Error installing HL2 (hl2.cab)

J

JASONC1982

Hi there!
Recently tried to install HL2 from an image I have stored on my computer and ran into this error "hl2.cab file is corrupt" I figured my image of the game was damaged considering winrar popped an error up whilst decompressing it so I thought that I would pop the original back in and try that.
Well the same happened again, same error, same place.
So I figured that maybe the installer didnt like the place I was trying to install it too so I changed it back to the main C:\ drive, normal place program files etc. It still didnt work...
So I sat twiddling my thumbs for a couple of minutes and remembered something I had to do to make Quake 4 work (problem with Office 2007 compatibility) so I went back and changed what I had previously changed there back to what it was and it still didnt work for me which then led me on to actually uninstalling Office 12 and putting the previous version back on. One cold boot later and my game fires up and install first time (image, not dvd!).

So to cut a long story short, HL2 doesnt seem to be compatible with Office 2007.
Or was it just me. Anyone else came across this before?

...that's new. Question: are you using a pirated version in place of your normal real version which includes Steam?

I think it's pirated, otherwise he wouldn't notice .rar files...Meh, I hoped to encounter a similiar error I have had with my hl2-copy, the dvd seems to be corrupted coz there's always a file missing :S
Anyway, isn't it legal if I have an unofficial copy of hl2 but install and play it via bought key? ^^

...that's new. Question: are you using a pirated version in place of your normal real version which includes Steam?

No, real copy bought for ?22.99 from my local game store many months back when it was actually released. Proper Steam account registered to me, Half Life 2 and Counter Strike Source.

I think it's pirated, otherwise he wouldn't notice .rar files...

OK... Try this, theyre rarr'ed up to save space, or so that I dont have to repeatedly copy my original dvd disc or maybe just maybe its cause an image of a game can actually be read faster by your computer if its on your hard drive. Take your pick I can think of many more if you would like me to list them for you? Numbnut.

No, we all payed for our game.

So did I. I play CSS online on a daily basis, so dont jump to conclusions.

FYI Half Life 2 is one of the very few games that I have actually bought.
I only wanted to "air" my thoughts and let people know what I had done to resolve the problem that I came across, dont believe me google "Quake 4 + Office 12" for an example of another game affected by it :upstare:

If it was a copied/pirated game as you would try to suggest why would I even bother coming to a place where people here are obviously going to have been ones that have purchased the game themselves. Ask yourself that! Why would I even care if a "pirate game" stopped working, what can you expect from it? It was the fact that its an original that was doing it not a copy!

FYI Half Life 2 is one of the very few games that I have actually bought.
So you usually DON'T pay for your games? You think that actually makes the situation BETTER?

If it was a copied/pirated game as you would try to suggest why would I even bother coming to a place where people here are obviously going to have been ones that have purchased the game themselves. Ask yourself that! Why would I even care if a "pirate game" stopped working, what can you expect from it? It was the fact that its an original that was doing it not a copy!
I don't bloody know why people come here with their pirated game problems, but they do - usually about three new people with illegal version problems each week. The pirated version is pretty easy for us to detect - unfixable AI problems, no Steam, also legal versions of HL2 don't come in a rar file(s).

Valve doesn't use rar files. They use GCF compression. If you do own a Steam Account, simply select HL2 in your Steam browser and click install. No manual installation, or rar files, required.

Valve doesn't use rar files. They use GCF compression. If you do own a Steam Account, simply select HL2 in your Steam browser and click install. No manual installation, or rar files, required.

Tried that unfortunately you have to install HL2 to be able to do that the only thing it lets you do from there on is download and decrypt the files needed for finishing off the installation, including updates for the game. But if you were as you suggest someone who bought the game then surely you would know this already... :dork:

So you usually DON'T pay for your games? You think that actually makes the situation BETTER?

What I do outside of this game is no ones business but my own, all you have to know is that I bought this game. Dont jump to conclusions!

