Gabe Newell's Interview with G4

Im sure there a very good reason behind there choices but these choices are business decisions, im sure they think of there customers but there company will always come first b4 silly fanboys who demand a game thats obv not ready :p

I mean was anyone REALLY expecting it or was it just wishful thinking? Because even for wishful thinking, that's a stretch.
I thought it could happen, but I was surprised at the "OMG no Ep3 news /wrists" overreaction - guess I should have seen that coming though.

I dunno folks: Gabe's last answer is very interesting. He really seems to sort of be saying that Ep3 info will get leaked in a fun way, like the way that the spy video got "leaked."

I would tend to agree. He did tend to repeat the term "Leak video" a fair bit ;)

Or we're looking too deeply into this and he was just trying to dodge the question :(

not surprising, even if there was news probably just been :p "we are planning to bring something exciting to episode 3" to be honest kind of what i had at least expected to hear. It shows how desperate it has become.....i seriously think the fans should just forget episode 3 and leave them to it. In some ways valve are acting just a little bit big headed, but for good reason because we give them constant attension about episode 3 and to be quite frank they dont deserve it because its no more just a title! a myth! Im moving on and just taking the mentality that half life is a dead series now, least for the time being. Just sitting there hopein and waiting is a waste of time. We know now that it def wont be out in 2009 which to be honest is pretty poor in itself considering we talking about episode 2 being a 2007 game :/ but i dont wanna be another post going on about that. Basically we need to move on and forget episode 3 for our own sakes!

not surprising, even if there was news probably just been :p "we are planning to bring something exciting to episode 3" to be honest kind of what i had at least expected to hear. It shows how desperate it has become.....i seriously think the fans should just forget episode 3 and leave them to it. In some ways valve are acting just a little bit big headed, but for good reason because we give them constant attension about episode 3 and to be quite frank they dont deserve it because its no more just a title! a myth! Im moving on and just taking the mentality that half life is a dead series now, least for the time being. Just sitting there hopein and waiting is a waste of time. We know now that it def wont be out in 2009 which to be honest is pretty poor in itself considering we talking about episode 2 being a 2007 game :/ but i dont wanna be another post going on about that. Basically we need to move on and forget episode 3 for our own sakes!

What, a series is "dead" because there hasn't been a sequel for 2 years? That's a pretty sad, and wrong, conclusion.

Awesome
That was a great interview. I mean, I know he just answered the repeating questions that have already been answered a
dozen times, but that's a good 'Everything Valve' update on what's going on. It's always more humorous when
Gabe is speaking anyway. Keep up the fine work.

And give us something soon! Geh!

What, a series is "dead" because there hasn't been a sequel for 2 years? That's a pretty sad, and wrong, conclusion.

no no just trying to say we should just not consentrate on it so much and enjoy other valve games that come our way as left 4 dead 2 does sound cool, thing is if we just forgot about it just be better. not saying its dead but we should like "act" as though it is. 2 years is a long time for episode game but as i said didnt wanna get into that, prob be more like 3yrs time its out

its a gd thing valve arnt in the tv business be a killer waiting for the next episode :p

Here's the simplest and most likely explanation why they have not shown Ep3 yet: they don't have anything concrete to show. I'm quite sure if they had anything good to show they would.

That is not the simplest and most likely explination. What they said is just as valid and likely (they are just not talking about it). Hey 14 days ago how far did you think they were coming along on L4D2? Zero. Nobody had a clue they were working on it. Yet here it comes.

I hate the power that Valve has over me. I really do.

The only power anyone has over you is what you give them.

i seriously think the fans should just forget episode 3 because its no more just a title! a myth!

If you take the exteme case of a fanboy that defends a company blindly to the end then go to the polar opposite. You fit into that category. You need to seriously get more centered. The series that defined Valve is nothing more than a myth just because they aren't talking about it? That is a little.... exteme.

