Gabe Newell's LinuxCon 2013 Talk - Hardware Information Coming Next Week

Lobster

The Freeman
Reaction score
As previously reported, Gabe Newell has presented his part of the Keynote at LinuxCon 2013, a developer event covering all aspects of the penguin-based operating system. The main point of the talk was to discuss Valve's recent interest in the Linux platform and what they hoped to achieve by supporting it.

Gabe began by discussing Valve's frustration with closed-content systems such as Apple's iOS, stating that a single update for the Steam iPad app can take up to six months for approval. The hope is that an open platform such as Linux could create a unified base across desktop, living room and mobile devices, offering individual creators the freedom to innovate without arbitrary restrictions imposed by a single content curator.

To that end, Valve are working to improve the development experience on Linux, with work being done on the software side both in-house as well as in collaboration with external companies. Newell also hinted that details of Valve's work on the hardware side of things would be revealed as soon as "next week", though he offered no specifics on what form the information would take.

Below you will find a full video of the presentation. Though be warned: the opening music is painfully loud!

as always, really interesting talk. He seemed to be a bit nervous somehow which confused me

Anything he says could be turned into a YT poop or a "new epik memay"

I'll be honest, I became far more concerned the second I heard him say "seductive".

Here is a better version of the video from The Linux Foundation:

Back