Gabe Newell has compelled people to purchase the radeon 9800 pro just to play hl2....

HUGEkebab

Hunter
Reaction score
So a load of people went out and bought it-just to play half life as recommended neh plugged by Gabe Newell, and what now?

By the time hl2 actually comes out, there will bebrand new cards with brand new architectures that make the radeon 9800 pro look like a 32 meg geforce 2. If i were one of those who bought the pro on the heavy advisement of Gabe Newell then I'd be e mailing him and asking for my money back. You just cant go about plugging a hugely expensive piece of hardware like that and then pull out and release it at a time when that hardware will be anything but cutting edge. I can almost hear the lawsuits being written.

crabcakes, he has a point... to a point. Lots of people who purchased a 9800 for HL2 are gonna be pissed. Not me, I've had my 9700, and even if I bought a 9800 I would be happy as it would crush all graphics in the big games I play.

what? so im wrong am i, he didnt plug this piece of hardware in view of the hl2 release, he didnt say that you would get completely the best per0formance with this card and that he recommends using the pro? people therefore didnt pur9chase the card in view of this?

how many times have you read of people going out and buying this card so they can play half life in septemeber etc etc ive read loads of threads like this.

dont just say please go away, if you have an argument, argue, otherwise get out of my thread.

i can see where your comming from there kebab, although i can hardly see how gabe is to blame for the hackers

how does hackers hacking the source code= we cant release the game?

why is this? I really doubt they are going to change the source code for april.

It's ok HUGEkebab, some people here like to come into threads and say disrespectful things regardless of the thread topic.

and people aren't going to sue for a couple of hundred US$ ...actually maybe they will, you know what yanks are like

well i am going to buy the graphics card...but not just for hl2 man i am going to buy it to play for all my games and give me gr8 graphics on them all

No lawsuits will be pending anyways...Gabe may of implied the 9800 will run HL 2 ...and so it will whenever HL 2 is released.

thats it!

im sueing you for that post

J/k im not a yank, im aussie so she'll be right

well i got my radeon 9800 pro for £130 from pcworld cos of an advertisement error in the paper back on september 23rd :)

hehe i baught 3 and sold 2 for £250 each

uh dont concentrate on the suing aspect i was being flippant there, i dont really think anyone will sue him, but the rest of my post is serious.

The problem HUGEkebab is addressing is that Gabe said the 9800pro would be the best choice for HL2, while obviously it's not. Because better cards will arrive before April. So he does have a point. But I don't think you can blame Gabe for this. He couldn't have known about all the upcoming hacking problems.

Originally posted by HUGEkebab
what? so im wrong am i, he didnt plug this piece of hardware in view of the hl2 release, he didnt say that you would get completely the best per0formance with this card and that he recommends using the pro? people therefore didnt pur9chase the card in view of this?

how many times have you read of people going out and buying this card so they can play half life in septemeber etc etc ive read loads of threads like this.

dont just say please go away, if you have an argument, argue, otherwise get out of my thread.

1. unfortunatley ......these forums are full of it idiots....and the mods are to nice.....so i could spam your thread and call you names for the next week and no one would care....dont tell me to get out of your thread....

2. he did plug the hardware....becuase it was the best....there is always something bigger and better around the corner...that makes no sense...and he probobly thought they could get the game out in time.........if he didnt he would have told us alot sooner.....

3. if this is nothing but a scam by valve(yeah right) then i think it would be pretty ovbious........... these are some pretty nasty accusations...
why would valve spend the millions they made on hl just to piss it away by petending to be developing a game for the past 5 years........and why would they jeapordise everything by sceeming something like this up with ATI? Who itself is also worth half a billion or so $$.....do you think ATI is stupid enough to risk there whole corporation over something like this?

6000 3Dmark points are enough for me. Doom III Alpha runs smooth as glass. I can hardly forsee any games in the near future that would challenge that. Eat a dick HUGEkebab.

well thats what you get for heavily plugging a product so you can get sponsored by them. he shouldnt have been so willing to advertise ati.

i think we all know gabe has really c0cked up with this and has quite a lot to answer for. if id bought a 9800 pro id be fuming now cus theres no games that need that kind of hardware yet up to hl2, and by the time thats out the new ati architecture should be out.

im not suggesting a scam rcabcakes, im simply suggestion this is the price gabe will have to pay for heavily plugging a product for financial gain

better get your flame suit on

its gettin hot in here

(dont take off all your clothes.........for christs sake)

well thats what you get for heavily plugging a product so you can get sponsored by them. he shouldnt have been so willing to advertise ati.

i think we all know gabe has really c0cked up with this and has quite a lot to answer for. if id bought a 9800 pro id be fuming now cus theres no games that need that kind of hardware yet up to hl2, and by the time thats out the new ati architecture should be out.

thats not true at all.......

if i want to run games at 6xAA and 16xAF smoothley ...i need a 9800pro

stang, dont abuse people like that. if you disagree with me then fine, state your argument.

Yeah, when Gabe showed up at my door with that gun and forced me to buy my 9800pro, I was really shocked!

While it would've been nice had HL2 released on time, I've been VERY happy with my Radeon purchase, because, believe it or not, it plays ALL games well. Had I known about the delay sooner, I may have waited slightly longer and saved a few bucks, but it really was time to upgrade. Most of the new games coming out will benefit from a strong DX9 performer.

You're also way over estimated the advances that cards will make, even if the game is pushed back all the way to April (which I doubt.)

I have a bit more sympathy for those that purchased all new systems based on the HL2 timing, but that's a risk one takes upgrading for software before that software goes gold.

For those new to this phenomenon...virtually all software is late, not just games. It isn't that software companies lie, it's just virtually impossible to predict how long certain final stages of development will take. Software that does make an arbitrary release date is usually buggy. That's why the best release date of all is 'When it's done'.

