Episode 1 on Vista - goes black when getting Grav-Gun

Growler1984

Reaction score
I've had a look at the "fix for black screen" topic here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=444181 but I don't think this problem exactly applies to it.

HL2 itself works perfectly, and so does Episode 1 - RIGHT up to the point when you get the Gravity Gun, but as soon as you get it, the screen goes black and you can just see 1 or 2 white 'strips'.

I've got 2 Geforce 8800 GTS cards working via SLI, btw [even though the latest update to it won't install for some stupid reason :frown: ]

I've had a look at the "fix for black screen" topic here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=444181 but I don't think this problem exactly applies to it.

HL2 itself works perfectly, and so does Episode 1 - RIGHT up to the point when you get the Gravity Gun, but as soon as you get it, the screen goes black and you can just see 1 or 2 white 'strips'.

I've got 2 Geforce 8800 GTS cards working via SLI, btw [even though the latest update to it won't install for some stupid reason :frown: ]
Vista = sh*t.

agreed up to the point to when you can buy Crysis [and onwards] :naughty: so there :p

but seriously, INTELLIGENT and useful answers are preferable :upstare:
If the operating system you are using is being reported worldwide as using more CPU cycles for DRM than for the task you are doing, having problems playing any game ever made, as well as crashing regularly and not working well with the one card basically DESIGNED to run with it - the 8800, among a plethora of other issues, then what makes you think a forum of mostly gaming kids is going to fix for you what Microsoft can't fix in their own product?

It was just quicker to say "Vista = sh*t".

If the operating system you are using is being reported worldwide as using more CPU cycles for DRM than for the task you are doing, having problems playing any game ever made, as well as crashing regularly and not working well with the one card basically DESIGNED to run with it - the 8800, among a plethora of other issues, then what makes you think a forum of mostly gaming kids is going to fix for you what Microsoft can't fix in their own product?

It was just quicker to say "Vista = sh*t".

/me agrees with shasta 100%

:D

:(

Well said Shasta...

I'm only using Vista because I installed it a while ago and can't be arsed to reinstall XP.
It's working okay with my 7800GT for now. I'll wait until more DX10 cards and fixes are out before upgrading...

Hello!? and you call this a "Help and Support" forum; so tell me...

Where IS this "help and support" I'm supposed to be getting here? All you care about is whining about Vista crashing - it's completely irrelevant to my question anyway!

Please will you for once put aside your personal vendetta's about Vista, and actually try to do the job you're supposed to be doing!

What a childish response I've had so far. Maybe we should rename it "rant about Vista & no help" forum -- oh, and I apologize for being 'too old' to ask for help in here

Hello!? and you call this a "Help and Support" forum; so tell me...

Where IS this "help and support" I'm supposed to be getting here? All you care about is whining about Vista crashing - it's completely irrelevant to my question anyway!
Irrelevant? Your entire operating system is causing problems WORLDWIDE. It doesn't work properly. An operating system OPERATES YOUR PC. If it is fu*ked, then so are you. And I assure you, it is fu*ked at the moment, especially for what you want to do with it: gaming. WE cannot make it work properly, YOU cannot make it work properly, and Microsoft cannot make it work properly. Not yet, anyway. Take a look around the internet ffs.

Please will you for once put aside your personal vendetta's about Vista, and actually try to do the job you're supposed to be doing!
Job? You think it is our JOB to help you here? Oh boy...

This is a place where fans of HL2 come to talk about it amongst themselves. That's about it. If someone knows how to help someone else with a problem, then good for them. If not - oh well.

What a childish response I've had so far. Maybe we should rename it "rant about Vista & no help" forum -- oh, and I apologize for being 'too old' to ask for help in here
No-one said you were too old. In fact, I haven't even bothered to imagine your age, because I don't really care. The reality is, you have come to a GAMING forum, which is basically a website where mainly kids (no offence guys) come to talk about a game they like, and other crap. Assuming that you FINALLY understand that Vista IS your problem, what makes you think that some kids can fix a brand new operating system that their parents probably haven't even brought for them yet, when the multi-billion dollar corporation that created said software can't fix it yet?

The simple facts are, if you play on Vista, you're not going to get as much support if you play on XP.

/EDIT And before you target me, not because we don't want to help you, but because we cannot.

It is true that Vista really isn't helping the situation. Microsoft really messed up when they released the beta build of Vista as retail. The main thing we can tell you to do is to install XP and hope for the best....otherwise, you'll more than likely have to wait for a fix from M$ or for better drivers..because right now, there is no hope....;(

thanks so much Naudian, It worked like a treat! :D

see?? trying to blame me for getting Vista [and blaming Vista itself], even when it might not be Vista's fault at all!

thanks so much Naudian, It worked like a treat! :D

see?? trying to blame me for getting Vista [and blaming Vista itself], even when it might not be Vista's fault at all!
You had to search the internet and get someone else to help you to actually turn off a part of your game, just so you could play it in Vista. Sounds like it works perfectly then. Yep, Vista's not broken at ALL. I mean, I forgot that it says in the install disk that if you actually want games and stuff to work, you need to go find some people to help you lower the game quality and alter settings just to play it. How silly of me.

*Shastasploshen*

Actually, that's a great idea for a kart in D: Racer :p

Back