Fortress Forever media update

Sulkdodds

Companion Cube
Reaction score
New media today from Fortress Forever, a Source-based update of the venerable Team Fortress class warfare paradigm. In this third game in the 'Fortress' trilogy (after 'Fortress' and 'Fortress returns', and presumably preceding 'Fortress and Robin'), players will...oh, look, you know the drill. There are heavies, scouts, spies, snipers and more, all filling the air with hot led and rockets as they wage cataclysm over a variety of classic maps, endlessly fighting over pointless symbols (so-called 'flags') in a harrowing indictment of the horror and absurdity of war.[br]

newsspacer.gif
[br]
newsspacer2.gif
[br]
newsspacer.gif
[br]Click here to find more information and pictures - new media is marked in purple.

What the heck is going on with those bodies in the 4th picture o_O

-Alix

I wonder if all their hard work will go to waste once TF2 comes out.

It seems likely that this will be released before TF2, but I'm almost certain that TF2 will steal this mod's fanbase. It's a shame, really.

especially seeing as TF2 is nothing more than Team Fortress on the source engine with pixar graphics
disappointing for the FF guys

Besides, they'll clean up once Fortress and Robin is released.

It seems likely that this will be released before TF2, but I'm almost certain that TF2 will steal this mod's fanbase. It's a shame, really.

Hardly, anyone from the old TFC and TF communities can see that FF is staying more true to the core element that is TF. TF2 looks like a blast and I will definently play it but if I want true old fashioned TF play I'll stick too FF.

TF2 will no doubt attract the mainstream audience, but FF will be the flavour of clans and veteran TF'ers.

I will play both and I'm sure that goes for the entire TF/TFC community.

especially seeing as TF2 is nothing more than Team Fortress on the source engine with pixar graphics

What's wrong with that? It's going to be much better than some crappy BF2 clone than they were originally going to make.

TF2 will no doubt attract the mainstream audience, but FF will be the flavour of clans and veteran TF'ers.

Anyone who plays or has freinds who play Counter Strike competetively will know that the only way to have completely fair matches is to play the original game. None of the clans are going to move over to FF just because it looks pretty - I'm sure it will be riddled with bugs on it's first release (all mods are riddled with bugs when they are first released) which will make it impossible to play fair clanmatches on it. I think FF will simply attract people who want a revamped Team Fortress Classic with shiny graphics, but dislike the cell shaded look of TF2.

I agree with Cruor. I can see the competitive community staying with the less resource-hungry version, which will probably be Fortress Forever. Works fine with me because I'll probably get a better game playing on FF pubs than TF2 pubs.

Plus Fotress Forever has some interesting looking new maps and I've not seen any actual gameplay footage from TF2.

There's a Q4 Fortress mod that's even closer to release than the both of them, too.

It's like how the old HLDM crowd migrated to HL2DM Pro as opposed to HL2DM..

:)

(EDIT: I'm saying that the hardcore will go for the more literal translation of the old gameplay)

This will be tons of fun to play, mainly to see TFC on HL2 graphics. TF2 is still Source engine, but with the obvious graphical changes. Both FF and TF2 will be enjoyable in their own respects. There will no doubt be haters of TF2 (as with any game) that want "classic" TF and not a cartoon, so this will fit the bill for them.

Pitty they missed their guess on having a beta by 2 weeks ago.

Oh well.

Well to be fair, it's pretty hard to hit beta in the midst of a huge SDK update which basically ruined any chance of hitting that date. We didn't even have a linux server for two weeks as the SDK update fecked it. The current fix we have is down to mirv's ingenuity rather than valve fixing it themselves (we're still waiting on another SDK update to stop linux crashes).

Over the last few weeks, mirv (our lead programmer) has actually been helping out at least one other mod team in getting their linux server to compile & not crash, so it's definitely not just us that was affected.

I think we've made some pretty impressive progress over the last month in light of the circumstances we've had to contend with. Hopefully valve will sort out the SDK very soon and we can integrate the official changes instead of using our own.

TF2 will be a blast, but I definately look forward to FF more, even outside of competatively gameplay. Keep up the great work Defrag, and your dev team!

In this third game in the 'Fortress' trilogy (after 'Fortress' and 'Fortress returns', and presumably preceding 'Fortress and Robin') ...

Arf, this made me chuckle. My kind of humour! :) Can't say I'm too interested in the game though, sadly. I was a huge, huge TFC fan back in the day but I'm holding out for TF2 now.

Nobody ever plays push lol. I think this will complement quite nicely with TF2 :D

push had a following, actually -- mostly amongst small groups who liked some fun games without grens :)
It's never ever going to challenge dustbowl and 2fort in the popularity stakes, but it was a nice change of scenery in TFC.

heh, well I've probably played tfc for well over 4 years and I don't think I've played push on a public server more than a few times. Also whenever the map was changed to push it was quickly changed to something else. I didn't really like push either. :p

Are you kidding? I LOVED push. It was such a damn awesome map.

