EXCLUSIVE: Half-Life 2: Raising the Bar Review

Chris D

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Valve Software and Prima Games recently gave us the opportunity to review their latest book - Half-Life 2: Raising the Bar.[br]
[br]
Along with the review of the book Valve and Prima have provided us with exclusive shots from the book for your viewing pleasure.[br]
[br]
So what are you waiting for? Go and check out the review and ten whole pages from the book by clicking here.

Moofy said:
not a very objective review imo
It's a book filled with art and short narrative... you either like it or you don't.

Chris_D said:
It's a book filled with art and short narrative... you either like it or you don't.

True, there isn't too much to review, besides the actual content of the guide book :)

Delayed items
1 of: Half-Life 2: Raising the Bar, by DAVID HODGSON
- Updated shipping estimate: November 25 - December 2
- Updated delivery estimate: December 10 - December 28

What more is there to say? :p

I realy liked it, hmmm I might get it, :)

very cool pics though

Does this mean, that the blue thingy that stabed a combine is out of the game ?

Adrien C said:
Does this mean, that the blue thingy that stabed a combine is out of the game ?
Yup. Either it was a crappy enemy to fight, it was too hard to add in or it will end up in HL3/an expansion pack.

Can't wait for that book to arrive. Game said that they're picking and packing it (after a most misleading e-mail).

Nice. I just got the book today. Its insane.

wow, those italy paintings alone have made me want to buy it, looks gorgeous

Barns N Noble got that book, I'm gonna go in and read it tommorow.

Anyone know if its out in any UK retailers? I ordered it off amazon.co.uk but they are crap and tell me an get it until xmas!!

Great review Chris_D. I wonder if the book is available in Norway.

I wish they wouldn't show us stuff that might get cut. It only sets us up for disappointment.

I think ill just not watch any media anymore for any up and coming valve games :|

I'm really hard thinking what should i buy: "rising the bar" or "prima guide".
Someone could tell me in a nutshell what is in each of those books?

Cujo said:
I'm really hard thinking what should i buy: "rising the bar" or "prima guide".
Someone could tell me in a nutshell what is in each of those books?
Well as you can see from my review Raising the Bar is a book full of art from the development of all Valve titles, including lots of stuff that was cut out as well as interesting bits of information from various Valve staff.

The guide is nice... It covers every single part of the gameplay you could imagine. It is literally a comprehensive walkthrough - the kind you'd see on www.gamefaqs.com, only printed in a book in full colour with even higher quality hints, tips and info than you'd see at Gamefaqs.com

Hey Chris, You are from the UK right? I know you probably were lucky enough to get a copy straight from Valve (damn you :p) but can you find out from someone at the team if they possibly know if there are currently any UK retailers selling the book as we speak or if not what is happening to sales of the book in the UK?

At the moment im having a nightmare trying to get hold of a copy before xmas!

Cheers

brisck1 said:
Hey Chris, You are from the UK right? I know you probably were lucky enough to get a copy straight from Valve (damn you :p) but can you find out from someone at the team if they possibly know if there are currently any UK retailers selling the book as we speak or if not what is happening to sales of the book in the UK?

At the moment im having a nightmare trying to get hold of a copy before xmas!

Cheers
I've sent Cliffe the link (he lead the project) so he'll reply to this thread if he has an update :)

Uh oh, several UK shops are showing the book as "coming 10.12.2004" and so does Amazon.com when checking your Order Summary. So was the first print sold out that quickly or what's the big deal? I had the book pre-ordered from amazon anyway but didn't help much. It might be january before my Amazon.com shipment arrives :(

As far as I'm aware they should have been released on 12/11/2004 - at least that's what their press release said.

Though, of course, that might have been America only so it is pheasable that the fine UK people amongst you will have to wait until 10th December. I'm trying to get comment from Prima though :)

Chris_D said:
Though, of course, that might have been America only so it is pheasable that the fine UK people amongst you will have to wait until 10th December. I'm trying to get comment from Prima though :)

Fine UK people including the whole Europe ;) I'm from Finland and the fact is if you want something special (ie. not Harry Potters translated into Finnish) you have to order it from UK/Germany/even USA. The problem is though that not even amazon.com (located in America) has the book at the moment.

Actually now that I checked it, the book is nowhere to be found from ebgames site either, gamestop.com seems to still have some books left. 25$ shipping is a minor drawback though :LOL:

Back