Halo, its not a console bias, its just a rare score.

ShadowFox said:
How can you like SM64 over SM3???????? Heresy I say! :)

I don't see HL2 getting a 10/10. Edge just doesn't give PC games 10 out of 10. Yes, its a bias, but people need to stop looking at biases as awful things. Face it, some people, such as Warbie, just prefer the console experience.

I think that it the case with Edge.

Actually I prefer PC gaming (mainly online in leagues and tournies)

But must admit to prefering consoles for single player experiences.

I don't really think Edge is biased against pcs either - well, maybe a little ;) (but only because they're such sticklers for innovation. Hopefully HL2 will inject some new ideas and gameplay into what otherwise is rather a unimaginative part of the gaming industry - which, being a pc gamer at heart, pains me to say)

Have we been waiting so many years for HL2 because HL was so great?, or because there have been sod all pc games of that quality since? A little of both me thinks.

And everyone know SM64 owns SM3 ;)

Sounds like poll material to me. I would be downright shocking if 64 beat 3.

I'd probably rank them:

I can't rank 2, since it was so different.

What about SMW? and Yoshi's Island?

They were damn good games too :)

imo - SM64>SMW>SM3>SMW2

(and pls don't make the poll on this forum - I think that would finish me off ;) )

Just FYI, if you go to the testscreen page in Edge, top left is the 'review policy', were they describe 10/10 as 'revolutionary'. D:l>o

Wait a second, i dont know how you (warbie) can accuse Edge of not surrending to hype, when Edge gave Halo 10/10. It was great in 2001 but it still had major problems then, as it still does now. And giving Halo a 10/10 and putting it up there with the greatest games ever made, is surrending to hype, in my books.

Halo's not a crap game, its a very good game, but no way is it in a league of its own. PC Gameplay doesnt give into hype that easily at all, nor does PC Gamer UK for that matter.

You really need to stop spouting all this stuff about magazines, without any evidence to back it up. I've always known that you've had a bias towards consoles (which is fine, after all, most of us here have a bias towards PC's) but when you saying stuff that sounds like every single PC magazine gives into hype, you're wrong. (PC Gamer US does give into hype though, big time)

another HL2 review came in today(PC Games DE) and gave it 96%, its highest ever score. In comparison they gave Far Cry 92% and Doom 3 90%. All those scores, sound about right to me.

7/8 reviews have all given HL2 the highest score imaginable from each magazine. PC Gameplay (who apparently gives in to hype) didn't.

I'm not trying attacking you, i just keep hearing all this shit about PC magazines always giving into hype. Its just so irritating and its always the best mags that are accused of it (except PCG US, they're whores). Anyway i'm done.

As you've pointed out - everyone has their biases.

I do honestly think Halo is one of the best games ever made (co-op alone has provided me and my mates with more fun than almost any other title) and agree with the 10/10 Edge gave it. Sure the game had problems but, as we've already covered, an Edge 10/10 doesn't equal perfect, not by any means, just that (for the time) they can't recommend the game any higher.

So, imo, they haven't surrendered to any hype. (I know that puts me in the minority on this forum - but pls ppl, try not to flame, this is all subjetcive at the end of the day)

There's also far too much focus on this one review (who cares if you disagree with it?) the majority of their reviews are usually rated my the vast majority of gamers and the industry alike.

You mention a certain pc mag that gave Doom 3 92% and HL2 96%. I don't think i'm alone in thinking Doom 3 was rather average (pretty good at best) - so why should I get excited when the same publication gives HL2 a score of just 4% more? They're basically saying HL2 is a little bit better than Doom3. I don't know about you, but i'm expecting/hoping for far more than that.

(what have these other 5 magasines given Doom3 or Far Cry?, or CoD and Max Payne2 for that matter?)

This is why you find me 'spouting all this stuff' about PC magasines. When pretty average games are getting scores in the high 80's/low 90's (which isn't uncommon in UK pc mags *i've had subscriptions to PC Zone and Gameplay*) it totally devalues their scoring system. Of course, you may think these games are worthy of these scores - which is fair enough. But will you agree that HL2 is only a little bit better than umpteen other pc games after release?

Edge gave Doom 3 a score of 7/10 (which is fair imo) and, despite ppls views on Halo, are the most critical magasine around. If they give HL2 9/10 (or even 10/10 :)) next next month I shall be very happy. And that review would mean something - not just to me, but to the industry as a whole. Ppl would sit up and take notice - it wouldn't be just a pc game that's a bit better than Doom3.

Warbie said:
As you've pointed out - everyone has their biases.

I do honestly think Halo is one of the best games ever made (co-op alone has provided me and my mates with more fun than almost any other title) and agree with the 10/10 Edge gave it. Sure the game had problems but, as we've already covered, an Edge 10/10 doesn't equal perfect, not by any means, just that (for the time) they can't recommend the game any higher.

So, imo, they haven't surrendered to any hype. (I know that puts me in the minority on this forum - but pls ppl, try not to flame, this is all subjetcive at the end of the day)

There's also far too much focus on this one review (who cares if you disagree with it?) the majority of their reviews are usually rated my the vast majority of gamers and the industry alike.

