Fn Scar Wip

Okt

Reaction score
Well this is about 2 hours of work so far... C&C please...
Rip it to shreads.
scar_render.gif

-
scar_render2.gif

Waste of polies on both grips.
On the pistol grip: a players hand will be over it the whole time, no need to model indents in it.

On the forgrip: It's just a stright cyclinder with those grooves in it, they're so small and regular that no one will notice if they're textured on. And a players hand will be on it as well.

You also don't need to model a control dial on stock, no one will ever see it.

Too many facets along the top and bottom of the stock.

@mortey, its not like I am making this from my imagination...
@SidewinderX, they will most likely be normal mapped on, we need a source to do that though...

Thanks though.

Silly question, but when you look through the scope, isn't all you're going to see the front sight?

umm, has anyone realised that the weapon models in both CS and HL2 dont seem use normal maps, its mainly in the skill of the texturing. if i were you, id delete all the grooves off the handles and the majority of the front of the scope. then after that, you can drop a whole load of polies from the stock as thats not going to be seen ingame. just that would probably halve the poly count :p then theres no real need for normal maps, the small vertical grip is too far away ingame for someone to realise that the grooves arent modeled, plus theyll be under the hand most of the time.

PS. how many sides do you need on the barrel at the front ? it looks very high, maybe 12 or 16 ?

random.hero said:
umm, has anyone realised that the weapon models in both CS and HL2 dont seem use normal maps, its mainly in the skill of the texturing. if i were you, id delete all the grooves off the handles and the majority of the front of the scope. then after that, you can drop a whole load of polies from the stock as thats not going to be seen ingame. just that would probably halve the poly count :p then theres no real need for normal maps, the small vertical grip is too far away ingame for someone to realise that the grooves arent modeled, plus theyll be under the hand most of the time.

PS. how many sides do you need on the barrel at the front ? it looks very high, maybe 12 or 16 ?
HL2 weapons use normal maps, spec, reflection and so on, haven't looked closely enough at the CS ones.

hmmm, looking at the models again, they do look as if theyre normal mapped although its not particularly noticeble. i guess i couldnt tell before because it helps to have a moving light source. anyways, you shouldnt need a source model for those kinds of normal maps, surely they can be more easily... isnt there a plugin for photoshop to convert bump maps to normal maps ?

Razor said:
Silly question, but when you look through the scope, isn't all you're going to see the front sight?

not quite, but the front sight needs to be lowered a little so that it lines up with the center of the scope, that way the scope would sight through the middle of the front sight. This would then allow the owner to mount a simple lens scope without crosshairs, cheaper!!

Back