That is not the simplest and most likely explination. What they said is just as valid and likely (they are just not talking about it). Hey 14 days ago how far did you think they were coming along on L4D2? Zero. Nobody had a clue they were working on it. Yet here it comes.

The only power anyone has over you is what you give them.

If you take the exteme case of a fanboy that defends a company blindly to the end then go to the polar opposite. You fit into that category. You need to seriously get more centered. The series that defined Valve is nothing more than a myth just because they aren't talking about it? That is a little.... exteme.

lighten up my post was just humor, cant u just talk about something without stressing out at some1 or trying to act as thou ur more inteligent, every1 has there view on here! just debate it proplerly, myth thing was clearly a joke! cause nothing about the game but whatever dont really care i just find it interesting to speculate like every1 else is on here, i dont go polar oppersite i just see both sides of the arguement ppl put on here to be honest

lighten up my post was just humor, i can tell u lot are americans jesus cant just talk about something without stressing out at some1 or trying to act as thou ur more inteligent, every1 has there view on here! just debate it proplerly, myth thing was clearly a joke! cause nothing about the game but whatever dont really care i just find it interesting to speculate like every1 else is on here, i dont go polar oppersite i just see both sides of the arguement ppl put on here to be honest
I don't think insulting the entire population of the US is "just humour".

You could at least type properly if you're going to go down that road.

forget it shouldnt of said it but just annoys me when ppl come on and try put down loads of ppl comments, seems happen a lot on here. anyway think interview was a very good read :) is there a video of it at all?

I think its very likely there isnt really anything to show yet,!

Actually, i think its quite the opposite. The fact that Gabe even makes the mistake in saying "we are only talking about L4D2 and EP3" and then Doug has to correct him and say "No we arent" means that they probably do have things to show and Gabe just wasn't sure if they were showing it yet or not. i mean, how could the CEO of valve think hes gonna talk about EP3 if they haven't even worked on it? hes not that oblivious to whats going on in his own company...

And he does mention there is a certain "reason" they haven't talked about it yet and even adds that he will tho....

And there are very good reasons why we’re not talking about Episode 3, which I can’t talk about yet, but I will.

Am I the only one who thinks the whole 'are we talking about EP3 yet' thing was accidental? I think it was a subtle way of calming peoples nerves.

Actually, i think its quite the opposite. The fact that Gabe even makes the mistake in saying "we are only talking about L4D2 and EP3" and then Doug has to correct him and say "No we arent" means that they probably do have things to show and Gabe just wasn't sure if they were showing it yet or not. i mean, how could the CEO of valve think hes gonna talk about EP3 if they haven't even worked on it? hes not that oblivious to whats going on in his own company...

And he does mention there is a certain "reason" they haven't talked about it yet and even adds that he will tho....

Yeah very good point there dude :) i hope ur right, but depends what gabe had in mind but that does sound promising, maybe that didnt want the thunder being stolen away from left 4 dead 2 at E3 lol?

This interview has given us the most info in a long time. I'm very happy with it.

Yeah very good point there dude :) i hope ur right, but depends what gabe had in mind but that does sound promising, maybe that didnt want the thunder being stolen away from left 4 dead 2 at E3 lol?

lol ya it would be like "EPISODE 3!!!!!......oh and btw l4d2". Maybe that would have been better. Maybe there wouldnt have been so many people complaining about it.

btw...

[G4: Do you think we’ll find out new details about Episode 3 by the end of the year?

Newell: Just so you know, the thing to me, that feels right, is the rhythm that Robin and his team are operating with...... So, yeah, people get the idea.]

He could have just said "no."

Yeah, some people who were afraid of Ep3 being cancelled or somesuch were reading too much into it. It's obviously a bigger project than Ep1/Ep2 and we know how fast the Valve guys work...

But I think there's also something else to it. Specifically, I think they want to move away from the infamous Valve delays. Ep1 and Ep2 were both delayed twice I think, certainly shipping well after the initial suggested dates. And those who were following HL2 before release surely remember the whole "September 30" deal. Valve is famous for that stuff by now and delays during development are expected. So my guess is, they want to do it differently with Ep3 - only show something fairly late in the development cycle and announce a release date only when they're 100% sure that the game will be out on that date.

