Engine Error at Source games

Insano

Tank
Reaction score
When I launch HL2 or HL2: Episode 1, I get the following error message after the Valve intro:

Engine Error:
Model models/props/combine/pipes03_single02a.mdl not found and models/error.mdl couldn't be loaded

When I close the window, I got the classic memory error.

The Instruction at 0x####### referenced memory at 0x#######. The memory could not be 'read

I've already tried to fix it by installing new/old drivers for my graphics card. I've also verified my gcf files, and defragmented the hard disk.

My specs:

Video card: GeForce4 MX440
Motherboard: ECS P4VXASD2
BIOS: Default system BIOS
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 2.00 GHz
Memory: 256 MB RAM
DirectX version: Directx 9.0c

I have at the moment (I just reinstalled Windows, but I had the error before the reinstall too) no virusscanner or firewall installed.

And I've played Episode 1 at 1st June, but I got the error after my windows crashed and I had to reinstall windows.

when you re-installed windows: did you re-install HL2 + HL2E1, and if so, what order?

something that you might want to try - but I don't know if it will do 100% fix is to delete the HL2 and HL2E1 directories in the /steam/steamApps/user/ directory - when you re-launch the game, it will re-create the files and folders required to play the game.

You say that you played it, then windows crashed. How did it crash? errors? anything could be relevent.

Again, some tries as noone has posted for a few hours, see what happens :)

Robinb

Big change, but not very good:

If I now try to launch a Source based game, it starts to validate the Steam files, then stops and gives the error 'The Steam servers are currently too busy to handle your request'.

I've tried deleting the clientregistry.blob several times (seemed the obvious solution) and I've validated and defragmented the files of HL2.

I've also formatted the harddisk, and reïnstalled Steam.

The last possible option is to redownload all of the content of HL2...

A little bit more information:

Day of Defeat: Source and Counter-Strike: Source are stuck at "Downloading: 99%" status.

The status of Half-Life 2 is "Updating: 0%"

When I launch, Steam wants to validate the files for some reason, and then I get the message "The Steam servers are currently too busy to handle your request".

Edit: I tried updating the games in "Safe Mode with Networking", but they still won't go past that 99%...

I might also add that the Steam monitor gives no notice of traffic of any sort at all.

You need minimum 1GB of ram and a decent card MX440 is just too old.

But in your case you need to do some major upgrades since EP1 literally brought your PC down to its knees.

Sorry.

n/o, but that's simply not the problem.
I've played Episode 1 at 1st June, but I got the error after my windows crashed and I had to reinstall windows.
And it's not the error in my first post that's the problem.

I now can't even launch a Source game.

And I know several people who finished Ep1 with a GeForce4 MX440 and the same amount of ram.

Insano said:
n/o, but that's simply not the problem.And it's not the error in my first post that's the problem.

I now can't even launch a Source game.

And I know several people who finished Ep1 with a GeForce4 MX440 and the same amount of ram.

I very much thought that.

It is not the about the original error that you have posted or for the lack of your PC's ability to launch any of the sources, your problem comes down to your PC's lack of decent memory GPU and CPU.

Sorry. You can toss this up in the air, turn it and twist it anyway you like, the fact will remain the same.

Let's wait for other members say, abou what they think.

Good Luck.

If it's the problem of my computer, then why:
  • Have I been able to complete the full HL2 SP campaign with this setup (the same settings as used in Ep1!)?
  • Have I been able to play Ep1 for an hour, until I had those awful crashes?
  • Have other people been able to play HL2 and Ep1 with the same specs?
I think that it's not my awful graphics card that stops games from launching, but that there is a conflict problem between Steam and my source games.

Other people with the same problem:
http://forums.steampowered.com/foru...eadid=420049&highlight=servers+AND+validating

Well, thanks anyway for the help. At least you're trying to help :)

Barney Fife said:
Let's wait for other members say, abou what they think.

Hi! I'm another member, and your problem isn't computer spec-related at all. Unfortunately I don't know what could be the cause of the problem, perhaps you have an overly ambitious firewall blocking steam packets? At any rate it's not your computer or age of your graphics card. That's just stupid.

FictiousWill said:
perhaps you have an overly ambitious firewall blocking steam packets?
I do have a firewall, ZoneAlarm, but none of the games will launch if I just disable it.

I also ran "Safe Mode with Networking" to check if there were absolutely no firewalls, the games would launch properly.

Edit: I just uninstalled ZoneAlarm, but I still get the error...

Back