What the heck is going on with those bodies in the 4th picture o_O

-Alix

Its a Conc i think.
And theres no way TF2 will steal this mods fanbase, the competely different artstyle will be enough to win over countless people.

I think people are debating the TF2 versus FF thing a bit too vigorously. We've always known that it was possible that Valve would lift the curtain on a TFC:S or that TF2 may be more like TFC than originally planned. Neither event has changed anything we've done really -- there's no point in embarking on a three year project (the mod went into the planning stages before the infamous "ok HL2 isn't done yet guys, try next year :p" announcement) if your heart isn't in it or you fear what Valve may or may not be doing. A TF2 report was posted on some forums ages ago (talking the best part of a year or possibly longer) where a guy had toured the valve offices and seen a stylised version of well + TFCish stuff, so Valve's announcement hasn't exactly thrown us. For the record, pretty much all of the FF guys think TF2 looks amazing and we'll all be playing it just like the vast majority of TF players. Furthermore, TF2's videos & updates have been good for FF believe it or not. Traffic on our site is up and every time you see TF2 news posted somewhere, several people usually mention FF (which I realise is probably annoying :p) so it just goes to show that we're penetrating the public consciousness even on non-gaming sites such as youtube. We just send our news to the HL2 mod sites and that's about it -- TF fans are spreading the news.

As it is, FF and TF2 are miles apart in style and people may well enjoy playing both of them; that's why I don't understand why some people are so eagre to play it as a one-or-the-other argument, as if it's not possible to try or play both. We can't compete with valve in terms of experience or quality in the vast majority of departments, but we have put a ridiculous amount of effort into this mod and enjoyed pretty much every minute of it. Whatever happens, it's been a great experience and we can't wait to release it and let people try it out. At the moment FF is coming together really well and we're confident that a lot of people will give us a go. We're starting to see the emergence of some really "holy shit" moments in testing, so that's always a bonus :D

imo this looks way better than TF2, but then i havent played either, and i will definately be trying both. :) GL to you and the rest of the team, i cant wait to actually play it!

Besides, they'll clean up once Fortress and Robin is released.
Sulk I hate you now more than ever. Die in a fire. :flame:

Hey Defrag ... my friends and I are all assuming there's some sort of blackout on 2Fort screens to save the most popular for last. When are those shots coming, anyway?

Dunno. 2Fort, Dustbowl, HWGuys and Engineer have all been kept under wraps.

:(

I would rather play FF ANY DAY. While TF2 will be fun, I havent been able to play TFC since steam took over basically, because someone registered my legit cd key (bastards). Anyway I cant wait for FF! Most people I talk to say they would rather FF. yay!

This media update is nowhere near as impressive as previous ones. Still, it's good to see they're making steady progress.

Someone mentioned

the poor bf2 clone that tf2 was sposed to have been.

Well tf2 predates bf2 by quite a long time.

Hell i think even the original TF from quakes intent on being somewhat semi realistic. It wasnt possible at the time.

TFC was then a remake of something that wasnt realistic because it wasnt possible. TFC then (sadly imo) was made into something even less realistic. To the point where its actually 2 games. A public server game and a "pro" (tho who lives from tfc playing anyway?) game... The easy gratification crowd won by a long shot.

I pick up tfc once in a while but just throws it away again when i get smash right into that great wall of imbalance that youll run into after even a night a gaming.

TFC actually had the chance of being the counterstrike or bf of today but threw it away.

N e ways just ranting... Well looking forward to new interpretations... I just hope actually one of these games will actually promote the use of all classes... aka balance...

pssst.. this media update is about Fortress Forever, not Team Fortress 2. you mixed the two.
here's a good place to rant about it http://forums.steampowered.com :naughty:

also i think this update is the most impressive out of them all becouse it finaly shows the game in action and that they're almost there and looking good (aka http://www.fortress-forever.com/?a=media&id=ff_push_7) . the previous stuff was just eye candy for me.

the next update should have an "avi" extention attached to it and then "exe"/"rar"-for the glory!

Well, I'll certainly be trying both games - I'm sure they'll be different. Valve are clearly taking more risks with TF2 - perhaps "dumbing it down" to some extent, so I think there will be an audience for both. Look how popular CS is - thats a very simple game, but it doesn't stop people playing more complex games does it?

Obviously TF2 will have more players than FF will (unless FF gets a Steam/Retail release too!), but I'm looking forward to it and have been for the past 3+ years!

This media update is nowhere near as impressive as previous ones. Still, it's good to see they're making steady progress.

I agree with you. The media itself wasn't as thrilling, but the fact that these are all ingame screenies from successful playtests makes this update more exciting than all the other ones put together.

It's really starting to feel like it's coming together, even for just members of the community.

Well, I agree. That image of palermo is certainly the worst I've seen from FF - poor texturing and detailing being the main issue.

Back