"Freeman's not done" - Lombardi

Evo

Tank
Reaction score
Doug Lombardi and Chet Faliszek have talked at length with Shacknews about Left 4 Dead, but Lombardi did drop a hint about the Half-Life series:[br]
Shack: Most of us were not expecting Left 4 Dead 2 to show up at E3. You guys had teased more information on Half-Life 2: Episode 3 earlier in the year. Should we expect more on that soon?[br]Doug Lombardi: [laughs] Don't have a new date. Since we missed the last time, I'm not gonna put out another one. I've said this before, but Freeman's not done with his adventure. Stay tuned for more.
[br]There is also a whole load of information regarding Left 4 Dead 1 and Left 4 Dead 2, perhaps the best bit of info is that 4 v 4 matchmaking will be coming to Left 4 Dead 1 sometime this month. Doug also commented on the sequel nature of Left 4 Dead 2:[br]
Shack: What price-point should we expect?[br]Doug Lombardi: This is a full sequel.[br]Shack: So full price?[br]Doug Lombardi: Yeah. At the end of the day, this is going to be a bigger game than Left 4 Dead. It's five campaigns versus four, all five are playable in Versus mode, Survival mode out of the box, the new multiplayer game mode. Plus over 20 new weapons and items. It's a full sequel.
[br]This is a really detailed interview, you can check it out here.

That should hopefully put the crow of torch and pitchfork holders to rest.

Nice interview.

I imagine it will give them more to rant about :D

Lombardi never mentions Ep3 here, just 'Freeman's Adventure' :/

It almost makes we want to believe they haven't done anything yet besides concepts and possibly engine updates... But atleast he mentions 'Freeman'.

Lol, this is very vague, and information we pretty much already knew, "you'll find out later". I don't think it will stop people from being pissed.

The interview satisfies me to a certain degree. The Clay Davis part made me chuckle.

It almost makes we want to believe they haven't done anything yet besides concepts and possibly engine updates... But atleast he mentions 'Freeman'.

They probs haven't there all just focusing on l4d2.

I just wonder why they thought people would be impressed or actually want to see a sequel to L4D (especially this soon and when most people crave EP3 info) I've barely played the original because (if I'm honest) it still feels a bit empty to me (I know they are adding to it just with the announcement of a sequel makes me feel whatever it will be it won't be much, I hope for at least one more campaign for the classic team)
I'm sure a lot of people are going to get angry 'cause of the words "Full priced game"

And they didn't ask about the promises they made???? Like new weapons, new campaigns, ... FOR L4D???

And they didn't ask about the promises they made???? Like new weapons, new campaigns, ... FOR L4D???

A promise requires the words "We Promise.." to be uttered, which no company ever does because things change.

Full sequel my ass! They actually did promise adding new content and now they're selling it as another game.

http://www.videogamer.com/news/valve_details_post_left_4_dead_launch_plans.html

Newell said that Valve's support of the game post-launch will be essential for growing the community.
He said: "One of the things that we're doing is we seem to be in a transition between games as a package product and games more of a service. So if you look at Team Fortress 2, one of things that's really helped grow the community is the continuous updates, where we release new maps, new character classes, new unlockables, new weapons. And we tell the stories about the characters, like the meet the sniper, or meet the sandwich. And that ongoing delivery of content really seems to grow the community." So each time we've released one of those for Team Fortress 2 we've seen about a 20% increase in the number of people who are playing online. And that number is really important because it determines how many community created maps there are, how many servers are running, and so on. So we'll do the same thing with Left 4 Dead where we'll have the initial release and then we'll release more movies, more characters, more weapons, unlockables, achievements, because that's the way you continue to grow a community over time.

I seriously love you Valve, but now you screwed up big time.

Yeah but seriously who is going to play L4D when L4D2 comes out (unless of course you don't get it)? It's going to have a better AI director, more levels and your able to play fan made maps on both games (no doubt someone will convert the existing campaigns to the new game)
Even if they do add another campaign into the original I don't see it holding peoples interest for that long...

If I remember correctly (I might be wrong here) Chet said that they'll still "update" it, not "add new weapons, characters and campaigns". All updates we've seen so far were bugfixes and one new gameplay mode (which didn't really amaze me).

"Stay tuned for more"

Please. We've been staying tuned for two years now. That's a rather dickish thing to say if you ask me.

No doubt because L4D sold more than the Orange Box they think it’s a better idea to release a game that will sell to a wider audience than a game that really just fans want.

You're very wrong; Episode 3 is very much in development.

how do u know? I think this is messed up like people say to be honest it is quite unfair to the fans to say nowt for 2 years while left 4 dead does get ton of media after 6 months. the guy above is correct Left 4 Dead does have a wider audience, lot of my mates got it for xbox and i mean a lot of them and none of them have played orange box or own it. Im sure it did sell a lot better

half life epi 3 not a priority and i really think by the "freeman adventure" statement they have scrapped the episode idea and working on a full game. Episode idea was to speed things up and its been an epic failure as its probably taken longer.

Oh stop crying, you act as though you never waited for a game before.*

*Half-Life 2 was delayed several times.

