Exclusive Portal 2 DLC for Razer Hydra owners - brand new gameplay mechanics

Lanthanide

Reaction score
So owners of the gimmick-tacular Razer Hydras get their own little enticements to buy the device. Essentially it's a movement-based controller, somewhat similar to Xbox Kinect, although it uses a magnetic field to pick up your motions.

Here's the razer website: http://www.razerzone.com/minisite/hydra
Here's a YouTube video of one of the Portal 2 levels, showing the new mechanics (stretching cubes, levitating objects a la gravity gun, re-positioning portals): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_1Ao2cd5BM

Well it's a bit unlike Kinect in that you actually have a controller. I wonder if I had the cash to spend whether this or the Novint would be more fun.

List of supported games here. Some noteable games include Amnesia, Assassin's Creed, Company of Heroes, Amnesia, Deus Ex, GTA VC and 4, Hitman, Half-Life, Magicka, ****ing Oddworld, STALKER and World of Goo. **** it. Most of the supported games are awesome.

I must say that i think these new mechanics look interesting. I'm not sure about making them exclusive to owners of this device, but it seems to showcase what it can do pretty well

[...] Some noteable games include Amnesia, Assassin's Creed, Company of Heroes, Amnesia, Deus Ex, GTA VC and 4, Hitman, Half-Life, Magicka, ****ing Oddworld, STALKER and World of Goo. **** it. Most of the supported games are awesome.
[...]

Did you perhaps... forget that you had already listed that one?

Can't say I'm particularly interested in this for Portal 2 (or any other games for which my trusty $10 mouse and $15 keyboard work), but I could see some pretty interesting games being made with that controller as part of the core gameplay mechanics. Just not a big fan of shoehorning gimmicky controls into an already good game.

It is just me or do the expandable boxes and the slide around portals some how "break" or "conflict" with the feel of portal? As a demonstration of the device its pretty cool, but I don't think I'd want them in my portal game... it'd just feel... weird.

Back