Film Noir

Laivasse

Companion Cube
Reaction score
So I was going to just stick a summary in the discussion thread, but it got too long.

I've been on a big film noir kick lately, checking out all the ones with the best rep over the last couple of weeks, so here's a rundown of what I've seen. I still have Nightmare Alley, Thieves' Highway and The Big Heat left to watch on my list (also open to recommendations).

Out of the Past - 6/10
This one's got all the ingredients - sultry, brooding visuals; hardboiled protagonist giving a voiceover; seemingly doomed love interest. The story is a little meandering, though, and never really sunk its hooks into me. So far it's the only noir I've seen with Robert Mitchum in it and he's great. His sleepyfaced sardonic ex-private eye has good chemistry with Jane Greer. There's a good cameo from a young(ish) Kirk Douglas in only his second film role (I think). Worth the watch.

The Maltese Falcon - 5/10
Considered 'the quintessential noir' by some, this came as a bit of a disappointment considering it's rep and the presence of Bogart in the lead. It looks great, and the 'private eye chasing a macguffin' premise is a firm foundation, but the characters are just too cartoonish to be taken seriously at all. A fat man called 'Guttman' who blabbers on longwindedly and some sleazy effeminate North African called 'Johnny Cairo'? All the darkness gets sucked out of the tone; it verges on being more of a comedy crime caper. Perhaps as a result, Bogey also becomes thoroughly unbelievable as a tough guy although his smartarse fast-talking is still in effect. I remember seeing him in The Big Sleep and he was better. Still, this is one of the templates for that kind of archetypal macguffin/jade monkey type wild-goose-chase detective flick.

Laura - 5/10
The first of three films I saw directed by Otto Preminger. Probably the best-received of all his films yet IMO the weakest of those I saw. Essentially, a detective manages to fall in love with a woman, Laura, whose death he is investigating. The end credits of Twin Peaks, with the framed photo of Laura Palmer, was surely a nod to this film and the portrait of the dead Laura which commands the mise en scene in so many scenes. Anyway, it starts well but in the end falls foul of the same brightness and sense of caricature which pulled TMF a little out of the realm of noir. Instead it becomes more of a by-the-numbers murder mystery with little sense of flawed heroes or fatalism. The centrality of the Waldo character to the plot, with his fruity midatlantic accent and exaggerated pomposity, is a really weak seam. Dana Andrews, however, was excellent as the detective, and aside from the visuals he carries the film. He also appears in the other Preminger flicks.

Fallen Angel - 5/10
Dana Andrews seems to have been a very charismatic actor capable of a breadth of silent communication. His tight-faced, calculating expression and simmering eyes are a good fit for the scamming sociopath he plays in this film. Likewise, the plot of 'scam a nice dame to please a toxic one' makes for a darker, grittier feel than the basic whodunnit of Laura. On the flipside, it's not quite as strong visually and the plot is little more than a buildup to Andrews' OK-maybe-I'm-not-a-huge-asshole-any-more moment. Mixed feelings, not bad, could have been better.

Where the Sidewalk Ends - 7/10
The third Preminger/Andrews flick and the best. I just watched this one last night so maybe it just feels much stronger, I dunno. Still I think it manages what the others didn't, which is a successful combo of dark atmosphere, strong plot and strong characterisation. Here, Andrews is a violent cop with a bad rep, trying to escape the shadow of his father's memory (although that facet is only explored later). During his attempt to bring down a murdering gangster, he ends up having to try to elude a murder charge of his own. Andrews' grittiness sells the film, but Scolisi the gangster and the supporting cops are also convincing. The only notable weakness was the blandness of the love interest, played by Gene Tierney (a much-admired actress who was better in Laura).

Double Indemnity - 8/10
I was slow to getting around to this one, because having an insurance salesman as the protagonist just... didn't feel like what I was looking for. Couldn't have been more wrong... this one's got the classic flawed hero/antihero, femme fatale, a grand plot coming apart piece by piece, a heartbreaking betrayal ('bro'trayal, in fact), a fatalistic voiceover in the form of a recorded confession, and of course nice, silky shadowed visuals with hallmarks of the period. The insurance office is actually presented much like any cop precinct, and what with the claims investigation process being depicted as even more rigorous than a police investigation, this still has a real hardbitten detective story feel even without featuring any hardbitten detectives. Best I saw, along with Murder, My Sweet.

