14. Realtek AC'97 Audio
  15. Speakers/Headphones:
  16. Platronics Gamecom Pro 1
  17. Keyboard:
  18. HP Wired Office Keyboard
  19. Mouse:
  20. Logitech Marble Mouse
  21. Operating System:
  22. Windows XP Home Edition (Service Pack 2)
New Computer:
  1. Manufacturer:
  2. Me (Antec Nine Hundred case) :cheese:
  3. Processor:
  4. Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz
  5. Memory:
  6. A-DATA 1GB (2 x 512MB) DD2 800, Dual Channel (getting two of these to get 2GB)
  7. Hard Drive:
  8. 127 GB
  9. Video Card:
  10. PNY GeForce 8800GTX 768MB
  11. Monitor:
  12. Sceptre 22" HD Widescreen gaming edition
  13. Sound Card:
  14. Realtek ALC889A (Onboard)
  15. Power Supply
  16. Antec True Power Trio 650W
  17. Speakers/Headphones:
  18. Platronics Gamecom Pro 1
  19. Keyboard:
  20. HP Wired Office Keyboard
  21. Mouse:
  22. Logitech Marble Mouse
  23. Motherboard
  24. GIGABYTE GA-P35C-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 (supports DDR2 and DDR3 for the future!)
  25. Operating System:
  26. Windows Vista Home Edition Premium (We're all getting it sooner or later. Prices arn't coming down either.)
  27. Thermal Grease:
  28. Artic Silver 5
GRAND TOTAL: $1,746.92
Should I look at anything else? I have one question though and it's if I should do a fanless heatsink on the CPU. I know the CPU should get extremely hot and was wondering if it could handle it. Would be nice to cut down on the noise. If it's not a good idea then I will use the money on a better sound card. The price is way above my budget of $1,500 but the quad core price will come down and hopefully the pricey video card and other hardware. Anybody know if any prices are coming down for them? Thanks! -hool10

I really hope you arent going to buy the Intel Q6600 (which is the 2.4Ghz version you've listed) before the 22nd of this month. Right now its around $500 and it's dropping to about $266 on the 22nd.

Also, since your getting DDR2-800 RAM, I'd highly suggest to get a decent cooler for your processor, and overclock it a bit. Alot of people are getting the Q6600 to around 3.0Ghz to 3.4Ghz on air cooling without too much trouble, though that does depend on if your mobo is up the the job as well. The Q6600's stock speed has it's bus speed way below your RAM's speed. In other words, that speedy RAM your buying is going a bit to waste unless you clock your CPU to match it. Though for your CPUs bus to match your RAM speed would require you overclocking the Q6600 to 3.6Ghz If you want more details on that, just ask.

You dont really need a fanless heatsink, but if you really want to go fanless/noiseless, go for the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme edition, best out there. However, theres no reason to go fanless on your heatsink, since theres always going to be something else making noise from your case, mostly the power supply. So thats going to set your "sound-floor". As long as you get something equally as loud, or maybe a bit louder than your other loudest component in your case, you'll be gravy. You can still get that Thermalright cooler, just stick a quiet fan on it too, I'd suggest an S-Flex fan, then you'll have the best cooling around without having to go with water.

And since your already spending that much money, you might as well also buy an Audigy sound card instead of using on-board sound.

The only thing that I noticed is why bother with 512MB sticks? Going with 4 vs 2 sticks can cause issues and a performance loss (depending on board/chipset). Also, some boards only have 3 slots so 4x512MB wouldn't fit (in case you use the memory in a new board because of upgrading or a failed board).

Why NOT get 1GB sticks?

Otherwise, looks good to me.

As WhiteZero said, you should wait until the 22nd if you can. In addition, I recommend 2x1GB of RAM instead of 4x512. On most motherboards, two sticks are going to run faster than four. As for your HDD, I don't know if you are holding on to your old one for any particular reason, but HDDs have are cheap enough now that you can get a much larger one for not much cost. I recommend one from Western Digital's Caviar SE16 line. You can get a 320 for about $75 or what I got, a 500 for about $110. That's all up to personal choice though.

Wait for the price drop on the Q6600, and get two 1GB sticks of RAM at the MINIMUM.

Furthermore, get a regular ol' SATA2 hard drive. I got a 320GB one for $105 Canadian almost a year ago.

