EVE Online

Got the regular Caldari ship. Going to touch it up of course. Was not a fan of the Minmatar ship they picked.

When picking a race for the first time, I asked myself "Which ship would you be more likely to see undocking from an Imperial Star Destroyer?"

Caldari it was.

Why not just fly a Star Destroyer?

hurricanebyspectre257.jpg

blah blah, bad image example and all that.

Haha, they broke their own PLEX economy.

I'm sure many smart traders would have bought a bunch of Plex's before this and are now reaping in the profits!

Prices wont stay high for long tho, things like this never do.

I guess they really wanted to sell more PLEXes. Seems like a horrible way to waste money considering how tiny the portaits are...

I remember a time when a GTC was like 500mil. I have been playing WoW lately thus the whole "Not Eve Online!" I keep playing. I'm going to re-sub soon though with Eve. Generally the best PVP ships are Minmatar and longer roaming fights you want Amaar. While Minmatar look like shit, they are fast, pack a punch, have loads of high slots (more guns) and their guns don't use the capacitor (meaning you can keep that MWD on). You don't need to tank the enemy because a destroyed ship doesn't shoot back! :naughty: Amaar don't use ammo which is great for not running out of ammo. Also when you siege POS or stations, using no ammo is the way to go. They are heavily dependent on the capacitor though. Gallente I'm not sure exactly what they do right other than their drones. Gallente and Caldari are great both for PVE but Caldari are even better. Caldari you can have specific damage types and have better ships for jamming but really, Gallente and Caldari are for making ISK.

However the worst race IMO is Caldari with missiles. All the races either use lasers, or some form of projectile but Caldari are dependent upon missiles. With missiles the damage isn't dealt instantly and fast ships can easily make missiles chase which burn out and are lost. Second worst would probably be Gallente because they got the short range blasters (you don't kiss your enemy while holding a giant space gun jeez) and bots usually can't keep up.

I'm afraid that's all rubbish hool. Fights are so dependant on fits and tactics. There is just to much rock, paper, scissors to make statements like that

Well, I got into the Captain's quarters for the first time today. 2 fps, Eve is officially unplayable for me now. Also, everyone should join the hl2.net chat room.

That's strange my Captain's Quarters runs ok... but that's what I've seen a few times on forums. Captains Quarters are kind of pointless though. You don't even need to look at them. They should definitely make it something you can disable.

I'm afraid that's all rubbish hool. Fights are so dependant on fits and tactics. There is just to much rock, paper, scissors to make statements like that
It's true other than Drake armies. I got a small Drake Army vid I did back in the day on my youtube account. For PVP it's Minmatar>Amarr and for PVE it's Caldari>Gallente.

Well, I got into the Captain's quarters for the first time today. 2 fps, Eve is officially unplayable for me now. Also, everyone should join the hl2.net chat room.

Pssst, time to upgrade from windows 95.

Pssst, time to upgrade from windows 95.

I'm going to build a new system here in a couple weeks or so, but for now all I have to work with is a craptop.

— Email Starts—-

Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 18:16:54 -0400
To: [email protected]
Subject: ccp ceo global msg sent today
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=”UTF-8?
Message-Id: <[email protected]>

sent by hilmar to ccp global list-

(strt)

We live in interesting times; in fact CCP is the kind of company that if things get repetitive we instinctively crank it up a notch. That, we certainly have done this week. First of we have Incarna, an amazing technological and artistic achievement. A vision from years ago realized to a point that no one could have imaged but a few months ago. It rolls out without a hitch, is in some cases faster than what we had before, this is the pinnacle of professional achievement. For all the noise in the channel we should all stand proud, years from now this is what people will remember.

But we have done more, not only have we redefined the production quality one can apply to virtual worlds with the beautiful Incarna but we have also defined what it really means to make virtual reality more meaningful than real life when it comes to launching our new virtual goods currency, Aurum.

Naturally, we have caught the attention of the world. Only a few weeks ago we revealed more information about DUST 514 and now we have done it again by committing to our core purpose as a company by redefining assumptions. After 40 hours we have already sold 52 monocles, generating more revenue than any of the other items in the store.

This we have done after months of research by a group of highly competent professionals, soliciting input and perspective from thought leaders and experts in and around our industry. We have communicated our intention here internally in very wide circles through the Virtual Economy Summit presentation at the GSM, our Fearless newsletter, sprint reviews, email lists and multiple other channels. This should not come as a surprise to anyone.

Currently we are seeing _very predictable feedback_ on what we are doing. Having the perspective of having done this for a decade, I can tell you that this is one of the moments where we look at what our players do and less of what they say. Innovation takes time to set in and the predictable reaction is always to resist change.

We went out with a decisive strategy on pricing and we will stay the course and not flip flop around or knee jerk react to the predictable. That is not saying nothing will change, on the contrary, in fact we know that success in this space is through learning and adapting to _what is actually happening_ and new knowledge gained in addition to what we knew before and expected.

All that said, I couldn’t be prouder of what we have accomplished as a company, changing the world is hard and we are doing it as so many times before! Stay the course, we have done this many times before.

