Final box art design

synth

Reaction score
Half-Life 2's publisher, Sierra, has revealed what is apparently the final box cover for the game on their information page. It is still unclear whether they are planning to use the similar box covers of Alyx and the G-Man shown at last years E3 expo though.

Vivendi owns Sierra, and Sierra is the publisher, so Vivendi is just the bigger group. It's still involved.

That page has been around since last E3 and it's not made by Valve anyway. We've seen a screenshot of the real site that was actually hosted on hl2.net, although it seems to have vanished from the face of the internet now.

Varsity said:
That page has been around since last E3 and it's not made by Valve anyway. We've seen a screenshot of the real site that was actually hosted on hl2.net, although it seems to have vanished from the face of the internet now.

http://home.comcast.net/~shuzer/preview.jpg
I knew my useless mirroring of jpgs would come in handy some day!

The point of the site mentioned in this post, however, is the box art. That much IS official, seeing as how Sierra would get the final word on that (since they're publishing the game).

That's an old site. I've drooled over it before... Except the box cover is new. I can drool over something new, granted, but the site itself still bares my old muke-stains.

well guys, instead of having so much complpains, you should be happy, we now know how the box will look, and that is some gooooood news :E

that looks crap compaired to the ones at e3. **** half-life2, im not buying it if its gonna have a cover like that, well iv already got it preorderd. ok so im not buying i twice, thats for damn shure

that looks quite nice! It looks a bit like the design we've seen before, but with added shadowing which makes it look wicked.

Avatar'd! I like it better than the 'old' design, the shadows give it a more finished look. There's a background now too, the square with the horse statues if I'm not mistaken.

this was posted earlier, but it's good to see:

Attachments

• HL2 Gordon_3D Pack_0404.jpg
    HL2 Gordon_3D Pack_0404.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 420
here it is flattened out, so it's not all squashed.

Attachments

• box_flattened.jpg
    box_flattened.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 388
mad max 31 said:
that looks crap compaired to the ones at e3. **** half-life2, im not buying it if its gonna have a cover like that, well iv already got it preorderd. ok so im not buying i twice, thats for damn shure

you forgot your sarcasm tag (am assuming your joking)

and bah its looks fine :bounce:

register game???

not only did they post the box picture but also added a register link to register the game... does that mean its closer then we think? here's the link, look at the top right corner, theres view trailer, register game and newsletter... ;)

Striker said:
not only did they post the box picture but also added a register link to register the game... does that mean its closer then we think? here's the link, look at the top right corner, theres view trailer, register game and newsletter... ;)
hey, nice find! :)

Striker said:
I don't think so, it has it on the leisure suit larry one too, and that game comes out in fall.

Uhm... not to burst anyone's bubble here... but it's a friggin box! No, it's not even a real box, it's a PICTURE of a box!!!

WAIT!!!

IT'S NOT EVEN AN ACTUAL PICTURE!!!!

I'm looking forward to HL2 as much of the next guy, but you all are really reaching here....

If that's the Half-Life 2 box, I'll buy it for the box alone. And the physics. Just the box and the physics. Yep, I'd buy it for the box, the physics and those amazing graphics alone. Nothing else. The amazing graphics, physics, box and storyline are enough to make me buy this game all by theirselves. That and the emergent gameplay elements. And...

Sulkdodds said:
If that's the Half-Life 2 box, I'll buy it for the box alone. And the physics. Just the box and the physics. Yep, I'd buy it for the box, the physics and those amazing graphics alone. Nothing else. The amazing graphics, physics, box and storyline are enough to make me buy this game all by theirselves. That and the emergent gameplay elements. And...

And I don't need any of this! I don't need this stuff, (he pushes all of the letters off the desk), and I don't need you. I don't need anything except this (he picks up an ashtray) and that's it and that's the only thing I need, is this. I don't need this or this. Just this ashtray. And this paddle game, the ashtray and the paddle game and that's all I need. And this remote control. The ashtray, the paddle game and the remote control, and that's all I need. And these matches. The ashtray, and these matches, and the remote control and the paddle ball. And this lamp. The ashtray, this paddle game and the remote control and the lamp and that's all I need. And that's all I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one - (sees something) I need this! The paddle game, and the chair, and the remote control, and the matches, for sure. Well what are you looking at? What do you think I am, some kind of a jerk or something? And this! And that's all I need. The ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, this magazine and the chair. And I don't need one other thing except my dog. (Shithead, the dog, growls) Well I don't need my dog.

Sulkdodds said:

(The door flies open and in come three evil types in red robes.)
Cardinal Ximinez: NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise! ...Surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency! Our three weapons are fear, and surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our four...no...

What, is everyone on this board so young that they've never seen "the Jerk"? Classic Steve Martin???

boxes.jpg

Unofficial mockups, with the pics ripped from the HL2 WMP9 skin. I can't see the real ones looking much different though.

If they release boxes of Alyx, I bet there will be a shortage of those :D

There should be 3 different boxes though. HL2 is getting released in 3 different formats (not including steam): "lite" with single player support only, "normal" with mod support, and "collectors edition" with quote "lots of cool extra bonus stuff". We should see at least 2 new box arts in the future then, shouldnt we?

Lite and normal will probably use the same box art. CE will probably go down the UT2K4 route and have a stylish Lamda logo or similar.

Hopefully it doesn't end up like Warcraft 3's boxes.

I dont really understand the bug fuz about the boxcover, we've seen it before and it doesnt tell us anything new about the game.

Something Valve hasn't done for over months now :(

Back