Fallout 3 Q&A !

Oh yes! I Cant wait for this game!

*reads*

SWEET! I thought it was cancelled!?! Who picked it up?

The interview revealed nothing, only that they're making the game. I found it far more interesting to read this article, it describes in 27 ways why BOS sucked. It's quite funny to see just how much the developers screwed up :LOL:

Heres what sums up the article:

conclusion said:
Team Chucky didn't need to change the Brotherhood of Steels' emblem. They didn't need to put in the thong chicks. They didn't need to take the science out of the descriptions. They didn't need to alter almost everything that's already been established in the Fallout universe just to make a console action game. They could have very easily followed what had already been established, they could have very easily made a Fallout action game that actually FOLLOWED the previous Fallout's. Instead, Interplay shows us that once again, half-arsing the situation is what they're best at.

Truth be told, it's not FO:BOS slightly deviating from the Fallout story that's concerning. More than likely, a "story excuse" can be made as to why the BoS became heavy mutie hunters. We can conveniently ignore the FEV that Vault-Tec have gotten their hands on (considering the FEV that makes the Super Mutants in Fallout 1 was actually modified by the Master). We can probably make up some story excuse that fits a lot of what is occuring. It's just 'that feeling' that seems lost from this game. The indescribable feeling that the setting and atmosphere creates. Item descriptions on the web-site indicate a lack of care about most things. Who cares about the neat science descriptions? We just need to protect the jewels OMFG LOL!!11! As for 50's music? Phooey! Get rid of that crap and get some techno in there! What about women? Well, sex sells, so let's throw in as many of them in thongs as we can! What's most concerning, is this entire development teams approach to Fallout. Fallout isn't a great atmosphere with a rich background. Oh no, to them, Fallout is...
action_fo.jpg

Throw in over-done "Better than sex" and yup, that's Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel. I wonder if the game comes with a free box of tissues?

To these guys, Fallout is cool just because it's cool. It's like Marge Simpson in that episode where she's talking to Bart and Lisa about how she's cool because she doesn't think she's cool and "that's what makes her cool" right? Read through the FOBOS website and check out the interviews made by Chucky. All over, you find him talking about how cool Fallout is, without him actually realising why it's cool. The designers just don't know why Fallout is 'cool'. To them, shooting stuff is cool and therefore, making Fallout where you get to shoot stuff is cool. That's not why Fallout is cool. It's 'cool' because it's good. It's 'cool' because it's well done. The setting, the songs, the theme, the descriptions, the not-so-over-done hookers. That's what makes Fallout good. Well, that and the science and repair skills and the multiple endings (but that'd be me bagging this because it's an action game and I said I'd try hard not to do that). That's what's good about Fallout. Sadly, none of that appears to be in this game.

In conclusion, I don't mind games being made FOR 12 year old console gamers, that's fine. What I do mind is console games being made BY 12 year old console gamers. At least Interplay are living up to their motto. By gamers for gamers? You betcha!

P.S. If you want to buy FO:BOS anyway, make sure you pre-order FO:BOS as quick as you can. Every pre-order of FO:BOS through the Interplay web-site comes with a free special gift. One with every box! Order yours today!

Key quote, "console gamers who aren't familiar with Fallout". Yep, the Fallout game that's NOT being made for Fallout fans. Great idea, isn't it? Take an existing franchise that's now five years old, screw over the fans that have been around the game for those five years, and make a game that not only do none of them want, but target it at a bunch of people who don't even know what Fallout is. In that case, why have "Fallout" in the title at all? That'd be like Nintendo making another Super Mario game, only turning Mario into some kind of Rambo character, removing all the puzzles and releasing it on the PC. HEY! THAT'S A GREAT IDEA!!

Oh god, why are they giving it to Bethesda? Surely Troika or Obsidian would be a better idea, as they have (or possibly had) some of the guys who worked on 1 + 2. I doubt that even if the same people made it it would be as good as the originals. Bethesda will just make it another massive first person rpg which is okay for a few hours, then becomes unplayable (aka. morrowind).

Fallout 1 - Great game
Fallout 2 - Great game
Fallout Brotherhood of Steel - Not a Great Game
Fallout 3 - ??

That interview said nothing at all.... boooooooooring.

I wonder what the story would be like. I mean in FO2, everything was solved, right? You recovered the chip and everything went well. I suppose some bad mutant or sumthin survived and threatened to destroy the new found nation.

As little information the interview held, at least its in development :D

Planeforger said:
Oh god, why are they giving it to Bethesda? Surely Troika or Obsidian would be a better idea, as they have (or possibly had) some of the guys who worked on 1 + 2. I doubt that even if the same people made it it would be as good as the originals. Bethesda will just make it another massive first person rpg which is okay for a few hours, then becomes unplayable (aka. morrowind).

Fallout 1 - Great game
Fallout 2 - Great game
Fallout Brotherhood of Steel - Not a Great Game
Fallout 3 - ??

As far as I know Obsidian wasn't bidding for the fallout license when Interplay sold it. Maybe they were too busy making sequels to bioware games (NWN2, KOTOR2) to do a big project like F3. Troika was bidding, but Bethesda is a far richer company, so they outbid Troika and anyone else who was trying and got F3.

Troika's future isn't looking great either, they've apparently had to lay off a large part of their staff. There's supposed to be an announcement sometime this month that should clear up what's going on.

This interview gave me some slight hope that BethSoft might not screw it up completely. But who knows, they may just be saying what I/we want to hear (SPECIAL being used, deep NPCs, possible turn based + isometric).

Fallout 3 has to stay true to the original 2, unlike BOS (Box of Shit?). I just got into Fallout 1 again, and its amazing... so many good rpgs in development... Baldurs Gate 3? Elder Scrolls and now Fallout... it cant get much better.

w0000tiez!!!

i remember, i first bought Fallout 1 and 2 around 5 or so years ago, got them cheap and LOVED 'em to death! :rolling:

They are the best rpg`s ever made.

I have waited for this in years.

You'll have to wait for some more years then, because it's only in pre-production. Apparently BethSoft won't really start working on it in force until they're further along with Oblivion.

Well its not like i am going to die or something.

It's BethSoft.... they're one of the top tier developers in my mind.... and it doesn't hurt that they can publish thier own stuff too!

Back