You mention a certain pc mag that gave Doom 3 92% and HL2 96%. I don't think i'm alone in thinking Doom 3 was rather average (pretty good at best) - so why should I get excited when the same publication gives HL2 a score of just 4% more? They're basically saying HL2 is a little bit better than Doom3. I don't know about you, but i'm expecting/hoping for far more than that.

(what have these other 5 magasines given Doom3 or Far Cry?, or CoD and Max Payne2 for that matter?)

This is why you find me 'spouting all this stuff' about PC magasines. When pretty average games are getting scores in the high 80's/low 90's (which isn't uncommon in UK pc mags *i've had subscriptions to PC Zone and Gameplay*) it totally devalues their scoring system. Of course, you may think these games are worthy of these scores - which is fair enough. But will you agree that HL2 is only a little bit better than umpteen other pc games after release?

Edge gave Doom 3 a score of 7/10 (which is fair imo) and, despite ppls views on Halo, are the most critical magasine around. If they give HL2 9/10 (or even 10/10 :)) next next month I shall be very happy. And that review would mean something - not just to me, but to the industry as a whole. Ppl would sit up and take notice - it wouldn't be just a pc game that's a bit better than Doom3.

Doom 3 got 90% not 92% from PC Games DE. Whilst the gameplay alone, was pretty damn average, the engine itself and the effort put into the enviroment makes it deserving of 85-90 percent in my books. But as you said, its all subjective.

But, also, as someone else mentioned, in Edge's review policy, 10/10 means revolutionary. Halo was hardly revolutionary. It was innovative but not revolutionary. The only few FPS that have been revolutionary in my books are Half-Life, Deus Ex and System Shock 1/2. Personally, i think that in that case, Edge gave into hype.

P.S: I still want to stress that i thought Halo was really good, and i'm not attacking it, it just doesnt deserve to be up there with the greatest games of all time, like Zelda (PLEASE tell me that Edge gave Zelda 10/10, thats probably the only game i can think of that deserves it)

P.P.S: Halo kicks CoD ass, but its about level with Max Payne 2 in my books. MP2 rocked

P.P.P.S: Here are the scores from the other mags as well

PC Format
-----------
Half-Life 2 - 97%
Doom 3 - 90%
UT2004 - 83%
KOTOR - 92%

PC Zone
-----------
Half-Life 2 - 97% (HL1 got a 95%)
Far Cry - 93%
UT2004 - 94%
KOTOR - 94%

PC Gamer US
-----------
Half-Life 2 - 98%
Far Cry - 95%
Doom 3 - 94%
UT2004 - 92%
KOTOR - 91%
(as i said, they tend to give into hype, and overrate games, as i thought that KOTOR was/is easily capable of getting a better/equal score with every other game on this list))

PC Gamer UK
----------
Half-Life 2 - 96%
Warhammer 40k: DoW - 91%
Doom 3 - 90%
Far Cry - 80%
UT2004 - 80%
(a bit harsh on UT2004 and Far Cry)

PC Gameplay
------------
Far Cry - 91%
Half-Life 2 - 90%
Doom 3 - 86%

PC Games
----------
Half-Life 2 - 96%
Far Cry - 92%
Doom 3 - 90%

PC Powerplay
----------
Half-Life - 98%
Deus Ex - 98%
System Shock 2 - 98%
Doom 3 - 96%
(i gotta admit, i've been reading this mag for about a year before Half-Life came out, and this is the 3rd game that i've played, that they have overrated)

Sparta said:
P.P.S: Halo kicks CoD ass, but its about level with Max Payne 2 in my books. MP2 rocked

Yes MP2 did rock! :D Can't wait for MP3.

Sparta said:
P.S: I still want to stress that i thought Halo was really good, and i'm not attacking it, it just doesnt deserve to be up there with the greatest games of all time, like Zelda (PLEASE tell me that Edge gave Zelda 10/10, thats probably the only game i can think of that deserves it)

Ocarina of Time received 10/10, if that's the Zelda sequel you're referring to. Although I think A Link To The Past is better.

Those are opinions for you. ;)

The thing I'm worried about with the Edge review, is the magazine has a notorious reputation (perhaps unfair it could be said) for going against the grain. So if everyone else is scoring Half-Life 2 really highly, they may just end up marking it as a 7/10 or 8/10.

Now those are excellent above-average scores, but considering Half-Life 2's hype and the potential impact and quality of the title, I'd be personally disappointed after all this attention and waiting if it received anything less than a 9.

well from the sounds of things, anything below an 8/10 should mean that the game has been hyped up too much

We'll end up debating what constitutes 'revolutionary' before long ;)

Halo was the first game to combine quality vehicles, seemless interaction from indoor to large outside locations, excellent combat, co-op, all wrapped up in a cohesive and challenging story driven experience. That's basically the gist of the Edge review, anyway. imo it isn't one thing that Halo does that makes it stand out - rather the blending of so many features, and getting them, and the mixture, right.