Well they say that dual channel is a lot faster. In fact 1GB of RAM runs slower than 1GB of RAM in dual channel mode. They say for that to work you must have the same exact RAM all paired up and filling all the slots. I want a fanless cooler because I heard the one they give you is noisy. Plus I don't need anymore noise from all those fans on the case. The HD suits me also. Right now I have a whole bunch of games installed and I only have less than a quarter of it filled up. What do you recommend I buy then for the RAM and soundcard? I already know about the July 22nd thing too. So no other deals is going to happen? I expect to buy this before Bioshock or Crysis which is in August.

Wait for the price drop on the Q6600, and get two 1GB sticks of RAM at the MINIMUM.

Well ya cant run more than 4GB of RAM (including your video card memory) if your running a 32bit OS. You'll need the 64bit version for it to recognize anymore than 4GB total.

Read Me
(2x512MB, 4x512MB and 2x1GB reviewed)
Although most of the benchmarks they used don't seem to be memory bound and the difference falls within margin of error. It's hard finding a good review that uses different numbers of sticks and sizes. :(

Although there were a couple tests that showed 4x512MB performed worse than 2x512MB (and 2x1GB).
Well they say that dual channel is a lot faster. In fact 1GB of RAM runs slower than 1GB of RAM in dual channel mode. They say for that to work you must have the same exact RAM all paired up
That's pretty much it.
and filling all the slots.
Nope.

Well they say that dual channel is a lot faster. In fact 1GB of RAM runs slower than 1GB of RAM in dual channel mode. They say for that to work you must have the same exact RAM all paired up and filling all the slots. I want a fanless cooler because I heard the one they give you is noisy. Plus I don't need anymore noise from all those fans on the case. The HD suits me also. Right now I have a whole bunch of games installed and I only have less than a quarter of it filled up. What do you recommend I buy then for the RAM and soundcard? I already know about the July 22nd thing too. So no other deals is going to happen? I expect to buy this before Bioshock or Crysis which is in August.
Dual channel is toggleable, but is almost never even possible with more than two sticks of memory. And if you stick with 1GB sticks, you'll be able to upgrade to 4GB without having to re-buy the original 2GB.

Some great replies here.

one thing that I don't get -

You say you want a noiseless case ... why then are you getting an antec 900?

unless you replace all of the fans except the huge one on top (set that one on low), it's not going to be quiet.

I've got all the stock fans on low in this thing (antec 900), and it's not quiet. It doesn't bother me, I got used to it, but eventually I'll replace the fans with the really quiet ones. Fans are pretty cheap if you get them online. It's a ****in awesome case, but if you just have that one drive, it might be in your interest to get a cheaper case. That case holds 6 HDD's and has fans for them - kind of a waste to get a case that holds 6 hard drives and just be content with one drive.

Also, if you are going to get Vista, I agree with your decision, as I'd stick with the on-board sound for a while, you can upgrade that later when you get some more money. Things may have changed since last I heard, but Vista dropped Direct sound, and I'm not sure about Creative's Vista drivers.

BTW how do you like that Logitech marble mouse? I've been thinking about getting that thing to try it as a trackball for some old games I've got.

Also, I think you will be happy with the GTS instead of the GTX, and save $400 right there. I think the GTS will be plenty. A bigger, better video card will come along in due time, and even the mighty GTX will be trumped I'm sure.

$750 for a video card = outrageous.

Save $400 and get the GTS, and get a quiet case instead. Someone here got one from Antec (forget the model name sorry) that has sound dampers and ducts and shit. Sounds nice.

Also, I think you will be happy with the GTS instead of the GTX, and save $400 right there. I think the GTS will be plenty. A bigger, better video card will come along in due time, and even the mighty GTX will be trumped I'm sure.

$750 for a video card = outrageous.

Sorry, but WTF are you talking about guy?
Even the overclocked BFG GTX cards are less than $600
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143080
You must be confused with the 8800Ultra, which yes, is a waste of money since you can easily OC the GTX to Ultra speeds.

And the GTX card are well worth the extra cash over the GTS cards.
Check any benchmarks out there. Get a good 30% FPS increase in most games with the GTX over the GTS. And thats even compared to the 640MB version instead of the 320MB. And since you'll be paying 30% more for the nice GTX, your really getting your moneys worth and just about guaranteeing that you wont have to upgrade your video card for awhile, even with all the nice DX10 games a-commin.