HUGEkebab - my point is that unless Valve completely redoes the rendering portion of the Source engine, HL 2 will still be optimised for the 9800, even if newer cards are available when HL 2 is released.

i said NEED crabcakes. 250 quid is a lot to pay just so you can have a bit of antialiasing, and im pretty asure people didnt fork out 250 quid for that benefit.

Originally posted by strangelove
Yeah, when Gabe showed up at my door with that gun and forced me to buy my 9800pro, I was really shocked! .

that was a marketing scheme up on your HIZZZIE BIATCH!!

I must admit i also bought an 9800 (SE) to play HL2... Its my own fault, i should have waited till the release was confirmed.

My timing was actually so bad that i just picked up the card from the postal office and wanted to start installing i read about the delay.

Oh well, this card is blazing fast in every other game i play, and im still happy with it.

Hope HL2 comes out soon, im getting sick of all the beta crap on this forum. Way better to talk about the final game and all the fun things we can do with it (mods and such)

im not suggesting a scam rcabcakes, im simply suggestion this is the price gabe will have to pay for heavily plugging a product for financial gain

if everything people are saying about the game not even being close to done and all this crap with the hacker.......is true

it sounds very much like a scam.

1.valve cooks up some fancy crap...everything that has been released by hacker....suppoesedly all valve has

2.makes deal with ati to make them come out smelling like a rose in benchs, pluggs there hardware feircly.

3.ati gives valve 6mill$

4. ATis sales and profits jump incredibly in the last quarter.....22 mill$ in profit.

Do i think this is true? no...but anything is possible.

"Had I known about the delay sooner, I may have waited slightly longer and saved a few bucks..."

so basically you admit you bought the pro because of half life 2.

"You're also way over estimated the advances that cards will make, even if the game is pushed back all the way to April (which I doubt.)"

no actually the new architectures in all the tech news things ive read are expected 1st quarter 2004/early 2nd.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20030619023125.html

visit that link and it will tell you that by then a card about two times as fast as the 9800 pro will be out.

this is getting so sad someone mentions nething about hl2 thats not 100% positive and he gets flaming daggers from all sides. Freedom of speach ppl god its not like gabe is a god that is above us all and sure its sad all his work is now on the net BUT STOP FLAMING PEOPLE WHO ARE TRYING TO SPEAK THEIR MIND

So a load of people went out and bought it-just to play half life as recommended neh plugged by Gabe Newell, and what now?

By the time hl2 actually comes out, there will bebrand new cards with brand new architectures that make the radeon 9800 pro look like a 32 meg geforce 2. If i were one of those who bought the pro on the heavy advisement of Gabe Newell then I'd be e mailing him and asking for my money back. You just cant go about plugging a hugely expensive piece of hardware like that and then pull out and release it at a time when that hardware will be anything but cutting edge. I can almost hear the lawsuits being written.

You did say "If I were one of those whoe bought the pro" so I can safely assume you haven't bought one. Yes I purchased a Hercules 9800 for HL2, the game won't be out for a couple of months, but who cares it's not like all of us can afford to buy the latest cutting edge hardware whenever it comes out! Besides I flashed mine to a pro and it runs like a dream. If you had one you'd know what I'm talking about.

stang, dont abuse people like that. if you disagree with me then fine, state your argument.

way to use a star wars swear word in real life...jesus that's scary. but a bit scary that i recognized it :\

but seriously, anyone who upgrades for a game before the game even goes gold is just being dumb, or they actually need to upgrade for other reasons.

games get delayed. simple. people need to realize this and blame themselves for being impatient. it's ok...you can tell yourself you did something stupid. if you bought a 9800pro only for hl2 thinking it would come out on the 30th, you can tell yourself "shit, that was dumb...i'll never do that again...next time i'll wait."

of course, that only applies if hl2 is actually delayed until april. and if a much better card that you would have bought comes out between then and now......and if the 9800pro is cheap as hell by then.

if any/all of those things happen, you'll be pissed at yourself :p
...but still, the 9800 pro is a great card, so it's not like you're being ripped off if you bought one...you're getting gread performance in other games...unless like i said you bought it just for hl2...then you'll be mad when it's cheaper in a few months.

but that's what you get when you're impatient... =\

"so basically you admit you bought the pro because of half life 2."

No, it was one of many factors that influenced the timing of my purchase. I'd probably have purchased the card by now anyway for work related purposes.

"no actually the new architectures in all the tech news things ive read are expected 1st quarter 2004/early 2nd...."

Yes, and nVidia will have new hardware by then too. The nextgen cards will be very expensive, and the 9800pro will not drop in price fast enough to make a difference. I've been playing the graphics card game since waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back with the voodoo 1. I know the cycle all too well.

The fact remains, I bought the card, I love it, I love playing all games at 1600x1200 with 6x FSAA and aniso filtering at ungodly framerates. Thanks for the recommendation Gabe...love the card.

Quote:
-----------------------
"By the time hl2 actually comes out, there will bebrand new cards with brand new architectures that make the radeon 9800 pro look like a 32 meg geforce 2"
-----------------------

Now that is the stupidest thing I've read all day. A 9800 Pro should last you for a longass time. Even now it's power isn't used to it's fullest.

the next gen cardsw will be the price that everyone just bought the 9800 pro for. standard ati new card price.

good im gonna run buying ati cards gabe stop with the spam the next step is e-mail spam?

Originally posted by crabcakes66
thats not true at all.......

if i want to run games at 6xAA and 16xAF smoothley ...i need a 9800pro

False, HL2 works perfectly with a Radeon 9600 Pro with 6xAA and 16xAF with ±30-40 FPS which is perfect.

the 9800p runs hl2 great....so whats the problem, why would i want my money back?

Back