FireFox - new user

VirusType2

Reaction score
So I've been using IE for years because I was comfortable with it. Recently had upgraded to IE 7, and took only a few minutes to get used to it.

Well, I have been reading many bad things about IE forever, and have been hearing so many good things about Firefox lately that I decided I was foolish not to give this any credibility.

In short. WOW.

I had tried Firefox before and never liked it. The problem seems to be a few simple tick boxes that my brother likes to set up his FireFox install differently than I would, and I didn't realize you could change it.

Faster and better, IE7 looks to try to be a copy of Firefox 2.0.0.7.

I love how it asked me if I want to import my bookmarks. now i have no excuse to use IE anymore.

IE7 is prone to attack, slow, and less functional.

I like the spell checker that checks as I type, too bad there isn't a correction ability

:D

if you are using IE, you owe it to yourself to give this a try. Why didn't I try this sooner you may ask. IDK. :embarrassed:

Only problem I have is now I have pop-ups even with the pop-up blocker on. On their site, it says they have over a thousand add-ons available to customize FireFox. Is there an add-on for a better pop-up blocker and spelling corrector?

What add-ons can you guys recommend?

I installed the latest Javascript and the latest adobe flash player, and yet still - youtube videos don't work.

Whats going on? A search reviels others that have the problem, but I don't see a solution.

Yeah i;ve been playing around with the skins- it's kind of buggy or is it just a conflict with windowblinds I'm having? It doesn't always work. Whats the trick?
Adblock plus
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865

And Filterset.G updater
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1136

Will get rid of ALL ads, anywhere. I haven't seen one in months.

You might like this one too, IE tab
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1419

You can right click a tab and switch to the IE engine. Useful for some sites that don't work right with firefox.
Thank you for putting the links there. I really appreciate it

I used to use adblock. Not sure why but it seemed to slow things down. And I never bothered reinstalling it after a recent firefox reinstall. But I currently use NoScript which blocks javascript (lot of java based ads out there) and videodownloader which grabs flash videos from youtube and many other places.

Firefox 1.5 I think is a little more stable but I can't live without the spell checker in 2. Plus if Firefox does not shut down properly from a crash or a PC restart then it prompts if you want to resume where you left off.

I like when the browser crashes then you can go back to every page you were just on, logged in already to boot. :thumbs:

One problem I recently started having with FF was if I had a tab open with quicktime media playing, and I closed it, FF would instantly crash. I googled the problem, saw that it might have something to do with adblock, and sure enough when I got rid of adblock FF stopped crashing...so I've yet to fully figure that out.

One other issue I had was with Vista's WMP11 which wouldn't work in Firefox until I finally found some plug-in that made it work.

All problems aside I wouldn't use anything else out there. FFFTW.

Opera > Firefox. Yeah you guys might have that "browser crahes thing", however we have had that plus it will load back all the tabs you had when closed Opera last. That way incase someone accidently exists out of Opera or you accidently do, it's all there. Accidently exit out of a tab? Just hit ctrl z and boom it's back!

Opera has had this all years before.

Opera > Firefox. Yeah you guys might have that "browser crahes thing", however we have had that plus it will load back all the tabs you had when closed Opera last.

Slow down. Firefox has that too. It's in the Tools/Options/Main 'Startup', "show my windows and tabs from last time I used Firefox" checkbox. IE ver 7 has it as well.

Unless we are talking about games, I don't mind who came up with it first. this is stupid work software and has limited artistic-ness about it. I believe art work, music, movies, games, and the like should be protected, but we are talking tabs on a virtual page here. I can't stand copyrights that slow down the growth of technology and real world everyday products ... for example something like a zip-lock bag. How long did it take for the patent to wear off, mean while everyone was using those folded over sandwich bags and ziplock was charging an ass-raping for their bags. (most of you might be too young for that example) You get the point.

how about I invent a new type of fuel that is the cleanest and the most plentiful, and would do the entire world good to use it immediately, but I patent it, and nobody can use it, so I can charge way too much money, and rarely a soul uses it, therefore it's benefits are not felt.

meanwhile, the quality of air on earth plummets to the point of no return and mankind is doomed.

All because tabbed browsing was (not really - this is just a joke!) software patented.

(it's free software on top of all of this)

:LOL:

That way in case someone accidentally exists out of Opera or you accidently do, it's all there. Accidently exit out of a tab? Just hit ctrl z and boom it's back!
That sounds cool. might be useful - once or twice I recall accidentally closing a tab.