I don't bloody know why people come here with their pirated game problems, but they do - usually about three new people with illegal version problems each week. The pirated version is pretty easy for us to detect - unfixable AI problems, no Steam, also legal versions of HL2 don't come in a rar file(s).

As I said earlier I copied my original dvd disc, compressed it with winrar and have it stored on my computer. Nothing wrong with that is there?

So does this solve the mystery of the rar files now then or not? :hmph:

I only posted this here in case anyone had came across the same thing and was wondering why it was happening.

Well, these discs are protected with CD protection software. Just copying them and RARing them up often won't work.

Well, these discs are protected with CD protection software. Just copying them and RARing them up often won't work.

You read the installation help for HL2? "copy the cd/dvd contents to a folder on your computer and run setup.exe" Steam is HL2's protection not some sub channel data stored on the disc... Regardless, this is moving completely off topic now! :rolling:

Attachments

• DCFC0023.JPG
    DCFC0023.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 251
Can't you just run it from the disc? I did, and I've never had problems with it :p

What I do outside of this game is no ones business but my own, all you have to know is that I bought this game. Dont jump to conclusions!
Great defense. Makes you look REAL innocent.

Tried that unfortunately you have to install HL2 to be able to do that the only thing it lets you do from there on is download and decrypt the files needed for finishing off the installation, including updates for the game.
Why is this a problem for you? EVERYONE has to do this. Trying to avoid Steam?

As I said earlier I copied my original dvd disc, compressed it with winrar and have it stored on my computer. Nothing wrong with that is there?

So does this solve the mystery of the rar files now then or not?
Not really, because:

1) You actually said THEY "could have" rar'ed it to "save space on the disk" (cough, cough), NOT you. NOW you say it WAS you?

2) You wanted to SAVE space by taking an install setup that was stored on a DVD disk and putting it ONTO your hard-drive? How exactly does this SAVE space for you?

3) If the copy "you" rar'ed is screwed, you could either install from "your" disk again, OR load up "your" Steam account and just download the game directly from them. You DO have a Steam account right? Because you sure don't seem to know how Steam works....

4) You make no mention of "It worked when I first bought and installed it" or anything. Is this the first time you are installing it?

I only posted this here in case anyone had came across the same thing and was wondering why it was happening.
How community minded of you. But have you already forgotten that you actually posted here to get help with your illegal version?

Lol at photoshopped timestamp by the way. Where did you get that high quality pic from btw? Google image search? Lol.

You are either EXTREMELY stupid or have a pirated copy.

Shasta said:
Great defense. Makes you look REAL innocent.

Not debating either way the fact if I have "pirated" games or not, so who cares if I "look REAL innocent" or not.

Shasta said:
Why is this a problem for you? EVERYONE has to do this. Trying to avoid Steam?

No.. I have to use Steam or my game wont install, update, or launch. So answering your question of me "trying to avoid Steam" the answer is simply no I have no reason to and by doing so I would make the game unplayable.

Shasta said:
1) You actually said THEY "could have" rar'ed it to "save space on the disk" (cough, cough), NOT you. NOW you say it WAS you?

2) You wanted to SAVE space by taking an install setup that was stored on a DVD disk and putting it ONTO your hard-drive? How exactly does this SAVE space for you?

3) If the copy "you" rar'ed is screwed, you could either install from "your" disk again, OR load up "your" Steam account and just download the game directly from them. You DO have a Steam account right? Because you sure don't seem to know how Steam works....

4) You make no mention of "It worked when I first bought and installed it" or anything. Is this the first time you are installing it?

1: I didnt say "they". Go back and read it again then goto dictionary.com and type the word in that I used :rolls:

2: No that doesnt save space, using Winrar to compress the files did that, and to answer your next question "why do that, that doesnt save space" well Ive done it so my original doesnt get damaged and the disc space is of no concern for me as I have plenty to go round.

3: The copy on my computer is perfectly okay, as I said my problem was an incompatibility with Microsoft Office 2007. Also Id like to point out that you cant just install Steam then download the entire HL2 from Steam, try it... To finish, I do have a Steam account.

