Fox News on Newscorp scandal: hacking is a serious problem; also, get over it!

Bad^Hat

The Freeman
Reaction score
So you guys are probably sick of hearing about this by now, but I had to chuck this up because of how utterly mind-boggling it is. Fox & Friends aired a segment where they bring in an "expert" on hacking to confirm that, yes, hacking is a serious problem that America should be deathly afraid of. They then compare the recent hackings at the Pentagon and Citibank (both of whom were the victims) to Newscorp and wonder aloud why the latter is getting so much attention. The entire piece seems to have been constructed to try and throw attention off of the whole thing by painting it as something frivolous that the media are just "piling onto" to sensationalize when there are much larger issues at hand.

And then they segue into a story about Casey Anthony. Amazing.

Source: http://www.theatlantic.com/national...credible-thing-fox-news-has-ever-done/242037/

I think the important thing to take away from this is that Newscorp was the company doing the hacking and the pentagon and citibank were the companies being hacked.

The whole point of this segment was to spread false information to the part of the population that hasn't kept up with or doesn't understand this story. This segment will make sense to them, "yea, lots of companies get hacked, why does everybody care so much about THIS time? God they're dumb." So now when they see the story mentioned somewhere they'll (hopefully) tune it out because they already know the "story" and know it's no different than all the "other times!"

Unbelievable. They just wheel out a Murdoch buddy, this Bob Dilenschneider whose company website has a press release section detailing "How to Manage a PR Disaster, Q&A". His opinion being....pfft there are way more important things going on. Yeah this isn't important, Rebekah Brooks was arrested yesterday and the Met Police commissioner resigned. No chance it will be swept under the carpet.

edit: Also why does the news reader jump on Bob's side almost instantaneously? News readers in this country ask questions but I've never heard them throw their own hat in the ring.

I really don't see how hacking in to a regular Joe's phone just because he or she was a 9/11 victim would make an actual news story.These News paper people are dumb and they deserve everything that's comin' to them

Also why does the news reader jump on Bob's side almost instantaneously? News readers in this country ask questions but I've never heard them throw their own hat in the ring.

Exactly, if anything the presenter should remain impartial and simply deliver the different points of view of the guest they have on their show. This is clearly just News Corp officially shitting itself because it thinks this scandal will damage their reputation, which it has - so they're trying to divert any potential damage away from themselves to show a 'larger' problem, even if the problem isn't relevant.

Murdoch, what a cock.

Relevant:
Sean Hoare, the former News of the World showbusiness reporter who was the first named journalist to allege that Andy Coulson was aware of phone hacking by his staff, has been found dead .

Hoare, who worked on the Sun and the News of the World with Coulson before being dismissed for drink and drugs problems, was said to have been found at his Watford home.

"The death is currently being treated as unexplained but not thought to be suspicious. Police investigations into this incident are ongoing."

In September last year he was interviewed under caution by police over his claims that the former Tory communications chief asked him to hack into phones when he was editor of the paper, but declined to make any comment.

Hoare returned to the spotlight last week, after he told the New York Times that reporters at the News of the World were able to use police technology to locate people using their mobile phone signals in exchange for payments to police officers.

He said journalists were able to use a technique called "pinging" which measured the distance between mobile handsets and a number of phone masts to pinpoint its location.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jul/18/news-of-the-world-sean-hoare

that doesnt make a lot of sense to kill him. I mean the cat was already out of the bag. silencing him at this point doesnt make sense

The whistle blower that started all this is dead from unknown reasons.

Sean Hoare reportedly worked on the Sun and the News of the World with Andy Coulson before he was dismissed in 2005 for problems related to drinking and drugs. He was found dead Monday morning at his Watford home, according to the Guardian's report.
Coulson, who most recently served as Prime Minister David Cameron's media chief, succeeded Rebekah Brooks as editor of the News of the World in 2003. Coulson resigned from his government post in January and was arrested earlier this month in the scandal.

"The death is currently being treated as unexplained, but not thought to be suspicious," according to a police statement. "Police investigations into this incident are ongoing."
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43797504/ns/world_news-europe/

I'm not conspiracy theorist but that seems stupidly coincidental. And considering the police force were supposedly bribed in earlier years it's not to be taken lightly.

I wonder if the police will do as good of a job in this case as they did with David Kelly.