Murder, My Sweet - 8/10
This is an adaptation of the Chandler novel, Farewell, My Lovely, which has also had two other film adaptations of that name (one of which features Robert Mitchum). According to internets people, this is the best one. I find little reason to doubt that. Dick Powell plays iconic private dick Philip Marlowe, the same character that Bogart played in The Big Sleep, and from what I understand he took some flak because his Marlowe is too much of a milquetoast and not as tough as Bogey's. I don't get that at all... Powell's Marlowe is perfectly pitched IMO. Getting clobbered all the time and slogging on, jaded voiceover uninterrupted, makes you more of a tough guy, not less. He gets a bit hysterical at one point in order to sell the fact he's been pumped full of drugs, but I liked that, inasmuch as it showed how desperation doesn't rob Marlowe of his irreverence and cynicism. That drugged up bit also has a cool psychedelic sequence.

Another fun character is Moose Malloy, played by 6'5" hulk Mike Mazurki, a mentally deranged ex-con who originally hires Marlowe to find his broad but then plagues him with his intimidating presence, appearing constantly on the brink of murdering Marlowe (or anybody nearby). Could have been the booze but I enjoyed this one a lot.

Night and the City - 7/10
One of two films I watched by Jules Dassin, a director who fell foul of the McCarthyist Hollywood blacklist. His later films, like Rififi, were made outside America as a result. I'm not sure if this one was made when he was blacklisted, but it's set in London and has lots of fascinating 1940's eye candy for me as a Londoner. Dassin is probably the most accomplished of all these film makers in terms of cinematography. Plot-wise, you've got a fast-talking, underachieving hustler who annoys a gangster by entering into competition with him, by becoming a wrestling promoter. Richard Widmark plays a great loser, which is a strong compliment, since to play a convincing loser he has to hint at all the unspoken personality traits which ruin his chances of success. 'Moose Malloy'/Mazurki is also in this as a baddie wrestler. Solid film, but the sense of the protagonist's stinging failure is almost too acute, makes this even more 'feelbad' than your average noir.

Rififi - 6/10
Another from Dassin, in French with English subs. Interesting one. It's more of a straightforward gangster heist movie, although in terms of visuals it's very noir and the main guy is your typical grizzled noir booze&cigs cynic. There's talk of a remake, but tbh this is basically the 1955 version of Ocean's Eleven so any heist film is already like a half-remake of this. The heist scene in particular is spellbinding, with its drawn out silence and long continuous takes. Spoilered for trivia copypasta:
  • Mexican authorities pulled the movie from theaters after multiple burglaries were committed employing methods similar to those shown.
  • The much imitated heist sequence is over 32 minutes long and contains not a single line of dialogue or music. The production crew and composer Georges Auric thought it would be a disaster to have such a long sequence sans dialogue. Auric insisted that Dassin allow him to write a grand piece of music for the scene and he eventually did on his own. Later Dassin played the part for Auric twice, once with the score, once without. Auric turned to him and admitted, "Without the music".
  • Dassin claims his reasoning for the lengthy silence was realism. He explains that this also reinforces their astonishing teamwork under stress and that these men can, and carry these tasks out with no need for words. They work in a state of complete silence where any sound (like Jo bumping the piano) was their mortal enemy. Note that Cesar wears ballet slippers during the heist.
  • The jewels stolen during the heist were genuine ones loaned by jeweler Jean Dusausoy, on condition they would be protected by the police.
  • In the 1972 robbery of the United California Bank, a group of thieves used Styrofoam adhesive to spray inside of an alarm box. This effectively stopped the arm of the alarm from ringing much like the technique used within the film.
A stylish, entertaining ride, but slickness alone isn't enough to make a heist movie all that compelling for me. Also much like NatC it has a feelbad streak, fairly pointlessly for such a simplistic story. Finally, I don't know whether it was the french influence or what, but credit must also be given for showing us Claude Sylvain's tatas, both in almost-busting-out nipslip and see-through-neglige mode.

NOW DISCUSS FILM NOIR! (or neo-noir or comic book noir or pseudo-noir) (or don't, I don't mind)

Does Sin City count? Rodriguez's film.

Damn that was a good movie, I think I heard recently about the new one finally being in production. Very excited for that.

