Fall Of Saigon (HL2) - recruiting team members

MonkOnFire

Reaction score
Hi, I'm MonkOnFire, weapons modeller for Fall of Saigon,

Overview

Fall of Saigon is a Vietnam War modification for Half-Life 2. Get ready to step into the shoes of either soldiers of the North Vietnamese Army, or US Troops, battling through the forests of Vietnam. Fall of Saigon will feature realistic maps and gameplay, with historically correct weapons and vehicles. This means no sniper rifles and no advanced technology. Fall of Saigon is about close combat fighting through the forests, strategic and team-orientated maps, and huge firefights. Grab your rifle (and bayonet!) and get ready for hell…

Features

:: Teams – Play as either a US Marine or fight as a member of the Vietcong defending the homeland.

:: Game Modes - There will be many different game modes in Fall of Saigon, with unique objectives and scenarios. This can include capturing certain areas of the map, defending certain areas for a certain amount of time, crossing bridges or roads, or simply eliminating the opposing team.

:: Maps – Fall Of Saigon will feature huge, 64-player maps where every area will be a dangerous warzone. This means travelling along the frontline in APCs or destroying enemy artillery with your tank will be of great strategic importance to each team.

:: Points - Points are awarded by achieving certain objectives or completing certain tasks. For a kill you get more points depending on how higher-ranking the troop you kill is. The highest-ranking player on the team that wins can also give more points to the one player on their team who they believe showed the most merit and determination, and helped their team the most.

:: Revolutionary Ranking System – Fall of Saigon will feature a unique, revolutionary ranking system, where the higher rank you are, the more authority of your team you have. Therefore, different ranks can call in air strikes, vehicles, and capture buildings.

:: Communication – Fall of Saigon will feature an easy communication feature where players can directly communicate with certain members. For instance, if some US Troops on the frontline are taking heavy fire, they can easily and quickly call in a player with an M48 tank to help break up the assault.

:: AI Support – Fall of Saigon will also feature AI jet fighter support. This means high-ranking North Vietnamese officers can call in airstrikes from AI MiGs to break up fighting in the jungles.

Weaponry (uncomfirmed)

Weapons of the United States

M-14 Rifle
M-16A1 Rifle
M-16A1 + M-203 Grenade Launcher
CAR-15 Assault Rifle
M-20 Rocket Launcher
M-79 Grenade Launcher
81 mm Mortar
M-1928 Thompson Sub Machine Gun
M-1911 Handgun
M-36 Handgun
Grenades

F4 Phantom II
M48 Tank
M113 APC

Weapons of North Vietnam

AK-47 Assault Rifle
Simonov SKS Rifle
RPD Machine Gun
PPSh41 Sub Machine Gun
MAT-49 Sub Machine Gun
RPG-7 Rocket Launcher
81 mm Mortar
Tokarev Handgun
Makarov Handgun
Booby Traps - more info will follow!!

MiG-21
T-54/55 Tank
BTR60 APC

The website is ready to be put up and work is nearing starting point, but we need your help to make this work. Fall of Saigon is currently looking for modders in most fields to create an unforgettable Vietnam experience.
So if you are a:

Webmaster
Concept Artist
2D/Texture Artist
Weapons or Character Modeller
Weapons or Character Animator
Weapons or Character Skinner
C++ Programmer
Hammer Level Designer
Sound Technician

or have any other skill, and are looking to join a promising modification, please PM me and I'll send you more information on the project and what sort've work you will be required to do.

Thankyou very much for reading,
MonkOnFire

Looks like you have things pretty well outlined. I wish you luck on your mod, but if I were to give you some constructiive advice, it'd be to do something a little more original. There are already lots of war-themed mods set in Vietnam and other places. I'd hate for your work to be overlooked in a flooded market.

But we all have dreams to follow. I wish you luck on yours.

-Hal

Vietnam is jungle not a forest, A forest is 1 layer, As a jungle is 2 and 3, But sometimes a forest has a thin second layer.

Oh and goodluck, But there are already 3 vietnam mods.

Okay, here's a little update:

ak-47-wip-materialpractice.jpg

Let me just stress that is a very early WIP. I am not posting for praise or anything, just to show that we are not a team that lasts for a couple of minutes, this is a serious mod and there is more progress everyday. The website will be up soon, so watch out for us.

We are still recruiting, so please PM me if you can help in any way.

Thanks again.

Okay, we've had lots of applications and our team is working hard everyday. We still have vacancies though so please PM me if you want to help out.

Cheers.

Sorry, I was in a rush yesterday when typing that, and forgot to mention. Our team merged with another Vietnam War mod team and have come up with awesome new gameplay ideas and features. Ignore the old weapons and aircraft list, that has been totally redone.

Just to let you know a tiny taster about some of the features, the new mod (un-named), will feature napalm and airstrikes. US soldiers respawn in the back of a chopper and will be flown to the nearest captured point, where it can be shot down and they can shoot out of the chopper. We will also include a simple but very useful underground network of tunnels for Vietcong troops. Our programmer has the new ranking system done, and we should have some concept art to show you soon.

But we are still in dire need of Photoshop experts, for web graphics and other 2D graphics, and mappers. But if you can help out in any other way, please still contact me through PM and I'll tell you more about what you will be required to do.

Cheers.

Oh by the way, I will ignore the weapons list, But just so you know, They never ever used the thompson in vietnam (Although some militia men did), And the M20 is a recoilless rifle not a rocket launcher.

Having read many non ficition novels and worked proffesionally as a designer on a recent vietnam game I know for a fact that the M1A1 Thompson SMG was used regularly in Vietnam (early on) because of its reliability over the M16 (later modified as the M16A1 with a forward assist and additional minor changes), less frequent jamming etc. Often the ARVN Rangers received them as their weapons because of their age and abundance.

Docm30 said:
Oh by the way, I will ignore the weapons list, But just so you know, They never ever used the thompson in vietnam (Although some militia men did), And the M20 is a recoilless rifle not a rocket launcher.

Actually, the M-67 is a recoilless rifle. the M-20 is a rocket launcher.

Okay, sorry to bump this thread, but we are still recuiting. The Mod has been renamed to Broken Arrow and we have plently more staff. You can expect a website launch soon but we need a couple more members to help with the first media update.

Sorry to bump again but we are desperate for a website designer. They don't even need to write the code or anything, we just need someone to make the design and layout and we would be very grateful :)

There's is a lot going on in other departments but we are just lacking a nice site, so please PM me!!!

The Mod has been renamed to Broken Arrow and we have plently more staff.
So the mod will be about an accident involving (or the loss of) nuclear weapons?

I suspect the term "broken arrow" existed prior to the invention of nuclear weapons.

Somehow I don't think they're doing a mod about a city in Oklahoma, or an indian territory, etc.

Borken Arrow was a wel known Vietnam term used by ground units to call in air support, and fits our mod because players will be able to call in AI airstrikes and napalm attacks.

MonkOnFire said:
Sorry to bump again but we are desperate for a website designer. They don't even need to write the code or anything, we just need someone to make the design and layout and we would be very grateful :)

There's is a lot going on in other departments but we are just lacking a nice site, so please PM me!!!

Check out my thread - see sig. I'll be more than glad than to help design and/or run a site for you!

Back