BSOD on my new rig.

Sliver

Companion Cube
Reaction score
Just a discalimer, this is a copy paste from a different thread on a different forum but I could use all the help I can get. About ready to punch a wall.

Hey guys, I recently built a computer with these specs:
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz
ASRock P67 EXTREME4 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
MSI R6970-2PM2D2GD5 Radeon HD 6970 2GB
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.2
I ran the computer with a hard drive with Windows 7 Ultimate x64 I used on my previous build. While running The Witcher 2 I got a BSOD, which happened again and again, only once while I wasn't running The Witcher 2. I ran memtest, which showed up with errors. I took one stick out, ran it, came up with errors, popped the other stick in and got errors as well. Is this purely a case of fault RAM? Whats the chances of both sticks being bad? ALL my fan speeds are normal, nothing is overheating from what I can tell.

Here is the folder gotten from running Windows NT6.
Here are the results of the system health report.
Here is the link to a rar containing all of the minidumps compiled.

ANY sort of help will be appreciated, this is really starting to get on my nerves. I really hope I did this post right, I'm getting ready to go crazy.
I trust you hl2netters more than any other internet user, and would really appreciate any input.

Go into your BIOS and make sure your CPU and RAM have been clocked and timed properly. It's likely that the motherboard didn't autoconfigure your components properly.

You're using the same installation of Windows that was installed for different hardware. That could also be causing your problem.

If you suspect it to be a RAM problem(also likely since the system crashes like what you're experiencing can be caused by that) try taking one stick out and try getting it to crash and then test the other stick. I believe Raziaar(or his brother) had a similar RAM problem a while back with his new build.

Oh whoops, I missed that bit.

Reinstall Windows and that will likely fix everything. If your motherboard changes, you need to reinstall your OS.

But would Windows issues result in errors in Memtest? I looked into my ram timings and saw that they were set to 9-9-9-24, which is what they should be. I'm gonna have to test each ram stick in each slot to see if it's corrupted ram or slots.

You know I have had this problem since 2008? For whatever reason it's like once it builds up enough error logs, it doesn't crash anymore. For months and months now it's been completely fine. That is until I added a 750GB hard drive and added a 2GB RAM stick. Then BSOD start occurring and Ready Boost starts crashing. Even when it is idling and the error codes are always RAM related. I did check the RAM and nothing popped up, hard drive too. However I had a BIOS version from 2007 and the latest is from 2009. It added some Super I/O code, support for some hard drives over 1TB, and 45NM CPU's. Now the interesting part is that this computer only recognized 3.5GB of RAM but after flashing the BIOS it now recognizes 4GB. I'm going to have to wait and see if this computer crashes again.

But would Windows issues result in errors in Memtest? I looked into my ram timings and saw that they were set to 9-9-9-24, which is what they should be. I'm gonna have to test each ram stick in each slot to see if it's corrupted ram or slots.
AFAIA, ultimately the RAM problem boils down to a technical thing like "the expected data was not present", so it's possible that Memtest is encountering errors with communication between the OS and an unexpected motherboard. Even if this couldn't be further from the truth, you're doing yourself a disservice by not reformatting, because Windows likes to be a bitch in general when you change motherboards.

Can you try the whole build with a different HDD with a fresh install of W7? Also can you borrow a stick of DDR3 off a friend to test to see if both your sticks are bad? Like you say, it's a good idea to try and work out if your RAM slots are bad on the mobo too.

I've seen issues before with memory instability due to the mobo not pulling enough volts out for them. Not sure what they should be for 8GB on your board but check your BIOs and then have a google around and get some ballpark figures. You've got a lovely PSU so that certainly isn't the problem.

OK I changed my DRAM whatever it is from 1333 to 1066 on recommendation from Dinnesch. Memtest now reports no errors and I no longer crash in The Witcher 2! Should I just stick with this ram or return it? What would be the point in returning it?

I had a similar problem...I'm using an i5 2500 and got corsair 8gb 1600 ram, if I run it at 1600, it's unstable but runs fine at 1333. I would consider returning that ram you have. 1333 should definitely work.

