Europe Asks If It Can Probe Uranus

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
well at least they asked

Even the best telescopes on Earth or in Earth orbit have a tough time studying something so far away. And so far Voyager 2 is the only spacecraft that's paid Uranus a visit, snapping a few pictures back in 1986 on its way to the outer reaches of the solar system.

(See "Hubble Reveals New Moons, Rings Around Uranus.")

But the European Space Agency (ESA) wants to change all that, according to a recent article on the astronomy enthusiast website Skymania.

Their writers snagged an interview with Chris Arridge of University College London's Mullard Space Science Laboratory, leader of the team of scientists who submitted a proposal to ESA in December for the Uranus Pathfinder mission.

According to the mission website: "All the major components of the solar system are being actively explored in situ by spacecraft apart from the ice giant planets Uranus and Neptune. Yet the ice giants are an important and essentially unknown part of the solar system, they have a unique place in planet formation, and are crucial in understanding exoplanetary systems."

hopefully they'll buy dinner first. maybe even a movie

http://blogs.nationalgeographic.com...rbit/2011/01/europe-asks-to-probe-uranus.html

Ha ha, Uranus, I get it.

By all means, go for it.

I support just about any proposed space missions.

Do eet. Although I wonder if all that money could be better spent on other experiments.

Holy shit, that was National Geographic's actual title.

Europe shouldn't have to ask for permission, Uranus belongs to us, we found it.

Back