Gabe Talks about CS:Source Bugs

kingthebadger

Reaction score
It's been a little over a day since the test release went live at cyber-cafes. We've been looking at the crash reports as well as the bug reports.

Problems we know about:

Can't create a listen server behind a NAT (you get a ticket error)
First time you launch the game, the material for the launcher background doesn't load
You can jump into the sky brush using a grenade
Crash in the vphysics code
Missing +ip command-line argument
Memory corruption in the server browser
Some hardware specific configuration issues
The first five will be fixed in a release we do tomorrow. The server browser problem may or may not get fixed in that release. The hardware configurations are getting fixed as we learn about them.

These are fewer issues than we thought we would get, so we are on track for the broader deployment on 8/18 (pre-loading on 8/16). This is good news for our overall Half-Life 2 release as we aren't seeing any pernicious stability, performance, or compatility issues.

from halflife2fallout

Awesome :D God, the more movies I watch the more I want to play (despite me being an "average" CS fan).

basically by the time cz/ati owners get it, many bugs will be fixed, so call yourselfs lucky!

Man, with every bit of (good) news and every screenshot/video, the hype seems to exponentially grow. I am just glad I get to spend one day of summer vacation with a piece of Half-life 2. I start the 19th. :(

Man, it is going to be hell trying to pry myself from the computer and go to bed that night.

Let me say this, VALVe ****ing owns every company on multiplayer aspects. ^_^

kingthebadger said:
basically by the time cz/ati owners get it, many bugs will be fixed, so call yourselfs lucky!

But there isn't many bugs in it at as it stands.

woohoo awesome news, thanks for that again Kingthebadger.

wewt Im getting uber hyped.. Im dying to try my hand at CS:S now... and I never even really liked CS.! ;D

oh Kingthebadger, how is mic quality in CS:S?

Great news, that means everything is going better than planned!!!!!!! Yeah, I have said it like a million times today, but it has been a great day!!!

Woot!! :cheers: :imu: :cheers: :imu: :cheers:

Think about how popular CS:Source is going to be?

Every CS Fan is probably going to be playing it (the ones with permitting computers, of course), and even people who aren't CS Fans are excited as hell....

:O

Baal said:
Think about how popular CS:Source is going to be?

Every CS Fan is probably going to be playing it (the ones with permitting computers, of course), and even people who aren't CS Fans are excited as hell....

:O
the cool thing about CS:S is I can play it without the fear of spoiling my SP HL2 experience... I usually dont touch MP until I have finished the SP game, now I can have my cake and eat it too.. then once I finish the SP game, I can move onto HL2's MP :D

So excited about HL2 again...

grrrr!!!!!! I want it I want it!

The only thing that spoils it is School starts soon...and I really don't want to go to school...

Well, not that soon, you guys seem to start before me, I don't start until the 2nd.

Me going to school in October,am a student of course.Oh when dose HL2 and CS:S will be released ?

For once everything seems to actually be going well for Valve! :D

This is excellent news, indeed!

Wait, am I missing something?

Isn't he basically just saying that the CZ/ATi beta period is still on track for 8/18, and that overall, it means that HL2 hasn't been pushed back from the already ambiguous release date of TBA?

"Less bugs than expected" is good news to be sure, but it really hasn't gotten us any closer to a concrete release date. That's all I'm sayin'...

The Mullinator said:
For once everything seems to actually be going well for Valve! :D

This is excellent news, indeed!
They've risen from the ashes of September 30th, and now have everything on track :thumbs:

I sent in a few bug reports for the following issues which I certainly don't consider to be minor:

1. Sometimes if you are blinded by two flashbangs in a short period of time the "deaf sound" will continue until you disconnect from the server. VERY annoying.

2. Jumping on barrels is nearly impossible to do. Only way to do it is if the barrels are resting against the walls in a corner. Any other time you tend to just pass right through the barrel.

3. Not quite a bug, but a rather serious problem with the game itself. Feedback for when shooting the enemy is nearly non-existant. Blood decals and particles are very small and at a distance are very hard to see. Without any visual or auditory feedback you really can't tell if you're hitting your intended target. Counter-Strike included distinct sounds, easily noticed blood splatter, and "twitching" of the player model when hit. As a result the guns feel far more "random" than they do in 1.6 or CS:CZ since you can't tell if you're hitting the enemy.

4. Many times shots haven't registered. On LAN, this is at a far higher rate than I've ever seen the original Counter-Strike mess up. Playing on LAN with 10ms ping still allowed me quite a bit of lead time on AWP shots. I missed quite a few shots that were dead on, and made many that were way off. This kind of stuff happens in Counter-Strike when my ping goes above 100ms, but almost never on LAN.

Mad Dog said:
Wait, am I missing something?

Isn't he basically just saying that the CZ/ATi beta period is still on track for 8/18, and that overall, it means that HL2 hasn't been pushed back from the already ambiguous release date of TBA?

"Less bugs than expected" is good news to be sure, but it really hasn't gotten us any closer to a concrete release date. That's all I'm sayin'...

yeah but it means when they do give a concrete release date it'll be sooner rather than later

Well it's good because usually they delay stuff... and now they're sounding like things are being brought forward.

And it's preloading soon god-dammit!!!

And I really don't see them having it preloaded for another year before they release, which means we are getting there slowly but surely ;)

Fallout said:
Sometimes if you are blinded by two flashbangs in a short period of time the "deaf sound" will continue until you disconnect from the server. VERY annoying.

Simular to the TFC minigun the HWGUY has. The gun sometimes continues to make a noise after letting go of the trigger. This bug is as old as TFC itself. I forgot this is CS though so it will be fixed in no time.

Back