Interesting Read, I feel sorry for whoever had to transcript the beast of an interview lol

I think its very likely there isnt really anything to show yet, or maybe its like the others have said and that they will leak a video. I get the feeling the source engine has been seriously updated for this as well :)

I personally quite looking forward to left 4 dead 2 now, they shud ditch console platform altogether really as it's always going to be an infrior platform, I think people are put off the pc because it used to be unstable which is funny when xboxes overheat and die anyway...steam is the best thing that happened to pc gaming. The sooner every game developer uses it the better!
Robster I think you are dead-on with Valve leaking stuff about Episode 3.

Lets look at that last Q & A:

G4: Do you think we’ll find out new details about Episode 3 by the end of the year?

Newell: Just so you know, the thing to me, that feels right, is the rhythm that Robin and his team are operating with. It’s like watching the reaction of that community, watching their ability to respond, looking at the quality of the work they’re getting with the length of those development cycles. They’re having a great time. And I think it shows on the other side, right? I mean, they were just giggling so hard when they were changing the buttons in the movies to say “leak video.” Do you remember the big screen with all the buttons? And they were like we have to put “leaks video” into that thing before we release it. They were just like cackling away. What should have been like, pretty demoralizing and stressful was for them, “Oh, this is no big deal.” So, yeah, people get the idea.

Now at first it looks like Gabe is completely avoiding the question. Why would he be talking about the TF2 Meet The Spy video? Hmmm. Hey, I know why.

Notice that he is alluding to how Valve leaked the Meet the Spy video. It seems plain and simple to me now: Valve is going to leak details on HL2: EP3.

Face it. Valve is smarter than us. They are playing mindtricks on our puny, little brains. How dare you question your beloved game developers?

Lol'd the way Gabe responded to that last question.

So, I gather that Valve still hates the PS3.

And this:

Newell: Yes. We haven’t done a good job of taking care of our PS3 customers at all for the existing Orange Box customers, and that is very frustrating to me personally. Until we can do a better job than we have, I’m sort of hesitant to go back and screw them again. So, I want to make sure when we have customers on the PS3 they don’t end up in the sort of second class citizen that I feel that they’ve been by what we did originally with the Orange Box.

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/6...he-Gabe-Newell-Interview.html#ixzz0IEXTe7V1&D

Is a lame excuse.

I've seen smaller studios with less experienced personel deliver AAA titles for the PS3, gameplay-wise and graphics-wise, such as Timeshift for example, great game, lame story though, and the studios has a far smaller structure than Valve. Mr Newell, please don't bullshit us.

Changing subjects now. Regarding the EP3 information blackout, I believe it's due to an engine overhaul, they're implementing so many changes in source right now I believe EP3 it's gonna mark a significant jump in terms of graphical quality, that and also that the game is receiving an artistic overhaul. And they're keeping it all secret so it comes as a great surprise to us when they finally reveal that information.

What was wrong with the PS3 Orange Box gameplay-wise?

And I don't see the excuse. He said their Sony excursion sucked and they don't want to do it again unless it can be done right.

What was wrong with the PS3 Orange Box gameplay-wise?

And I don't see the excuse. He said their Sony excursion sucked and they don't want to do it again unless it can be done right.

That is because you're looking enough.
Valve has the physical structure, as well as monetary resources to hire competent personel experienced in developing for the PS3, they haven't done so because they don't want to do so.
Gabe Newell has publicaly time and time again stated that he doesn't like the PS3 as console, has often criticized the console using vague, non-technical, arguments against the multi-core nature of PS3's processing chip.