I love Raymond Chandler's novels, but it actually never occurred to me to check out any of the movies. Hurrah! Another summer project!

Does Sin City count? Rodriguez's film.
Yeah why not, that counts as what people would probably term comic book noir. My memory of Sin City is fuzzy but I liked it, although Clive Owen's story was a little bit balls (mostly because it had Clive Owen in it, who I hate). Strong atmos though.

For this noir binge I restricted myself to what would probably be considered 'true' noirs of the 40's and 50's. Once I work through the list, I'm going to move on to anything that came later (so-called 'neo noir') or that is vaguely detective-noir-ish. So I plan to revisit Vertigo and Chinatown since I can't remember them, watch Blade Runner and The Big Lebowski for the 50th time each, maybe see what that Brick film from 2005 with Joe Gordon Levitt was like, then top it off with a bit of 80's nostalgia in the form of Who Framed Roger Rabbit.
I love Raymond Chandler's novels, but it actually never occurred to me to check out any of the movies. Hurrah! Another summer project!
I'm the other way around - I must have rented out Chandler books from the library hundreds of times for my dad, but it never occurred to me to read one. My only exposure is the movies The Big Sleep as a kid and now Murder, My Sweet. From what I've heard, most of the films take enormous liberties with the stories of the books. Mitchum's 1975 remake of Farewell, My Lovely is supposedly more faithful than Murder, My Sweet, but not as well received.

By the way, in 2011 the BBC dramatised all the Marlowe novels for Radio 4. I nabbed them a little while ago and started to listen to The Big Sleep, but fell abigsleep early on. They seem like polished productions though and I'm looking forward to checking them properly - PM me if you can't find them to DL (they're no longer in the iPlayer archive).

Also I watched another movie:

The Big Heat - 7/10
A cop-takes-on-corruption-against-the-odds story, that starts out with a suspicious police suicide. Directed by Fritz Lang. I don't know why, but I was wary in my gut about this film. Could be because I was made to watch Lang's Metropolis in school and I had an allergic reaction to it. Could be because the synopsis made it seem like a not-quite-noir. At first, my wariness seemed justified - Glenn Ford as the protagonist cop is whiter than white and has an idyllic home life, his wife a living saint. Snappy cynical dialogue was thin on the ground. Where's the nwarr???, my gut screamed. Suffice to say that as Mr. Upright McCop annoys the criminal underworld more and more, things darken enough to be perfectly satisfactory. Eventually even a wild femme fatale appears (the excellent Gloria Grahame). By the end, the film's become vicious enough that it leaves one wondering how challenging it must have been for the time (1953).

Much of the dialogue isn't as razor sharp as the other films listed above, as I say, but some moments stand the test of time as being surprisingly badass, such as Ford visiting the main gangster guy in his home and ranting at him or the following exchange with a corrupt police chief:
"I don't want to exert the authority of my office. I prefer remembering that you've been through a lot."
"And I'm gonna give you good reason to never forget it." Yowza (it's more about the delivery, I guess). Entertaining film.

KiplingsCat: Also, since you like Chandler it's worth mentioning that he co-wrote the screenplay for Double Indemnity.

By the way, in 2011 the BBC dramatised all the Marlowe novels for Radio 4. I nabbed them a little while ago and started to listen to The Big Sleep, but fell abigsleep early on. They seem like polished productions though and I'm looking forward to checking them properly - PM me if you can't find them to DL (they're no longer in the iPlayer archive).

Yeah I may well check that out actually, I'm a complete sucker for BBC dramatizations. Our library is usually pretty good for having stuff like that so I'll go look for it there :)

Chinatown is brilliant, I found it in the bargain bin the other for literally $1 amongst D-Grade films. I would elaborate on why it's brilliant but I have finals beginning tomorrow.

Ta-ta

A Touch of Evil ('58).
This is on my radar somewhere, since I've seen people call it the 'last real noir' to have been made, suggesting that everything noir-flavoured that came after AToE has been neo noir. It'll be interesting to sample Orson Welles' directorial chops for noir.