(end)

That is an internal corporate e-mail from CCP CEO Hilmar. Meanwhile some very high profile Eve players have been banned for their vocal outrage and even the Mittani who is with the CSM has come out and expressed his outrage. CCP also put out a weak blog post for damage control but rather attacked the community. Meanwhile it appears the Eve community is going to the major trading hubs in the game and are amassing in a protest and firing upon the Amarr statues in Jita and Amarr. Eve Online has a community that is quite unlike anything you will ever see and the best. Mainly what Incarna has brought is $80 monocles, lag and bugs, and this internal document named "Greed is Good?" which can be viewed here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-23-ccp-greed-is-good

I think I rolled my eyes five times when they were discussing the issue of clothing being too pricey, and why they are justifying $1,000 dollar jeans.

Whichever it is, it is clear that by wearing clothes you are expressing yourself and that the price is one of the many dimensions that clothes possess to do that in addition to style and fit. You don't need to buy expensive clothes. In fact you don't need to buy any clothes. Whatever you choose to do reflects what you are and what you want others to think you are.

Dear ****ing god.

What I hate is people on the outside saying "it's just clothes and Eve Online players are raging over this"? CCP is backing up those people however everybody knows the real reason which they stated in "Greed is Good" in which ships, faction ammo, and faction standings can be bought. So basically you can pirate non-stop and pay with real money for ships and ammo and when your sec status gets too low, just pay CCP off.

That is an internal corporate e-mail from CCP CEO Hilmar. Meanwhile some very high profile Eve players have been banned for their vocal outrage and even the Mittani who is with the CSM has come out and expressed his outrage. CCP also put out a weak blog post for damage control but rather attacked the community. Meanwhile it appears the Eve community is going to the major trading hubs in the game and are amassing in a protest and firing upon the Amarr statues in Jita and Amarr. Eve Online has a community that is quite unlike anything you will ever see and the best. Mainly what Incarna has brought is $80 monocles, lag and bugs, and this internal document named "Greed is Good?" which can be viewed here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-23-ccp-greed-is-good

I think after reading that email and article I might be officially put off from resubbing for a long, long time. I had no idea how arrogant and snotty CCP were.

Also, way to avoid the questions CCP.

People are over reacting big time with this. To me yes it looks like the prices for this stuff is FAR FAR to high but at the end of the day ccp have a great record for iteration and listening to the community. I'm sure at some point very soon with all the cry babys and low sales they will drop the prices and sort it out.

Secondly its not like anyone is fored to buy anything, its not like a few items of cloths will make people better pilets or more powerful. EvE has been going for what, 8 years now and they have a formula that works and I'm sure they will not be putting anything in that would break the game.

Edit
Just read the euro gamer article and now it makes everyone sound even more ridiculous. There is nothing in that article that suggests they WILL sell things like ships and ammo, all it is are some notes from some discussions between developers. Some folk throwing some ideas around and having a natter to see how they could possibly fit in some micro-translation extras. The chances of them selling gear in that way is pretty much Zero, it would just break they game.

Right now I'm not concerned. The prices for vanity items are ridiculous, but I'm not really inclined to buy a monocle for an avatar pic the size of my thumbnail. I don't have a dog in that fight.

What does worry me is the possibility of having microtransactions extend into skills, implants, or ships. There is clearly a desire there by the admission of some CCP devs, and I think the only reason they haven't gone ahead with it is because the huge backlash they'd have with such an addition right now. But give it a few years time, when payment options like this become more and more the norm? I'm sure they're going to be putting a lot more thought into it. And while I generally enjoy reading their devblogs and feedback, their rationalizations can be pretty dismissive and weak. The clothing store is optional, but it's still terrible value for your money no matter how you slice it. It's not like you can prance that shit around Orgrimmar or anything (atm).

Not currently subbed FYI, so I haven't had a chance to try out Incarna yet (though I want to so bad). Just my thoughts.

The reality of this all is that they created a game structure where the more time you play, and thus the more you server resources you take up, the less you have to pay. Not to mention they made a game that for years scared away new people. Then they probably spent many thousands (guessing) on an advertising campaign on pretty much every remotely game related website on the internet. I'm really amazed it took them this long to start trying to squeeze a little extra milk out of that frail little cow.

Not to mention they made a game that for years scared away new people. Then they probably spent many thousands (guessing) on an advertising campaign on pretty much every remotely game related website on the internet. I'm really amazed it took them this long to start trying to squeeze a little extra milk out of that frail little cow.

Pretty much this. Also why I couldn't stop eye rolling when they were talking about what amazing feat Incarna was. They have a long way to go, it's kind of surprising it has taken them this long to implement these sorts of things.

The tone and demeanor of my blog on Friday did not correctly portray my emotions towards the community and player base at large. I love and respect EVE and its community on a level that’s hard to really do justice in words. However I let my frustration take charge of me, fueled by emotions that had built up due to a breach of trust we at CCP have been experiencing over the past few days. I know that sounds ironic considering those are the exact same feelings you have been having towards CCP.

For that I am sorry.