Gabe Newell personaly dislikes the PS3, but he dropped that argumentation sometime ago because he realised he was beggining to sound stupid, as in "you're stupid like a 12 yr old". He dropped that argumentation and now is using the famous "We feel we're not good enough for the PS3 excuse".
Kinda like Id software's John Carmack, he also criticized the PS3 using the same vague and idiotic argumentation, but manned up, dropped that stupid argumentation and is now simulteanously developing a game for Windows, Linux, OSX, X360 and PS3 platforms in the same engine, that runs in smooth 30fps in its console versions.

If you really think that way, then you're an idiot.

If you really think that way, then you're an idiot.

Nice argumentation there. I wanna see you rebute my argumentation with solid facts, just as I presented. Oh wait, you can't. Your 12yr mind is too feeble to actually have a debate without resorting to offense.

Nice argumentation there. I wanna see you rebute my argumentation with solid facts, just as I presented. Oh wait, you can't. Your 12yr mind is too feeble to actually have a debate without resorting to offense.

I know many 12-year-olds who're more mature than this.

Actually, you didn't present any solid facts.

Just stopping by to say good job Barnz and Pi, keep up the good work.

Thanks man, means a lot.

Valve has the physical structure, as well as monetary resources to hire competent personel experienced in developing for the PS3, they haven't done so because they don't want to do so.
Gabe Newell has publicaly time and time again stated that he doesn't like the PS3 as console, has often criticized the console using vague, non-technical, arguments against the multi-core nature of PS3's processing chip.

Gabe Newell personaly dislikes the PS3, but he dropped that argumentation sometime ago because he realised he was beggining to sound stupid, as in "you're stupid like a 12 yr old". He dropped that argumentation and now is using the famous "We feel we're not good enough for the PS3 excuse".
Kinda like Id software's John Carmack, he also criticized the PS3 using the same vague and idiotic argumentation, but manned up, dropped that stupid argumentation and is now simulteanously developing a game for Windows, Linux, OSX, X360 and PS3 platforms in the same engine, that runs in smooth 30fps in its console versions.

The issue that Valve have is that they are all PC devs, with the 360 they can easily port over and usually the 360 version is only a couple of days behind the PC version at any given time. Where as the PS3 version would need a dedicated team working on it and it would slow down the whole development cycle as Valve like to quickly change something and test it. They can do that with the PC and 360 versions but would have to wait for the PS3. They had this issue with the Orange Box having to wait on EA UK who were doing the PS3 version which was way behind. Also one has to consider is it really worth it for Valve financially to get an in house PS3 team, i don't think the Half-Life PS3 sales justify it.

It's not an idiotic criticism lots of people who have develop for the PS3 still criticise it, it's a very difficult console to develop for. I believe Gabe and John know what they are talking about more than you do. John said himself that the only reason for the PS3 port is financial reason that's all, he still dislikes it.

Okay, a few things.

1.) Gabe Newell has voiced his displeasure with the PS3 because of the challenge it poses to developers. Valve is not the only entity to hold this opinion either. Newell was quite clear about what he exactly didn't like about the console.

2.) Valve did hand over PS3 development to another company. The port was handled by EA's development team. The Orange Box would have probably never showed for the platform had the opportunity just not presented itself.

3.) Following that second point, you can consider the port's paling in comparison to the PC and 360 versions can either be a testament to the very problem Gabe had with the PS3 or the poor work of the EA development team.

I can kind of understand being annoyed with your purchase of the PS3 port, but your posts need less fanboy.

Okay, a few things.

1.) Gabe Newell has voiced his displeasure with the PS3 because of the challenge it poses to developers. Valve is not the only entity to hold this opinion either. Newell was quite clear about what he exactly didn't like about the console.

2.) Valve did hand over PS3 development to another company. The port was handled by EA's development team. The Orange Box would have probably never showed for the platform had the opportunity just not presented itself.

3.) Following that second point, you can consider the port's paling in comparison to the PC and 360 versions can either be a testament to the very problem Gabe had with the PS3 or the poor work of the EA development team.

I can kind of understand being annoyed with your purchase of the PS3 port, but your posts need less fanboy.