Revolutionary? I dunno, maybe for its time. Another subjective area :)

There's no doubt HL and SS2/Deus Ex are worthy of praise, and definately revolutionised the genre. I'd add GE/PD (you know I'm a sucker for these games) or Halo - simply for proving that you don't have to go online to experience challenging gameplay in a fps (which is the one thing I look for most in a shooter - and my biggest concern for HL2)

Those magasine scores have somewhat reinforced my opinion of pc mags, though.

I reckon HL2 will get a solid 9/10 (but am secretly hoping for a 10/10 :))

Warbie, you seem to forget that Edge and most PC magazines (actually almost all gaming magazines in general) have very different ways of rating. Edge thinks a 7/10 is good/great, other magazines say that a 7/10 or 70% is pretty mediocre.
The 7/10 for Doom 3 is easily comparable with the 86% that Doom 3 received in PCGameplay.

Sparta said:
PC Powerplay
----------
Half-Life - 98%
Deus Ex - 98%
System Shock 2 - 98%
Doom 3 - 96%
(i gotta admit, i've been reading this mag for about a year before Half-Life came out, and this is the 3rd game that i've played, that they have overrated)

They tend to overrate many games, Doom 3 scored too higly imho, Far Cry only getting 90% to Doom 3's 96% is just incorrect. Deus Ex well and truly deserved 98% though. They scored 96% for DX:IW which was also far too high. It will be interesting to see what happens to HL2

btw you guys, edge no long marks games out of ten, infact it doesnt give a score at all as they believed that your own impressions should be formed from what is written in the review. A good move in my opinion

Is this a move with the new re-designed edition of next issue?

Because up until last month, they were still marking games out of ten.

It'd be great if they dropped the scores though.

Yeah i think so, It was something they wrote in the magazine one issue, but im not sure if it stuck, they were definately considering it

Warbie said:
There's no doubt HL and SS2/Deus Ex are worthy of praise, and definately revolutionised the genre. I'd add GE/PD (you know I'm a sucker for these games) or Halo - simply for proving that you don't have to go online to experience challenging gameplay in a fps (which is the one thing I look for most in a shooter - and my biggest concern for HL2)

Just thought i'd point out that it was the single-player experience that made those 3 games revolutionary (HL, SS2 and Deus Ex). Especially when Half-life was the only game with a multiplayer option :p

Sparta said:
Just thought i'd point out that it was the single-player experience that made those 3 games revolutionary (HL, SS2 and Deus Ex). Especially when Half-life was the only game with a multiplayer option :p

PC RPG's are also over looked. Fallout 1 & 2 and Baulders Gate for example, Fallout 1 was certainly revolutionary in my opinion.

brisck1 said:
Yeah i think so, It was something they wrote in the magazine one issue, but im not sure if it stuck, they were definately considering it

I don't think it stuck, I was reading a few recent copies of Edge in my Uni's library the other day (like April 2004, one had the Halo 2 logo on the cover), and I remember them having a score at the bottom. Granted, it was hard to see (heh), but I remember it still being there. They wrote it in words i.e. "seven out of ten", and it almost faded into the background a bit due to the colours they used.

brisck1 said:

That was a great issue - unfortunately it didn't stick :/

It's certainly how Edge wanted to continue reviewing games, but many ppl complained (don't think they grasped the fact that you have to read and understand the text)

I guess some feel the need to quantify things. A shame - scores are generally pointless, and only cause bickering (something i'm very guilty of :))

Edge have been around for donkeys years, still pumping out quality stuff. I'd trust 'em.

Scores are very helpful, it lets you filter out the bad games at a glance. I know I have neither the time or inclination to read every single review, im only interested in games worth buying.

The only downside to scores is the people who take them too seriously. I often hear statements from people like "omg hl2 should of been given 97%, not 96%!"), rather than them realise its not a definitive thing, just some bloke's opinion.

brisck1 said:
btw you guys, edge no long marks games out of ten, infact it doesnt give a score at all as they believed that your own impressions should be formed from what is written in the review. A good move in my opinion

Have never read the mag myself, but I very much like that idea. I think too many people take numbers soooo seriously as to a games true worth. It's all subjective and opinion and one person's 9 is another person's 10 or 8 or anything else.

But words and descriptions and impressions are where more truth will be found. Still, it's all subjective though.

And as for the console and PC biases-

Generally the 2 different platforms have had different games.

Super Mario World, SM64, the Mega Man series, Crash Bandicoot, Sonic the Hedgehog, etc. You just don't find many quality games like that for the PC. For some reason a few people have a stigma about buying a gamepad for the PC and playing games like that with a keyboard just doesn't feel right.

And to me, the PC is still the best platform right now for an FPS. The keyboard + mouse combo is soooo nice. (I and several other people in my dorm thought Halo for PC was way too easy because of how much more accurate a mouse is. Even the most difficult levels seemed like cake compared to Legendary on XBox (which was a blast). And multi-player for PC was WAY too pistol friendly because of the added accuracy.) It's the same way with RTS's right now. I don't know how on earth you would play a game such as Warcraft 3 without a keyboard or a similar peripheral.

I have a feeling you're going to see a lot more keyboard-type add-ons to the next-gen consoles and perhaps a further blending of the PC/console areas.

Back