FIFA World Cup

The Monkey

The Freeman
Reaction score
So the first match is in a few hours, are you exited? I have hopes that it will be a ****ing awesome tournament.

opening ceremony was modest and decent,interesting compared to the tipical ceremony stuff

still my country is no competing so **** you,I will go for england since they never won a cup despite being one of the best teams and they have the rooney,the epitome of all things british

I'm going to be sloshed tomorrow for the England game, rooting against them. GO USA GET A BRAIN MORANS

I'm looking forward to England and France being humiliated. Though England would be uberfail if they don't get to the quarter-finals at least given their matchups.

Looks to be pretty sweet.

Forgive my juvenile-ness but: GO SOCCEROOS!

opening ceremony was modest and decent,interesting compared to the tipical ceremony stuff

still my country is no competing so **** you,I will go for england since they never won a cup despite being one of the best teams and they have the rooney,the epitome of all things british

1966, mother****er.

I'm so excited I'm going to burst. World cup immersion for the next month and nothing else. The biggest world sports tournament...and here come the South Africans! Wooooooooooooooo

If Mexico loses their first game i'm beating an old man

Yeah, I'm meeting a bunch of friends tommorow and hitting the streets for the ROK vs Greece thing.

Calling it first

RSA 1-1 Mexico

So it looks like Uruguay and France are up next

I'm nervous about the USA match, they aren't a bad side and shouldn't be underestimaed at any cost.

Imagine the USA beating us at our own game? It will be unbearable!

2 and a half hours till France Uruguay. First game was good, especially Tshabalala's goal.

South Africa has a better offense than I thought. Rooting for France in the next game :p

I'm nervous about the USA match, they aren't a bad side and shouldn't be underestimaed at any cost.

Imagine the USA beating us at our own game? It will be unbearable!

imagine usa winning the cup,that would be hilarious since 8% of the usa will care

South Africa has a better offense than I thought. Rooting for France in the next game :p
I think they'll struggle...ageing squad. Ribery and Anelka need to turn up.

If you think South Africa have a good offence wait till you see Spain play. Or Brazil or Holland. Then you'll see what a real attack is :p

South Africa must be helped by altitude acclimation somewhat.

They are possibly, although several of their players don't play in South Africa. Also the other teams have been training there for a good 2 and a bit weeks to acclimatise. They were partially carried today by the 12th man, the fans.

World Cup thread of anyone but the French.

Go Mehico. The backroom staff have the best moustaches ever. Look like they could kick some ass.

i2521000di_mex_confe_gaxiola.jpg

ariel-gonzalez-chivas.jpg

They are possibly, although several of their players don't play in South Africa. Also the other teams have been training there for a good 2 and a bit weeks to acclimatise. They were partially carried today by the 12th man, the fans.

Mexico oughta be in a similar situation.

Every 4 years is too long, this one should hopefully be immense with the teams that are in it.

If England don't beat USA tomorrow, then they might as well pack their bags now.

Im currently playing ''Spot the White Man'' on the French team. I count 3 out of 11.

Makes me laugh how these international teams are borrowing African players to fill their ranks...*cough*

If England don't beat USA tomorrow, then they might as well pack their bags now.

And they can make up their pathetic excuses on the plane. Watch the newspapers go nuts on the ''altitude'' and the ''injured Rooney'' and the ''bad refereeing''. Which is all summed up as a big headline;

''ENGLAND CRASH OUT TO THE USA BECAUSE THEY'RE ***T BUT WE HATE TO ADMIT IT, SO WE'LL GO START SOME FIGHTS''

I would seriously, SERIOUSLY buy a ticket to go to SA right now if it guaranteed me seeing some English chav start a fight in a bar in SA. Just to watch the absolute ***t get beaten into him by a white local.

God I hate us Brits.

I have mexico winning it all and almost pooped myself before they tied it up. I missed the France game, anything exciting happen?

Each side was so busy hauling men back to defend that when the ball pushed forward, it was 1 or 2 v 5+ almost every time.

2 real chances the whole game.

ZzzZZ

Aye opening day was a bit shit but from memory, they usually are. Its usually the most expected to be crap midway in the competition that tend to create the best games, like USA vs. Mexico in the last world cup, it was a ****ing awesome match.

Yeah there are two different types of offside...that type very rarely happens. lmao at commentator not knowing the rules.

If the goalkeeper is ahead of the play (Khune came out for that corner) when the ball is played there must be two players ahead of the attacker for him to be onside. In this instance only Steven Pienaar was on the line so it was offside. The goalkeeper shouldn't have come to get the ball...but if he had stayed on his line the goal would have counted :p

Like I said, I thought France would struggle and they did. The tactics were ****ing awful. Ribery in the middle? Malouda on in the 75 min? Gignac wide right? Anelka off for Henry? Absolutely insane!

It's always hilarious to see the Brits expecting gold in every single tournament, and always get disappointed. Your team isn't that great, people. Anyway, the favourites seem to be Spain, Brazil and Argentina. I really hope it's a non-European team that wins it, I think it's necessary to retain the international appeal of the tournament.

Actually our team on paper shits on most others, and we have arguably the best player in the world. Its just that for some reason they convert this on the pitch, if England did play to their potential, no one could beat them.

Actually our team on paper shits on most others, and we have arguably the best player in the world. Its just that for some reason they convert this on the pitch, if England did play to their potential, no one could beat them.
Bullshit. Are you seriously suggesting that the only thing preventing English victory during the last 44 years has been bad luck?

I don't seem to recall mentioning the last 44 years, I'm talking about the team they have have now. And no, not bad luck, but the premise that you take the players individually, Rooney (one of the top 3 players in the world), Lampard and Gerrard (two of the best midfielders in the world), Ashley Cole (one of, if not, the best, left back in the world), John Terry (one of the best defenders in the world) and thats not including the immense ability of the likes of Jermaine Defoe, James Milner and Joe Cole. They come together and nothing spectacular happens which is a mystery to most England fans.

England to get to the quarters and go out on penalty shootouts. As usual.

It's always hilarious to see the Brits expecting gold in every single tournament, and always get disappointed. Your team isn't that great, people. Anyway, the favourites seem to be Spain, Brazil and Argentina..
ARGENTINA? Have you seen their defence? Maradona doesn't know what he's doing! Put Holland in there instead :p

Trust me, we all don't share the same opinion that England are going to win it. We sure hope they do and there is no argument that they are serial underachievers. Great players but not the best team, hoping for semi's this year.

Trust me, we all don't share the same opinion that England are going to win it. We sure hope they do and there is no argument that they are serial underachievers. Great players but not the best team, hoping for semi's this year.

Yeah exactly, seems most outside of England seem to assume every football fan here thinks 'ENGLAND ARE TAKING IT HOME THIS YEAR FOR SURE!' but its certainly not the case. The fact that they did so poor in the last world cup, and the fact that they didn't even qualify for the previous Euros means that the general consensus is that we expect England to be knocked out, anyone who thinks otherwise needs to get their heads out of their arses.

For this tournament, its the best chance they have of winning it really. There are no more excuses. They have a great manager now, all their players are peaked, they have one of the best players in the world who has the potential to single handily rip teams apart and they have no WAG distractions. If they don't win it this time, then they may never win it again.

I'd like to see how pretty and theatrical Argentina handle themselves against big and physical Nigeria. I really think that the Argies are either going to completely walk over their group or fall flat on their face, not expecting any middle ground.

South Korea are looking promising against Greece at the moment. Then again Greece are a bit crap, God knows how they won the Euros.

Back