FIFA World Cup

lolz.

South Africa are now out, but I'm adamant that their first goal, the first goal of the World Cup, has been the best so far.

Forlan scored quite a corker, and Luis Fabiano scored quite an epic one too (despite handballing it twice).

The best goal of the tournament (for me) was Maicon's no-angle goal against north korea.

Haha I love the idea that international sports teams should throw away advantages against totalitarian countries in a valiant effort to save their lives.

Yeah USA are above England on the tables now.... this is a minor travesty.

The US certainly deserved that. The off-side earlier in the game was bullshit, and in the previous game against Slovenia another American goal was ruled out that shouldn't've.

The yanks are only above us because of goal difference so nurrr. Hopefully Germany will lose tonight so we don't have to play them next lol.

England's performance was excellent I thought, it should have been 3-4 goals really but their goal keeper was amazing, some of his stops were ridiculous, reminded me of Argentina's first game. But pretty much everything England did was spot on, despite the formation at the start. Rooney is looking back on form and surely should score soon (by which time we are flying when he gets back on form), Gerrard and Lampard are working well together, Milner and Johnson played SO well together on the right, some of the former's crosses were beautiful, very remaniscent of Beckham back in his day.

Even Upson who looked really shacky at times, pulled of that AMAZING last ditch tackle at the end, and Terry was like a rock as was David James so even defensively we are getting right. Great springboard for the knock out rounds, just have jump from this, use the confidence gained and keep jumping from strength to strength.

I LOL'd when England kept the ball in the right corner for like 5 minutes at the end, pure premiership play. Well done to USA also, definitely deserved to go through.

We would be much further ahead of you if they didn't keep taking our goals away from us.

That was surprising. I loved watching the crowd's faces going from anxious to jubilant.

Don't want to start a separate thread for this, but who are you guys rooting for?

My team has been Brazil since I first watched them play in 94.

We would be much further ahead of you if they didn't keep taking our goals away from us.
You won the group, it's impossible to go higher atm.

Don't want to start a separate thread for this, but who are you guys rooting for?

My team has been Brazil since I first watched them play in 94.
Germany, Holland or Argentina.

I wouldn't go overboard praising England's performance, they were much better but still weak. They gave the ball away in silly ways a lot - while they're passing has improved since their previous game it's still going to be a vulnerability when they come up against some of the top teams.

Well it was in comparison to previous performances really. They still have a ladder to climb yes, but they are now starting to play how they should be, the direction looks right finally. And it was mainly Gareth Barry giving the ball away, he almost cost us a goal because of a stupid pass. And to be honest attacking wise today, we looked just as good as say Germany, and miles better than Holland, it was merely their keeper playing a great game that kept it at 1-0, easily could have been 3 or 4 nil. Still, a bit to go yet if we are to beat the likes of Argentina or Brazil the latter of which have the best defence of the teams in it at the moment.

wheresthepooltez.gif

Now that's what I call commitment.

Well England go through, finishing BELOW the USA...bahahaha so much for England being better at 'our' sport but anyway...not worried though.

England will be out in the next game or 2. Everyone will praise England about going through, but regardless of their MUCH better performance, they still failed to REALLY beat an underdog. If England are Premier League and Slovakia were Division 3 as the commentator said, then England should be hanging their heads.

Yes they won, but its nowhere NEAR good enough to beat any of the other 15 teams now. Basically, they scraped through barely. As always.

As far as Im concerned, and the country SHOULD REALISE, England are now arguably the worst team in the final 16 based on performances and how successful they 'should' be. That applies to every team of course.

[Edit] Oh god I hope we get Germany if they win group D. What a crash out for England that would be. Germany are unstoppable at the moment.

I have a questiong for the british

do scotland and whales have theyr own team or is part of england?

I have a questiong for the british

do scotland and whales have theyr own team or is part of england?

Wales and Scotland both have their own national teams. Even Northern Ireland has its own team iirc.

