Final Fantasy XIV relaunching with "A Realm Reborn"; beta signup; holy shit CG trailer

Bad^Hat

The Freeman
Reaction score
So, FF14 sucked fantastic amounts of distended gorilla anus, and I guess Square thought so too as they brought in a new producer and basically overhauled the entire game.

A Realm Reborn is a complete overhaul of FFXIV. Confirmed features include:
A completely new battle system
Every single zone in the game has been redone
A completely new user interface designed for mouse/keyboard and a separate new UI for game pads.
Quest-based leveling options
Dungeon-finder thing like in WoW
New crafting system
New gathering system
New server structure with response time similar to WoW
New graphics engine that offers better performance on worse systems and has better lighting.
New client
Regional server availability (physical servers located in NA, Europe, Japan, etc.)
PvP
Some kind of chocobo-battle-buddy raising thing
A new class/job, Arcanist/Summoner
Large, boring zones split up into smaller, more interesting zones.
More story quests so the story makes more sense
Male Mi'qote
Female Highlanders
Female Roegadyns
User created add-ons support

A more exhaustive list of new features can be found here: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/38201-Coming-in-Version-2.0!

Some screenshots: http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20120815_553349.html

Some more screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/xbpqf

Beta signup: https://secure.square-enix.com/enqt...52cd959ac1eea64c28daecf46211a60a851bde20690dd

And finally, holy shit check out this ****ing goddamn trailer jesus christ Square.

Well, we ****ed that game up. Lets blow everything up and travel back in time so we can redo it.

Brilliantly creative.

Maybe I'd appreciate it more if I knew anything about the game, and if anything in the trailer made sense to me.

We've come quite a long way from the days of a rag tag group of nobodys saving the world from one bad guy.....

We've come quite a long way from the days of a rag tag group of nobodys saving the world from one bad guy.....
To be honest, I miss those days. That's why I keep going back to the older ones. As cliched as they were, they were awesome.

As impressive as this looks, I have a major issue with pay-to-play games and refuse outright, even if it's something that I know I'd like. Also, an MMO FF just seems to me like it would deliver a watered down story attached to a WoW clone. That is, afterall, one of the things that I love about previous FF's, is the depth the games have.

If I'm wrong about that, let me know because, as I said I've never played XI or XIV. From my perspective, it just seems like they are sacrificing some of the elements that made the earlier ones so good for the everything-MMO craze that developers have been pursuing the last few years in order to cash in on their popularity.

But the video... holy feck! Was that Bahamut?!? Maybe I have the whole thing about watered down story wrong.... Hell, I'd watch that as a movie!

To be honest, I miss those days. That's why I keep going back to the older ones. As cliched as they were, they were awesome.

As impressive as this looks, I have a major issue with pay-to-play games and refuse outright, even if it's something that I know I'd like. Also, an MMO FF just seems to me like it would deliver a watered down story attached to a WoW clone. That is, afterall, one of the things that I love about previous FF's, is the depth the games have.

If I'm wrong about that, let me know because, as I said I've never played XI or XIV. From my perspective, it just seems like they are sacrificing some of the elements that made the earlier ones so good for the everything-MMO craze that developers have been pursuing the last few years in order to cash in on their popularity.

But the video... holy feck! Was that Bahamut?!? Maybe I have the whole thing about watered down story wrong.... Hell, I'd watch that as a movie!

I agree. Final Fantasy was never about "paying to play" or "large scale wars across nations." I really hate the direct square enix has taken with the series.

I agree. Final Fantasy was never about "paying to play" or "large scale wars across nations." I really hate the direct square enix has taken with the series.
Indeed. I'll stick with my back catalogue for the time being. Not long finished a rerun on FF VII and FF-Mystic Quest.... considering trying FF XII again since I never did finish that one. Or perhaps IV as its been years since I played that one.... decisions, decisions...

Indeed. I'll stick with my back catalogue for the time being. Not long finished a rerun on FF VII and FF-Mystic Quest.... considering trying FF XII again since I never did finish that one. Or perhaps IV as its been years since I played that one.... decisions, decisions...

XII took a while for me to get into too, but to me it ended up being the last good one in the series. 13 was some sort of awful. 14 I wouldnt even bother looking at the trailer.

Versus 13 though...should it ever come out...looks like they bring it back to that old school style story.

Yes it was. Final Fantasy Tactics and the other games that take place in Ivalice were all about large scale war, including XII, albeit to a lesser extent. XI was pay to play and pre-dates WoW.

Yeah I'm currently figuring out my role as an exclusive Disciple of War in relation to the market and crafters. I don't care to craft myself (I might give it a shot someday) but getting the materials needed to 'hire' someone to do it for me is something worth doing. There's also selling stuff on the market boards, I usually sell stuff that's worth a damn. You can sell to any vendor at a fixed (shit) price, or sell it to the board for 40, sometimes 100x the value. And people buy it because either vendors don't sell it or they sell it for far more. Economics Sim XIV.

Oh and I'm on the Cactuar Server, in case anyone wants to join. I know you're on something else, Cumato :|

Well you might be able to switch servers when they implement that feature. I think the first transfer is free, which is to mean more than one will come at a cost I suppose.

So, how much money has this MMO devoured so far? A launch, remake, no sub payments and now a relaunch all with servers running. OUCH

Back