4: First time installing it? Game is over a year old just about Ive had it for months and months, of course I didnt try it the day I bought it :dozey:

Shasta said:
How community minded of you. But have you already forgotten that you actually posted here to get help with your illegal version?

Lol at photoshopped timestamp by the way. Where did you get that high quality pic from btw? Google image search? Lol.

You are either EXTREMELY stupid or have a pirated copy.

I have a legit copy, and that photo wasnt anything to do with photoshop I took that with my digicam today, hence the reason I blotted out my serial number from inside the box :LOL:

I am extremely stupid, try reading back through my post. I havent asked for help, not off anyone. I knew what the problem was related to more or less instantly and came here to let people know what I had found, thats all.

Dont call people stupid when you obviously havent read correctly what people have said to you cause it just makes you look stupid in two ways either you didnt read it all and went off half-cocked or you did read it and couldnt understand the words I used! :p

Either way makes you look stupid.

Also, dont try to say I "googled" for this image as well please, before you do just read the account name and my username here and put two and two together. Your wrong.

Attachments

• Steam Login.JPG
    Steam Login.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 225
Not debating either way the fact if I have "pirated" games or not, so who cares if I "look REAL innocent" or not.
YOU might not be debating it, but piracy is not tolerated here.

No.. I have to use Steam or my game wont install, update, or launch. So answering your question of me "trying to avoid Steam" the answer is simply no I have no reason to and by doing so I would make the game unplayable.
Yes, yes, WE all know that, but most pirates don't. Good to see you've done some research.

2: No that doesnt save space, using Winrar to compress the files did that, and to answer your next question "why do that, that doesnt save space" well Ive done it so my original doesnt get damaged and the disc space is of no concern for me as I have plenty to go round.
You ONLY need your disk to install. So why would you go to the trouble of putting it on an HDD to "save" the disk that will probably not be touched more than a dozen times ever? Also you claimed you did it to "save space", now you say space is of no concern? Make up your mind.

3: The copy on my computer is perfectly okay, as I said my problem was an incompatibility with Microsoft Office 2007. Also Id like to point out that you cant just install Steam then download the entire HL2 from Steam, try it... To finish, I do have a Steam account.
Actually you can, you need to log onto an account that you have already made and registered HL2 to.

4: First time installing it? Game is over a year old just about Ive had it for months and months, of course I didnt try it the day I bought it :dozey:
If you said you hadn't installed it before, then I would have questioned why you made a compressed copy of HL2 before ever installing it. It was a "how stupid is this guy" test on you. It's worked before. Congratulations. You have achieved the level of "not quite the stupidest person I've come across".

I have a legit copy, and that photo wasnt anything to do with photoshop I took that with my digicam today, hence the reason I blotted out my serial number from inside the box :LOL:
Of course you did. What better way to prove me wrong than with a blurry pic of a box that could have been taken anytime, anywhere. Good work avoiding my question about the added timestamp.

Blah blah blah
Whatever buddy.

Also, dont try to say I "googled" for this image as well please, before you do just read the account name and my username here and put two and two together. Your wrong.
For someone recommending dictionary.com, you don't seem to know the difference between "you are" and "your". Your pics are not exactly stunning proof of anything either.

To sum up, you have all but admitted to being a pirate, whether you actually payed for HL2 or not. You have also not done a good job convincing me that your rar'ed copy of HL2 is legit.

EDIT: Look! Now I have proof of MY account!!!!!http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/3724/mysteamloginjd1.jpg It even has MY name on it now.

Done in about 60 seconds in photoshop. See why that does NOT count as proof?