All i care about right now, is a small info or a picture showing EP3, Portal2 and CS2

No im not crying now find it quite interesting whats going on with hl i am just speculating that its no longer an episode! and everyone else isnt really crying there just not happy another game not that old getting a sequel before valves main game half life....just isnt like valve really

def reminds me of sims to simcity i think half life fans will have to accept left 4 dead is the half life sucessor and will be valves main cash cow now. episode idea really just didnt work which is a shame because hl2 came out in 2004 coulda just had a full on sequel game really by now! 1 more year and it be as long of gap between hl1 and 2 with only 2 very tiny episode games in between.

as i said above most likely working on hl3 now for 2010 or even 2011 with media next yr...but i am just specualting but id be seriously surprised if they make it episode 3 now because it just be bad marketing and most likely get slated for amount time it took by everyone. valve shud just be honest if they canned it for a full game thou would put the speculation and complaints to rest

Anyone would be stupid to think that Valve would stall or push aside the Half Life Saga semi-permanently.
Valve doesn't just work on one game at a time - and unless I'm horribly mistaken, L4D started out as a Turtle Rock Studios game, before TRS became Valve South in a merger / buy out.

So in my mind, Valve South has been working mainly on L4D and then L4D2 while the rest of Valve work on either Portal 2, TF2, Steam or EP3

Two days ago Chet said that they will release new stuff for L4D, and that they didn't forge about it.

The truth is though Digi that there were some big promises that never transpired and lets face it what Valve have added to L4D in terms of DLC so far really should of been in the game at launch. People were expecting at least 1 new campaign and maybe some new weapons. Valve would de well to correct this before L4D2 comes out.

sure they are working on multiple things but im sure left 4 dead and taking over turtle had some knock on affect, and left 4 dead prob sold better then expected. with the economic climate mayb they rather play it safe this year with a full sequel game

Anyone would be stupid to think that Valve would stall or push aside the Half Life Saga semi-permanently.
Valve doesn't just work on one game at a time - and unless I'm horribly mistaken, L4D started out as a Turtle Rock Studios game, before TRS became Valve South in a merger / buy out.

So in my mind, Valve South has been working mainly on L4D and then L4D2 while the rest of Valve work on either Portal 2, TF2, Steam or EP3

What he said.

I want Episode 3 as much as all of you. And yes I was shocked/surprised/had reservations about L4D2. But reading that interview, I'm pretty happy with it.

Plus I don't mind chucking money. So there you go.

I felt Valve swindled me on L4D, paid $50 for what was a $20 game which I couldn't be bothered playing anymore after 2 weeks, I won't be back for the sequel.

I've had 95 hours out of it so far, so it's been great value for me, and well worth what I paid for it.
I just don't see how or why they're going to add new content to L4D when they're supplanting it entirely in a few months time.
It's a pity really, another campaign or two would have really rounded it out.

Having said that, I doubt that Valve have finished with the original L4D characters yet, and I pretty much guarantee that the original campaigns will be reworked for L4D2 (even if it's by community members)

Don't be too naive, guys. Valve is out for money, like every other software company in the known world. L4D2 will sell like crazy, and we all know it ;)

While I understand that what you say in an interview can sometimes be casual and free, the "stay tuned for more" comment was a little much. I don't fault the feeling in which the comment was given, but I do fault the nature of the comment itself.

It sounds as if we were at the end of a television episode (imagine that), and were about to be given clues as to the nature of the next one. Unfortunately in this absolute extravaganza of new Episode 3 information, something is a little lacking about this metaphor. Mainly, there was no episode that we just watched, in that we haven't had any information whatsoever about the nature of Episode 3, as those two art pieces that have been shown are too cryptic and lacking to make any kind of future conjecture about, other than that there will be Combine architecture, and that there will be Advisors. That is in addition to the idea that when you say you will give more information... you do. As in the last time that Doug Lombardi told us we would have something new. I definitely stayed tuned. Very much so. Waited for the next 'episode of information', and we reached this point and when we got here, "stay tuned for more." This has been stalled quite a bit now. Suspense has been maintained, but it is about to reach DBZ levels of ridiculous. And we all know what happens when you power up for five episodes in a row without anything happening. People stop caring. (obligatory needless exclamation mark underscored by the creaking sound of a breaking soul)

This game is clearly aimed at the console market. Offering free DLC's or reasonably priced ones is a no no for Microsoft and EA. Not to mention the 360 limited storage capabilities when it comes to larger sized content. Valve could have easily fused this together with the current game and offered it to us at a reasonable price. Instead they chose to go this route.

I think the Half-Life 2 series may be one of the longest lasting story arcs in video game history. 2004 to ????

Don't be too naive, guys. Valve is out for money, like every other software company in the known world. L4D2 will sell like crazy, and we all know it ;)

exactly! no money then no business. need better PR thou :)

Hehe, awesome. I know they didn't drop Half-Life development, that would be foolish thinking, but still, Awesome.

Valve did this.

Survival is not a campaign, it's a mode.

@Twit

You could class it as DLC if it were merely an add-on (like Disturbeds imaginary campaign), but given the sum total of L4D2 is far larger in size and scope than the present game that's not an argument that holds upto close scrutiny.

maybe its just taking valve forever to decide what music to compose for episode 3 :p or it be THE NEW ADVENTURES OF GORDON FREEMAN and his sidekick crowbar :p

Back