BTW thanks shasta. got it.

Accidently exit out of a tab? Just hit ctrl z and boom it's back!

Uh, Firefox already has that too. History->Recently Closed Tabs. Selecting one of the items in the list brings that tab back with the tab's history, and the tab's position on the tab bar.

It's funny that IE7 fixed a lot of issues version 6 had with code and page rendering. Yet I think the new interface looks terrible. The tabs are clunky etc.

Aw man, I love how you can save as.. an image on the internet before it completes drawing it!

With IE, you have to sit there and wait until the image finishes filling in before you can save it. This has ALWAYS ANNOYED THE SHIT OUT OF ME!!! Especially when you are waiting for a huge landscape photo to finish drawing, and it takes over a minute. With FF, I just click on the photo as it starts drawing, then leave and browse stuff.

Also, I seem to be browsing at full speed while still getting full speed downloads/uploads on my torrents!!! wohooooo!!! Might be from using 'FasterFox' add-on, IDK.

I couldn't even use Internet Explorer while downloading files from Torrents. Just doesn't work. 'you are not connected to the internet'

Also, I love how you can set different kinds of files to download to different places. For example, If I download a torrent, it automatically queues it with my torrent client.

Firefox kicks all kinds of ass.

Still haven't got Youtube to work yet. : perplexed : Going to try what you said you use Asus.

What skins are you guys using? Right now I have a black and dark grey skin as I wanted something the opposite of what I've been using for years.

Is there any dictionary upgrade? Most of the time when I misspell something, the correct one isn't in the list. And don't horrendously butcher the word either, it's usually only a letter off. I end up having to put the word in Google, and it corrects it flawlessly every time.

Opera > Firefox. Yeah you guys might have that "browser crahes thing", however we have had that plus it will load back all the tabs you had when closed Opera last. That way incase someone accidently exists out of Opera or you accidently do, it's all there. Accidently exit out of a tab? Just hit ctrl z and boom it's back!

Opera lacks a decent ad blocking system for people without a adzapper rig between them and the internet, I say decent because block content only works so well. Besides FF has a much better range of extensions.

To top if off I still can't figure out how to just have only the bookmarks toolbar on the left of my screen without all the other crap. FF view - Sidebar - Bookmarks and it's done.

I use

Clipmarks - Easy way to copy anything off a webpage.
Flashgot - enables single and massive all downloads.
IE Tab - duh
Net Usage Item - Great little item that tells me my peak/offpeak usage and amounts of data I can use per day before going over.
Noscript - duh
Not4chan Extension - Great for grabbing entire threads of images.
Tor Button - Easily toggle Tor usage.

I'm using the default skin. All the custom skins I've tried look like ass, which is probably due to the fact that I use a custom WindowsBlinds skin. Either way I like having a dark Windows skin more than having a dark Firefox skin, so bah.

Is there any dictionary upgrade? Most of the time when I misspell something, the correct one isn't in the list. And don't horrendously butcher the word either, it's usually only a letter off. I end up having to put the word in Google, and it corrects it flawlessly every time.

For me it's been about 97%. Only once did it not come up with the right one right at the top of the list. I misspelled it differently again and it got it that time.

Oh, others have mentioned it, but I love having Halflife2.net/forums, my email, wincustomize, torrent search, deviantart, and a couple other tabs open at all times.

So I'll be grabbing some amazing wallpapers from deviant art, switch to email to do some ... email, then switch to halflife2.net/forums to see whats going on, then switch to download some new windows skin for windowblinds, switch to google or something to search something.

I just leave these up all the time, never have to load the pages or anything.

I have been typing an email for a couple days, it even remembers exactly what I typed, no matter if I close firefox and open it back up again. Hell, I've even crashed it, and I just open it right back up and I'm right where I was in all the pages. Even the half written letter in my email or on forums is still there, even after I close the browser or after a crash.

Ohhh, I own the internet now.

Sweet, It works. I uploaded an image of my desktop.

I haven't been able to upload anything since I 'upgraded' to IE7. I didn't realize thats when it happened until now. Trying to upload something makes my modem crash.

Internet Explorer 7 is garbage. It could have been some setting in there somewhere, but I don't care, you should be able to upload things on a default Internet browser install.

EDIT: Hmm youtube is working now :D

not sure what I did.

Back