Im not asking you to tolerate piracy, my view on it shouldnt be questioned as I havent came here to argue the toss over wether or not my game is a copy be it a pirate copy bought or downloaded or the copy I made of mine on the computer. Read back through this hole thing, especially what I have said, game is copied for my convenience, saving my disc which has been removed only twice from its box (not half a dozen times like you suggest) fact there rarred up just means to me you have no concept of why I would do that I suppose you would stupidly do this yourself okay but instead you would keep a big 3000 + megabyte file somwhere on your computer, you come to use it one day to find out that somehow its corrupt you now have only one choice and have to get your original copy back out either to copy it again to your computer or to install it from a disc thus scratching the disc some more but instead of doing that I used my head and rarred the file up adding a recovery record for the file so if it does come up corrupt I have many mores options than you. I can simply extract the file ignoring errors or I can fix the part of it thats broken and get my original file back out of it that I made oh so long ago. Now do you understand?

Shasta said:
Yes, yes, WE all know that, but most pirates don't. Good to see you've done some research.

Do yours... There is an offline installer for the game anyway. Also the thing you said about being able to install the game from having only Steam installed, it doesnt work. I have tried it, also judging by the silly speeds that Steam can give you 3000+ megabyte would take a very, very long time to download off them.

Okay so which one are you doing? Not reading this all and going off half-cocked or did you not understand me again?

Shasta said:

Look up the word They're then go back a few posts to where I said "theyre rarred up" :p

Also the remark about the time stamp on the photo my camera put that there not me. I took these with my phone today, hope theyre of a high enough quality for you this time. :LOL:

Dont worry, we all do it occasionally... Jump the gun, go off half-cocked, well personally I dont or atleast cant remember the last time I did but as Ive seen and anyone else that reads this has seen you definetly do. You say I have practically admitted to being a pirate, I havent and am not, I have backups of my games on my computer but who cares I paid for them so Ill look after them in a way I see fit and thats by keeping them untouched in there boxes!

DVD
Front
Back
Open

Im not asking you to tolerate piracy, my view on it shouldnt be questioned as I havent came here to argue the toss over wether or not my game is a copy....
Well you brought that debate upon yourself. Anyone admitting to having a rar of HL2 instantly rings alarm bells. As piracy is not tolerated here, especially of HL2, I don't see why you can't understand how this is a problem to be looked into. It's entirely possible that you do have a legal version. But you are ringing all the wrong bells, and doing some pointless and some legally questionable things in any case.

I suppose you would stupidly do this yourself okay but instead you would keep a big 3000 + megabyte file somwhere on your computer,...
But YOU are keeping a large file on your PC that is already on a DVD, thus wasting space. I haven't. I've left mine on the disk, as most people have. Also, how in the hell are you going to scratch it if you have only used it twice, or even a dozen times anyway? Are you THAT incompetent with disks?

Do yours... There is an offline installer for the game anyway.
So you have done some research into illegal versions and installs then. How nice for you. Doesn't make you sound bad at all...

Also the remark about the time stamp on the photo my camera put that there not me. I took these with my phone today, hope theyre of a high enough quality for you this time. :LOL:
Love it how you highlight your bad grammar. It's "they're". Anyway, if you want to prove things with pics, it's usually a good idea to include things in the background that can't be disputed, like this thread for example, making it clear that it has not been added in later with photoshop, all in good quality and not blurry. By all means cover any CD keys etc though. Those pics could be from ANYWHERE and ANYONE. They have NOTHING in them to link them to you at all. Of course, even then it could just be you room-mates copy, or a friends etc. Who knows.

Right, enough debating about his view on piracy: When it comes to HL2 it's obvious he bought it, the pictures prove this. Everyone has bad grammar (but some have more problems than others :p), that isn't really the topic here.

Now, seeing as you've already got Half-Life 2 INSTALLED, why the hell do you want to reinstall it? (BTW haven't read all the replies thoroughly, just skimmed them)

EDIT: Oh, I see the problem here. You think the "decryption" of the files isn't going to occur if you install it from the DVD. Sorry, ain't going to happen :p Decryption is a common process for all Steam games, and is used to verify no corrupted data has been accidentally downloaded. It only takes ten minutes or something.

BTW nice keycode :p (Don't worry, it's already bound to your account so nobody can steal it, but if they manage to get hold of your e-mail address and some more personal information, they might be able to contact Steam Support and say you stole their account).

Back