Forum update

Chris D

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's about time we updated the forum!

We're currently running a version of XenForo 1.5 from 2016 and the latest version is XenForo 2.1 which was released this year.

Here's an idea of what we have missed since then:

XF 2.x was a complete rewrite so, as such, the style we're using now and some other functionality will not be available automatically.

However, I've made a start and thanks to @GERuss we've got an excellent remaster of the ValveTime.net style implemented in the new version.

This means we can launch fairly quickly, perhaps even as early as Sunday.

First, however, I wanted to give you guys an opportunity to take a look.

You can do that here:
https://blackmesa.valvetime.net/forums/

Just log in with your existing account!

Thanks Chris, the new features sound great and it's looking really good! I like the round av's for general use, though I would miss being able to show an expanded image on the profile page, but I could get used to it.

Very nice. Multiquote works! (although I forgot the "insert quotes" button was a thing so maybe it worked before lol)

Personally appreciate that the notifications dont get canceled just by mouseover on the notification button anymore.

so maybe it worked before lol
It did 😆

Personally appreciate that the notifications dont get canceled just by mouseover on the notification button anymore.
Glad you agree. It was a contentious change at the time. There are still some who argue that an additional click is somehow too complicated or unintuitive 🤔

Glad you agree. It was a contentious change at the time. There are still some who argue that an additional click is somehow too complicated or unintuitive 🤔
to be fair im old fashioned

sorry for the double post, but cheers to whomever changed the forum listing back to its old vertical format and only left the little half width cards for the game-specific forums. it reminds me of old times

sorry for the double post, but cheers to whomever changed the forum listing back to its old vertical format and only left the little half width cards for the game-specific forums. it reminds me of old times

Tell me about those, when you've a chance. I remember the color tan being a central quality of the old forum. Tan, with the citadel in the background. This would have been circa 2009, when I had just joined and was finding my way. I remember you could switch between two templates. I of course always kept with the tan version.

Back