Saw a couple more films, probably the last mini-reviews I'll add:

Nightmare Alley - 3/10
Weird one this. It's about carnies trying to hit the big time with a sham psychic act but coming unstuck. It came with passionate recommendations, was pretty well acted and potentially had a strong plot foundation. However, I found it so damn boring I couldn't stay awake. There are some annoyingly right-on themes which exhausted my patience, like the dangers of alcoholism and this weird anti-blasphemy angle. That kind of god bothering, temperance league message is not something I watch films for. As an early study in mentalism, too, there are some plot devices which appear really clumsy and farfetched nowadays. A shame, because there's an air of sophistication to the way the film's put together. Tyrone Power's descent to disgrace is quite psychologically disturbing. Big Mike-Moose-Mazurki-Malloy also features.

Thieves' Highway - 6/10
From director Jules Dassin again, the maker of slick, unconventional feelbad noirs Night and the City and Rififi. In this, a young navy guy returns from sailing the world bearing gifts for his family, including Chinese slippers for his sweet Greek papa, only to find that papa's legs have been amputated. Oh, Dassin. Richard Conte as the vengeful son now has to track down the San Francisco huckster who ripped his dad off and sent him home drunk on a 400 mile journey. The tension is well sustained by Dassin's characteristic method of having absolutely everything go depressingly wrong. There's good chemistry between Conte and Valentina Cortese as the femme fatale who comes good. However as a noir it's certainly unconventional - a film about the cut-throat competitive nature of apple trucking?? That's essentially what this is. On the negative side, despite the believable aura of violence in this film the face off with the baddie is a bit anti-climactic and the ending is absurdly upbeat considering what has gone before - apparently it was tweaked by Fox Studios to make it more 'socially responsible'. Furthermore, Conte's character is a bit all over the place and too naive to be believable at times.

David Lynch supposedly took a strong influence from some of the technical elements of this film.

The Maltese Falcon - 5/10
Considered 'the quintessential noir' by some, this came as a bit of a disappointment considering it's rep and the presence of Bogart in the lead. It looks great, and the 'private eye chasing a macguffin' premise is a firm foundation, but the characters are just too cartoonish to be taken seriously at all. A fat man called 'Guttman' who blabbers on longwindedly and some sleazy effeminate North African called 'Johnny Cairo'? All the darkness gets sucked out of the tone; it verges on being more of a comedy crime caper. Perhaps as a result, Bogey also becomes thoroughly unbelievable as a tough guy although his smartarse fast-talking is still in effect. I remember seeing him in The Big Sleep and he was better. Still, this is one of the templates for that kind of archetypal macguffin/jade monkey type wild-goose-chase detective flick.

I just watched this as well and was similarly disappointed. I thought the most disappointing thing was that Sam Spade didn't do any investigative work the entire film. He actually did almost absolutely nothing. Unless you count being a prick to essentially everyone he came into contact with for no apparent reason.

I did, however, like the ending.

I liked that they had been wrong about the falcon right from the start. And I kept expecting the girl to get away, so that whole "I hope they don't hang your pretty little neck" bit was pretty fantastic. And I liked Sam's mindset that you have to do what's right for your partner, regardless of what you thought of him.

I just watched this as well and was similarly disappointed. I thought the most disappointing thing was that Sam Spade didn't do any investigative work the entire film. He actually did almost absolutely nothing. Unless you count being a prick to essentially everyone he came into contact with for no apparent reason.

I did, however, like the ending.

I liked that they had been wrong about the falcon right from the start. And I kept expecting the girl to get away, so that whole "I hope they don't hang your pretty little neck" bit was pretty fantastic. And I liked Sam's mindset that you have to do what's right for your partner, regardless of what you thought of him.
Yeah, the whole thing just seems to pivot around Spade's wisecracking and manipulation of the other characters. If you haven't seen Murder, My Sweet I recommend it, since Dick Powell's Marlowe is a slightly more playful character than Bogie's Spade (which reflects their literary counterparts, reportedly, although I can't testify to that), while operating in a darker setting and maintaining a similar sense of dogged moral commitment. He has a more rigorous approach to private dicking, too.

And if you like that, check Double Indemnity. Not because it's particularly similar - mostly just because it's good - but it doesn't skimp on having an actual scheme, with characters who care about the details.

Murder my Sweet and Double Indemnity are both totally on my list to watch this week. I've been watching a lot of Pacino / De Niro movies otherwise (Scarface, Carlito's Way, Goodfellas, Glengarry Glen Ross, etc).

Back