Scotland, Wales, Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland (although not part of the UK) all have their own teams. Scotland were once great but are now pretty pants, and there is a HUGE rivalry between them and England but being half Scottish I have a soft spot for them :p

Wales are pretty decent, Republic of Ireland have the talent and almost qualified for the world cup had Henry not cheated lol. Northern Ireland are the worst of the lot of them really, although Healy is an absolute goal machine.

do the scotland team wear the kilts in theyr uniform?

I'm really only rooting for the USA since I live here. Soccer really isn't a big sport over here and I think the World Cup is the only time most people watch it.

Scotland, Wales, Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland (although not part of the UK) all have their own teams. Scotland were once great but are now pretty pants, and there is a HUGE rivalry between them and England but being half Scottish I have a soft spot for them :p

Wales are pretty decent, Republic of Ireland have the talent and almost qualified for the world cup had Henry not cheated lol. Northern Ireland are the worst of the lot of them really, although Healy is an absolute goal machine.
Rather silly when you think about it. Why should the UK be the only nation to have four teams?

Anyway, Germany is being quite weak atm, I hope they straighten up for the second half.

Rather silly when you think about it. Why should the UK be the only nation to have four teams?

Anyway, Germany is being quite weak atm, I hope they straighten up for the second half.

Because the UK isn't one big country?

Much like you don't have one team for Africa, even though it's one big roach motel of a land mass.

Same applies for South America. in fact, same applies everywhere, why am i even bothering to type this...

Well if the UK combined to make one team, it would be mainly English players since there is the biggest talent in the English players, so it wouldn't be much of a British team anyway.

Because the UK isn't one big country?

Much like you don't have one team for Africa, even though it's one big roach motel of a land mass.

Same applies for South America. in fact, same applies everywhere, why am i even bothering to type this...
Erm.... The UK is a political entity, a nation state. Africa and South America aren't. Belgium is more decentralized than the UK, why don't they have two teams (for Flanders and Wallonia)?

There were talks recently about combining to make a British team but it was voted against, rightly I think.

Erm.... The UK is a political entity, a nation state. Africa and South America aren't. Belgium is more decentralized than the UK, why don't they have two teams (for Flanders and Wallonia)?

A political entity formed from multiple countries.

Maybe the analogy was bad, but we started separate, and we're damned if we're merging now.

Plus, Scotland smells.

Andy Murray is British though, important to note that.

Yeah its only separate in football, every other sporting event we are represented as Britain.

Germany won against Ghana and is number one in the group. Germany, however, didn't impress at all. It's hard to imagine that this is the same team that fucked Australia in the ass a while ago.
Maybe the analogy was bad, but we started separate, and we're damned if we're merging now.
The same could be said about Italy, Germany, The US and Belgium.

Germany won against Ghana and is number one in the group. Germany, however, didn't impress at all. It's hard to imagine that this is the same team that fucked Australia in the ass a while ago.

It was a surprising end to a rather surprising group.

Germany lost to Serbia, beat Ghana and Australia.

Australia lost to Germany, beat Serbia and drew with Ghana.

Serbia lost to Ghana and Australia, but beat Germany.

Ghana lost to Germany, beat Serbia and drew with Australia.

Therefore, all teams should be capable of beating each other...

Also, ****ing well done to the Socceroos. If only we played like we did against Ghana or Serbia, when facing Germany, then we would be through right now. I was really hoping we'd get to face the yanks on a clean slate. And make them cry.

Regardless, we are 4 different countries, with 4 different backgrounds, 4 different football associations, and 4 different cultures.

Every country with an association affiliated with FIFA may enter.

So England - Germany. That should be fun.

I'm dreaming of another 5-1. Either something will click and Rooney will go on a rampage, or (more likely) it will be 90 minutes of very close football with either a goal from Germany, or a penalty shootout.

John Terry will miss a penalty to send us out.

/World cup

Back