OK I changed my DRAM whatever it is from 1333 to 1066 on recommendation from Dinnesch. Memtest now reports no errors and I no longer crash in The Witcher 2! Should I just stick with this ram or return it? What would be the point in returning it?

Well, you can exchange it for RAM rated at 1333MHz and 1.5V so you're sure it's 100% compatible(or just look for people who have confirmed that a certain type of RAM works). RAM speed isn't that important for gaming performance on sandy bridge CPUs(that test didn't test speeds as low as 1066MHz, though), but according to this it does affect multitasking/heavy apps a bit.

Ok I just got a BSOD even after flashing the BIOS. It's always linked to my RAM as well but any hard drive checks or memory tests come up with nothing. Am I doing the memtest wrong? Sometimes my WiFi adapter crashes on me or even ReadyBoost. Even Firefox crashed while making this post.

RAM: 4GB total DDR2800 1x2GB, 2x1GB same timings, everything is the same, timings are 5-5-5-18
GPU: GTX 260
CPU: Intel Quad Core Q6600 2.4GHz
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R V2.0
HD: 1x500GB, 1x700GB running in SATA
PSU: XCLIO GREAT POWER 650W

The error was:
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
STOP: 0x0000001A (0x00000403, 0xC00E00F0, 0x7F8C486F, 0xC01A0058)
2r2auq8.jpg

Here is the dump file: http://www.filefactory.com/file/cca3823/n/Mini060511-01.dmp

*I'm going to try and setup my BIOS and force it to the max voltage they can take instead of AUTO.

Have you tried other RAM sticks? And you're absolutely sure your RAM is clocked to 800MHz, and not 667? Have you tried disabling ReadyBoost?

Have you tried other RAM sticks? And you're absolutely sure your RAM is clocked to 800MHz, and not 667? Have you tried disabling ReadyBoost?
I have not tried other sticks, and yes these are clocked right to 5-5-5-18 on the BIOS. I have also tried disabling ReadyBoost. The weird part about all of this is the voltage which has been wrong probably since 2008. DDR2 voltage RAM always runs at 1.8V I discovered yet on this mobo it's running at 1.98V. The cause of problem and alarm? It could be but for some dick head reason Gigabyte won't let me adjust this value. There is an OverVoltage value I can set but not a custom voltage. I think I have to e-mail Gigabyte about this because a lot of people are discovering this.

That's really odd. I'd try pulling the CMOS and starting your BIOS fresh (and checking for a new BIOS firmware version). Also I'm not worried about the timings as much as the bus speed. 5-5-5-18 is a really loose timing that should cause 0 problems, but if the bus speed is 667MHz instead of 800, it can often cause problems, especially if you use AMD processors. That said, it does sound like voltage is the problem, and it could certainly cause corrupted memory values, which would explain all the random crashes you experience.

I have been having blue screens of death and it's always related to RAM. The RAM modules have tested fine, however they run at 1.8V and the BIOS runs them at 1.98V. There is no way of lowering the voltage and I was wondering if I could change that or if this is normal.

Dear Customer,

It will auto detect by default, how many modules you have installed and if you attempt to reduce down to one module do you encounter similar results?

I have 3 sticks of RAM. Two are 1GB each and 1 other stick that is 2GB for a total of 4GB of RAM. The model number is: A-DATA AD2U800B1G5-DRH. All memory modules are exactly the same, timing, voltage, etc. It's just that the sticks run at 1.8V and the motherboard is running them at 2V. I have to decrease the voltage or else I'm just going to keep crashing.

Since they are different spec there will be stability issue, please use all of the same type of memory

FFFFUUUUUUU retarded tech support ARGH! I gotta go to Tomshardware or something. This is ridiculous.

As Glenn said it would be a really good idea to try a fresh install of windows. Unless your old build was almost identical in hardware as your new one you will run in to problems (I'm surprised you were even able to boot).

Back