GTX 770 SLI Disappointing Performance.

Dynasty

Space Core
Reaction score
Hey all,

So I built a new PC, here's my specs:

Asus Sabertooth Z77
Intel i7 3770k 3.5ghz (OC'd to 4.5ghz @ 1.280v)
2 x EVGA GTX 770 SLI Superclocked (pre-overclocked to about 1110hz).
8GB Corsair Vengeance @1600hz.
Asus Xonar Phoebus Sound Card.
Corsair HX850 Modular PSU.
256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD.
Corsair Dominator 650D case.

Had it about a month now, and I am yet to be convinced that everything is running the way it should.

I've been playing a few games for consistency, and they are all just under-performing against, say, the less powerful but more common GTX 680 SLI setup.

At 1920x1080 native, people with the same CPUs as me, usually 16GB of RAM instead of 8, are getting higher results than I in almost every game or benchmark I can do.

Metro Last Light Benchmark

Scene 6, DX 11, Very High Quality, AF16x, Very High Tesselation, PhysX on.

My setup:

Avg FPS: 45.08
Max FPS: 156.37
Min FPS: 4.21 (WTF!!!!)

Yet this guy:
gets:

Avg FPS: 71.07
Max FPS: 189.68
Min FPS: 23.02

Well there's something wrong there then, if he's on slower cards.

The closest my results come to are with someone with an i7 2600k and 2 bloody 660ti's in SLI.

770s are £350 a pop for **ck sake.

Battlefield 3 Multiplayer

People with SLI 770s on an i5 processor are getting lows of 70 FPS on Gulf Of Oman, highs of 140-200, avg around 110.

I get lows of 50s on every map, highs of 140-200, avg in the 70s or 80s.

Borderlands 2

I'm getting lows in the 40s, others with 770s or 680s in SLI are getting lows of 60s.

Heaven Benchmark

My results, again, lower than someone with the same setup and 2 680s or even someone with 770s in SLI and an i5:
VDIchpW.png

For some reason it said the CPU was 3.5ghz. It was certainly 4.5ghz, I haven't restored the OC since I did it.
------------------------------------------

I'm being out-performed in everything.

By people with the same or slow setups.

CPU bottleneck? Doubtful as people with slower CPUs get better results with worse cards as well.

Yes SLI is enabled.

I'm running drivers 320.49

Windows 7 64-bit.

Bios is the latest version as I flashed it before installing windows.

I was sent through a cleaning process of my drivers by a nice man at the EVGA forums, did a clean wipe and installed only what was necessary, uninstalled Afterburner and Precision the proper way and then only installed Precision. Saw a slight increase in frames, nothing major.

I just don't know what the **ck is wrong.

My guess is the drivers are just at shit level for the cards right now (as far as SLI is concerned). You should ask other SLI users of this set if they're getting similar issues.

Take one of the cards out and never forgive yourself for doing an SLI build.

I would roll back your drivers to 314.22 or earlier. Nvidia's 320 drivers are shit; especially when it comes to SLI builds. There has even been some reports of 320 drivers killing cards.

I updated to 320, loaded up BF3, and saw artifacting and heat spikes that I have never observed before. I've since rolled back and now everything is back to normal.

Back