What I'm trying to say here is:

Were Valve a lesser, smaller studio, with a smaller infrastructure, his excuse would make sense, take for example Kaos Studios's choice of not releasing Frontlines on te PS3, but with Valve, that's not case. They're fully capable of releasing PS3 versions of their games, if it takes a longer time than the X360 and PC version, so be it. We PS3 owners are used to it.

Heck, there are many studios out there, such as Guerrila Games, extremely well talented when it comes to developing in the PS3. All Valve would have to do is hand'em Source's code and say "Make this work on the PS3.". Instead they made to call not to port the Orange Box to the PS3, but EA convinced them otherwise and had Valve hand over the assets to whoever the Hell ported Orange Box the PS3, the result is what you see here, this mal-coded piece of trash.

Robster I think you are dead-on with Valve leaking stuff about Episode 3.

Lets look at that last Q & A:

Now at first it looks like Gabe is completely avoiding the question. Why would he be talking about the TF2 Meet The Spy video? Hmmm. Hey, I know why.

Notice that he is alluding to how Valve leaked the Meet the Spy video. It seems plain and simple to me now: Valve is going to leak details on HL2: EP3.

Face it. Valve is smarter than us. They are playing mindtricks on our puny, little brains. How dare you question your beloved game developers?

Hmmm..next class update on TF blog with a picture and the alfa at the back not clear enough. After 1-2 days of different news, Freeman breaks in with his crowbar!

LOL not gonna hapen but that's what came to my head after reading all these.

P.S: G4 left forgot another thing to ask: NEXT CS????

What I'm trying to say here is:

Were Valve a lesser, smaller studio, with a smaller infrastructure, his excuse would make sense, take for example Kaos Studios's choice of not releasing Frontlines on te PS3, but with Valve, that's not case. They're fully capable of releasing PS3 versions of their games, if it takes a longer time than the X360 and PC version, so be it. We PS3 owners are used to it.

Heck, there are many studios out there, such as Guerrila Games, extremely well talented when it comes to developing in the PS3. All Valve would have to do is hand'em Source's code and say "Make this work on the PS3.". Instead they made to call not to port the Orange Box to the PS3, but EA convinced them otherwise and had Valve hand over the assets to whoever the Hell ported Orange Box the PS3, the result is what you see here, this mal-coded piece of trash.

Exactly they gave it to EA UK who knew how to program for the PS3 and look how bad it turned out, now you want Valve themselves who haven't a clue on programming for the PS3 to do it. The PS3 version had issues and Valve couldn't fix them like they would for the PC and 360 versions because they don't know how.The smaller devs like Guerrila Games have there own projects do to and being a small dev team how could they work on Valve's PS3 titles as well. Valve's infrastructure is not that big compared to the other dev teams when you consider the amount of projects they are working on including Steam.

So, I don’t wanna somehow dismiss those, or sort of throw them under - but I think we’re in much better shape than would have been, in terms of our ability to move stuff, technology, products, uh, forward faster by changing how, ya know, being different than, ya know, there was Half-Life 2 and then there was post-Half-Life 2 in terms of how we were approaching these things and yea, I think that we’re overall pretty happy without somehow dismissing the legitimate complaints that people should have towards us. But, we’re happy with that choice that we made.

You know what Gabe, next time just take a minute and gather your thoughts before answering, huh buddy?

You know what Gabe, next time just take a minute and gather your thoughts before answering, huh buddy?

Exactly, Gabe did run away from user questions. Nothing there reminds me of Episode 3. So, is Episode 3 being developed in some secret Valve underground facility? That even Gabe Newell can't get into?

Exactly, Gabe did run away from user questions. Nothing there reminds me of Episode 3. So, is Episode 3 being developed in some secret Valve underground facility? That even Gabe Newell can't get into?

I was mostly referring to the jumbled nature of his reply.

What do you need reminding about? Gabe said that he can't talk about it yet. Gabe knows alot about EP3 and was ready to talk about it till Doug said they were not ready. Just be patient you don't need Valve reminding you of EP3 when there is no new info.

Back