So even if you settle for the GTS now, and wait for the next big card to come out, you'll still have to wait months for that next-big-card's price to drop from those initial ridiculous prices. And even then, how much better than the GTX are they going to be? Will it be worth spending ~$350 on a GTS now and another ~$400 for the next-big-card down the road when the GTX will still be running your games pretty well for a few years?

Sorry, but WTF are you talking about guy?
Even the overclocked BFG GTX cards are less than $600
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143080

And the GTX card are well worth the extra cash over the GTS cards.
Check any benchmarks out there. Get a good 30% FPS increase in most games with the GTX over the GTS. And thats even compared to the 640MB version instead of the 320MB.

He posted $..

.. Oh, dude I might need to get some glasses, lol

I thought the OP said $768.

# Video Card:
# PNY GeForce 8800GTX 768MB

It said 768MB

Sorry.

However, I'm nearly positive it was actually about $750 last time I checked not more than one or 2 months ago. In fact, a few months ago, when the GTX was first announced, I'm pretty sure Nvidia stated it would be like $900

Eh, not sure anymore then. It's not worth it to me though. I don't think I'd ever spend more than $350 on a graphics card.

From the benchmarks I've seen, the GTX it still can't run DX10 that well, though it's certainly more playable. That's why I'm saying something better will come along.

And from the games where I've seen benchmarked, the GTX only did substantially better in certain games/settings. Othewise the difference wasn't that great.

And for example, right here, the difference between the GTX 768MB and the GTS 640MB is only 0.2 FPS.

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_2007.html?modelx=33&model1=740&model2=722&chart=280

Certainly not worth the price difference. What's that $200 dollars more or something for 0.2 FPS. What a value.

I think the GTS (especially an overclocked one with what he's getting - a quad core proc) can run any game available today at max settings at a high framerate, so it seems to me that the GTX would just be nice, but not necessary to enjoy the games fully.

Also, the GTS [in the benchmarks I've scrutinized] is more than twice as powerful as the x1950GT - which isn't a bad card itself.

And on that note, I'm going to check for a price drop of the 8800 GTS. Last time I checked it was $350.

That new game, DiRT, isn't running well on my X1900GT. It runs great driving the rally corses (solo) but with the 8 or so other cars on the track it feels below 18 FPS. Not really playable.

Damn, just checked Newegg. Looks like the 8800GTS is holding it's price. None of the high memory ones for under like $400. The GTX, however, has come down in price vastly, so I might just eat my words.

I think I'm going to wait until I get an 8800 for like $180. This might take up to a year though. The main thing I need right now is a new processor.

It was actually about $750 last time I checked. In fact, a few months ago, when it was first launched, I'm pretty sure Nvidia stated it would be like $900

Eh, not sure anymore then. It's not worth it to me though. I don't think I'd ever spend more than $350 on a graphics card.

Yeah, that would be crazy if it was still at $700. But check out my updated post there too.

Also, hool, its a great idea to get a mobo like that, since it'll also support Intel's upcoming 45nm processors. So your pretty future-proofed with it. :D

From the benchmarks I've seen, the GTX it still can't run DX10 that well, though it's certainly more playable. That's why I'm saying something better will come along.
I'm guessing thats a driver issue, but I could very well be wrong. It would make sence though, since there arent really any DX10 games that are big yet, Nvidia may not be super concerned with their drivers running DX10 games perfectly yet. We'll see.

And for example, right here, the difference between the GTX 768MB and the GTS 640MB is only 0.2 FPS.

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_2007.html?modelx=33&model1=740&model2=722&chart=280

Certainly not worth the price difference. What's that $200 dollars more or something for 0.2 FPS. What a value.
That is a pretty poor example. hehe Most of the cards are CPU bound at 1024x768 in that game. With that game you will have to go up to at least 1600x1200 before the cards begin to separate. 1920x1200 really limits the other cards and the GTX stands out. Although most people don't run that resolution and hool's screen runs at 1680 x 1050.

hool's screen runs at 1680 x 1050.
man... you do your homework don't you. D:
I got to. I would be mistaken if I looked at the 1920x1200 benchmark and said "See, nothing less than a GTX would do". Had to look up his LCD to know the resolution he is most likely interested in.

I'd consider 4gb ram since it's getting really cheap these days.
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820231122

And get MX-1 thermal grease. Otherwise Ceramic, which is the same stuff as the AS5 but non conductive.

You'll love the 8800gtx, but you'll be sorry for spending so much on it when the next generation arrives.