Having cooled off a bit and taken a solemn look at the situation, I see it’s clear we need to strengthen the deep mutual trust and respect that’s been so unique and descriptive of our relationship. There are certain questions you want answered and there isn’t room for more error in our communication on those topics or our perception of the root causes.

Therefore we have asked the CSM to join us in Iceland for an extraordinary meeting June 30th and July 1st to discuss the events of past week, to help us define and address the real underlying concerns, and to assist us in defining and iterating on our virtual goods strategy.

The result of this meeting should be mutual agreement of how virtual goods and services will evolve in EVE. Other issues may be brought up and we urge you to contact the CSM with your comments and concerns so that they may be addressed at this session.

However, just to prove the point of the Fearless newsletter and give you a further understanding of what it is then there are no and never have been plans to sell “gold ammo” for Aurum. In Fearless people are arguing a point, which doesn’t even have to be their view, they are debating an issue. This is another example of how information out of context is no information at all.

Due to the volatility of the topic we want to refrain from any further comments on this matter until after meeting with the CSM.

Thank you for your patience,

Arnar Hrafn Gylfason

Senior Producer of EVE Online
Now the CSM is the Community Inter-Stellar Managemnet aka players who have been elected as board members to represent the community. They play the game, they talk and play with the players so they now what is going on. They give CCP a hand in telling them what is and what isn't working right with Eve Online and CCP tells them what is coming in the future. There is contracts they have to sign, etc but essentially they act like a board of directors. I think they meet annually or something and volunteer for it, and are voted for by players. Now the Mittani, who is the Chairman of the CSM, and is the whole mastermind of major Eve heists and just generally a crazy bastard that was part of Goonswarm said this:
This blog is a promising but much-delayed first step. The events of the past few days have left me feeling skeptical of the entire situation, since the May Summit itself went peachy, yet then these issues with the NeX prices cropped up, undiscussed, out of nowhere – not to mention the Hilmar mail, Greed is Good, et cetera.

Mark me down on the ‘actions not words’ end of the scale – In Reykjavik, I’m going to want to see exactly how the NeX prices were decided upon, how they were drafted, and which suits where were behind this nonsense – and who chose to not mention this to the CSM. Perhaps most important is understanding the degree of financial motivation behind this, and why it came from CCP like a bolt from the blue, and thus how likely similar bolts from the blue might be in the future.

I don’t have much more to say beyond what I’ve already said on Eve Radio and in my CEO Update, which is crossposted on Kugu and Failheap.

We’ll see how Reykjavik goes.

There is also a rumor stating Sony Online Entertainment is in talks for CCP to work together. At first this scared me even more because DUST 514 is a PS3 exclusive and SWG was just announced to shut down. However CCP has downplayed this and stated it's fake. However I have no clue what is real anymore. The CSM are just as surprised as we all are and CCP has worked for years to maintain a symbiotic relationship with the players. There has been dev's giving items to player corps and those people were dealt with and people joke all the time they still do. This latest Incarna bit has really harmed CCP though. It will take more than a free Quafe shirt. They have to be honest to the community from now on to the CSM and community. Most importantly is to LISTEN, not just state it in a blog and not do, BUT LISTEN to what the community wants! Top of the list items is the way tech 2 production works (tech moons), super caps, 0.0 warfare, and the way industry works as whole.

Looks nice, though I've never really warmed up to the raven as a pve ship. It's much too boring.

Nighthawks are sexier. Ravens are only popular because the Drake lacks some DPS in some of the harder missions.

They need to add LED lights and a little push button on the base so it's sound activated, and actually paint it. How much was S&H anyways?

They should definitely make it something you can disable.
They have done.
That is the dumbest ****ing thing ever. So in order to buy clothes you need Aurum, in order to get aurum you have to buy plex, in order to buy plex you need to have isk?
No. PLEX is bought for $ and can be converted to Aurum or sold to other players for ISK. Items bought with Aurum can also be sold to players for ISK, possibly with some exceptions.
So in the end all Aurum items and PLEX are bought from CCP with $ but will often be used to get ISK from other players. Legal RMT.
It's true other than Drake armies. I got a small Drake Army vid I did back in the day on my youtube account. For PVP it's Minmatar>Amarr and for PVE it's Caldari>Gallente.
Grow a brain.

Yeah I turned it off. Nothing to do in there but watch that TV. I can watch TV on my own time. I don't need to walk painfuly slow around a little captain's area to access the menus I can always access on the left side.

Statement from CCP here: http://www.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&bid=935
Statement from the CSM: http://www.evenews24.com/2011/07/02...anagement-from-the-mittani-chairman-of-csm-6/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kat_uoAvnk
There was compromises made but overall the CSM won which was expected it's just up to CCP ultimately to follow their word and listen to the community from now on. Don't think it was all work though. The Mittani was tweeting talking about how much drinking he was doing. I don't know what it is with Eve Online players but most get completely drunk when they party. The fan fests look like a college party or something.

I've always wished I could get into this community. It's so interesting and formal.

But so impossible.

The whole drama was simply due to CCP's poor communication, as usual. There were never any plans for game balance affecting microtransactions, CSM didn't "win" or force them to back down or whatever, they just got the message communicated.

Back