Game crashing/closing on XP

W

wardy277

Hi,

I have purchased the orange box and half life 2, ep2 works fine. but when i play ep2 or portal it keeps crashing.
there has been an update, which didnt help at all. I have run a validation of the local files which didnt say there was a problem.

Also I read somewhere that steam conflicts with NOD32 and causes crashing. i completely removed nod32 and rebooted but it still crashed.

This is really frustrating as I cant do anything in the game. The longest i have played is 20 seconds without it crashing. i have tried turning the graphics to low,
i have even tried runing the shortcut in compatibility mode.

sometimes the game just closes and sometimes it comes up with the windows, this program has crashed message, with send and don't send buttons.

I have tried running portals and then loading a hl2 map which didn't load any portal gun and it still crashed.

anyone know what could be causing this? could it be that nod32 has not been completely removed?

My Specs:
Windows XP SP2 MCE
AMD 3400+
Club 3D nvidia 7900GT (tried latest and latest beta drivers)
1Gb RAM

No it just closes. sometimes the size of the game window(1024x768) is a black box behind the windows send/dont send window but 75% of the time it just closes instantly, it doesn't hand or freeze.

someone has got to have some idea? please help i really want to play this game

Once again

Make sure you have the latest and greatest video card drivers. This is usually the predominant main problem with crashing games.

i have tried the newest drivers and even the beta release. still no joy

idk, I had an issue on XP too. I was able to run it in Windows Vista, though. I too, had an nvidia 7900(though it is a GS.)
My specs are:
Intel C2D 1.86GHz
2GB Ram
BFG nVidia 7900GS 500MHz OC
460GB HD space

Next time you get and Error Reporting dialog box, click the details button and post the error. You could also go into the Microsoft Management Console (mmc), add the Event Viewer snap-in and check the Application event list. The error should have been recorded, and you can review it from there.

the windows error says :
AppName: hl2.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 MonName: ntdll.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.21.80 Offset: 00018494

It also links to an xml file:

http://www.dynamicart.co.uk/Archive/e91e_appcompat.txt.xml

Would upgrading to vista help? i heard that games run slower on vista then they do with xp. can u dual boot xp with vista. i'd rather see if it works first before upgrading

thanx for your help

Chris

Honestly: based on what you're reporting, it sounds like either you don't have all of the latest windows updates (optional updates are recommended by my standard), or you've got a driver conflict.

Of course, there is always the possibility that you've got an application running in the background that insists on closing the game on you. :|
I suggest cross-referencing any processes you're unsure of with Google - there's usually a good detailed explanation on what the process is and what it does.

As a first step, make sure Windows and your device drivers are up to date, as suggested.

I see that you have the ability to host files, if your still having issues, run msinfo32.exe, save the system summary and host the resulting .nfo file. From there I will be able to check you device driver versions and check any Windows Error Reporting entries.

This is the report you requested. I have just burchased a new graphics card to the nvidea 8800GTS and the problem still occurs, i did get a wierd memoey error. could it be a bad ram? i have run a memory diagnostic on boot that said there were no errors????

http://www.dynamicart.co.uk/Archive/system.nfo

Thank you for your help

It's interesting that Portal and Ep2 won't work: they have a minimum of DX8 whereas the other games only require DX7. R U sure you've got the latest Direct X 9 (or 10 if you're running Vista) runtime environments installed? Works fine for me with a C2D, XP and a 7900 GTX.

I have now got some new Ram as i had a few memory error and that hasnt hellped.

this is becoming a really strange problem. I have reinstalled XP onto a different HDD, got a new grahpics card(EVGA 8800GTS 768Mb memory with latest drivers installed), new RAM (2Gb), verified all the data and it still crashes.

the only thing that is the same as before is the motherboard and cpu. I have onbord sound card so i have tried disabeling that and rebooting with no success. my last resort is to delete the local content and re download the files. have any of you heard of anything like this?

Chris

I have the same problem. I actually assumed this thread was dead and started my own in the help section. I'm starting to think it might be the sound card, but I seriously doubt it.

hi everybody... i just installed the game two days ago, and got the same message error. steam was updated automatically, so it should be running with the latest version. i also installed the game on another system, and got the same message, with different references though... the message appears before the loading of the game is completed, that is between the valve film and the menu options appear. any idea how to fix this, please...?

windows is fully updated, with the exception of a few optionals.

many similar issues on this topic:
http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?p=2485940#post2485940

I have the same prob,

but my pc Turn off Sudden and make restart in my case :(

Back