The rest has pretty much been said.

You say you want a noiseless case ... why then are you getting an antec 900? uUnless you replace all of the fans except the huge one on top (set that one on low), it's not going to be quiet. I've got all the stock fans on low in this thing (antec 900), and it's not quiet. It doesn't bother me, I got used to it, but eventually I'll replace the fans with the really quiet ones. Fans are pretty cheap if you get them online. It's a ****in awesome case, but if you just have that one drive, it might be in your interest to get a cheaper case. That case holds 6 HDD's and has fans for them - kind of a waste to get a case that holds 6 hard drives and just be content with one drive.

BTW how do you like that Logitech marble mouse? I've been thinking about getting that thing to try it as a trackball for some old games I've got.
Well I'm used to noisy computers. They have the "SilentX" technology on Shuttle computers yet it's really loud with the x800XL. Plus it's right next to my keyboard on my desk. So I'm used to the noise but I don't need anymore. This mouse I got in 2002 and bought another one because the left-button broke. It takes about a week to get used to but after that it's easy. No more moving the mouse all over the place all you have to do is a flick of your 3 middle fingers and you can cap a guy behind you in cs. My only gripe is there is no scroll wheel. Also the sensors get some grime on it from your body oils. All you have to do though is pull the ball out and wipe the sensors. I'm getting this RAM instead: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820134487 and buying 2 of them. Yes you are correct about my monitors resolution though Asus. The heatsink you recommended though looks great. I'm just worried about how tall and heavy it is. I don't want the thing sagging when it's mounted vertically.

It's not like it won't work without it. You'll just not be able to use 800mb of it. 3.2gb is still more than 2gb and it'll only be future proof.

If you get a tower heatsink you will want one that uses a backplate behind the motherboard for support. It will be fine and you shouldn't worry unless you move the PC a lot (LANs). And if you are worried about noise you will want a heatsink that can dissipate the most heat with a slow fan or no fan which are tower heatsinks.

review
Top air-cooler performance solidly belongs to the Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme at 3.94GHz, with the Tuniq Tower 120, the regular Thermalright Ultra-120, the Scythe Ninja B Plus with SilenX fan, the OCZ Vindicator with SilenX, and the Scythe Infinity with dual push-pull Scythe fans all right behind and tied at 3.90GHz. This is a remarkable group of performers that definitely deliver value for your money.

We have tried to keep an open mind about the supposed advantages of down-facing fans. The arguments and logic are persuasive - a fan or fans blowing down should also cool your motherboard components better, and that should mean better performance. The argument is logical enough, but unfortunately the execution leaves a lot to be desired. So far we have tested three down-facing designs - the Cooler Master GeminII, Scythe Andy Samurai Master, and Thermaltake MaxOrb. That's quite an illustrious group, but none of these three could really compete with our top tier of coolers.

We are left to ask the question if down-facing cools better, then why can't these down-facing designs compete with the best heatpipe towers in performance? We have no auxiliary cooling in our test bed, so the down-facing designs should shine in better performance. Unfortunately they don't.
Not only do tower heatsinks cool better but they allow for a higher stable overclock than down-facing coolers.

It's not like it won't work without it. You'll just not be able to use 800mb of it. 3.2gb is still more than 2gb and it'll only be future proof.

Yey for wasting 800MB of RAM! :D
But if you want to use all of that RAM, 64bit OS' arent too much of a hassle to run.

And Asus is right on the money with his rundown.

If you get a tower heatsink you will want one that uses a backplate behind the motherboard for support. It will be fine and you shouldn't worry unless you move the PC a lot (LANs). And if you are worried about noise you will want a heatsink that can dissipate the most heat with a slow fan or no fan which are tower heatsinks.

review
Not only do tower heatsinks cool better but they allow for a higher stable overclock than down-facing coolers.
My dad has a backplate that he didn't use with his fanless heatsink. I will probably go with that then. Anything wrong with the RAM? 4GB is way too much and why do I want to pay extra? I figured that I will never get a soundcard though. I use a USB headset so I can use a mic. My computer now is $1,985.92. I really hope the prices come down other than the CPU. *Oh the clips come with it with the paste. That's cool cause some companies don't do that.

Usually the heatsink you buy comes with the backplate that works with it, since they can be different.

If you use a USB headset those have a built-in sound chip on the cord, right? So it wouldn't even use the on-board audio.

Back