Game too dark

X

Xtreme947

Hello All:

I'm having trouble with Half Life 2 in that the game is too dark to play for me. I've adjusted the gamma correction in game to the highest it can go (1.6) but even then I cannot see the "3 lines of text" that I'm supposed to see at all.

I have the latest nVidia drivers, the latest motherboard updates, the latest version of Direct X (9.0c) installed, set my monitor to the highest brightness/contrast possible, but to no avail. I understand the game is SUPPOSED to be dark and spooky, but there is a difference in darkness between spooky, and just plain irritating, which is what I'm currently experiencing in the game. I've even searched Steam's answer base for anything related to gamma correction in the game, but unfortunately, found nothing.

The closest thing I've come to playability is using the R8 HDR BLOOM hak that lightened up the game enough for me to play, but after the 9/23 patch that hak (at least for me) no longer works. Loading any R8 HRD BLOOM game would crash the game b4 it ever loaded up. I eventually completely uninstalled both the R8 HDR BLOOM Hak AND Half Life 2, and reinstalled them... NOW the R* HDR games will load, but with a pink checkerboard effect on the screen =-\

If anyone knows a way that I can lighten the game up beyond the in-game gamma correction settings (maybe something with a custom .cfg file which I've heard of) I would really appreciate it. I really love this game, but ever since the 9/23 patch, I haven't been able to enjoy it =(

Thank you. =)

-Xtreme947

First question. Is it just HL2 or is it everything. If it's just HL2 then DirectX settings and mointor settings arn't causing the problem and you can concentrate elsewhere.

I understand the game is SUPPOSED to be dark and spooky, but there is a difference in darkness between spooky, and just plain irritating, which is what I'm currently experiencing in the game. I've even searched Steam's answer base for anything related to gamma correction in the game, but unfortunately, found nothing.
HL2 is not suppose to be a game thats Dark And Spooky, maybe besides the Ravenholm levels but other than that, it's not suppose to be dark and spooky AT ALL.

The closest thing I've come to playability is using the R8 HDR BLOOM hak that lightened up the game enough for me to play, but after the 9/23 patch that hak (at least for me) no longer works. Loading any R8 HRD BLOOM game would crash the game b4 it ever loaded up. I eventually completely uninstalled both the R8 HDR BLOOM Hak AND Half Life 2, and reinstalled them... NOW the R* HDR games will load, but with a pink checkerboard effect on the screen =-\
Patch messed that up.

If anyone knows a way that I can lighten the game up beyond the in-game gamma correction settings (maybe something with a custom .cfg file which I've heard of) I would really appreciate it. I really love this game, but ever since the 9/23 patch, I haven't been able to enjoy it =(
Hmm.... did you mess with "color correction" in the drivers?

Yes, it might be done with a CFG file, but I can't seem to find the command for it :/

I don't know how the nvidia drivers work, but I know with the ATI drivers you can set the brightness to be higher in games through the ATI control panel.

diluted said:
I don't know how the nvidia drivers work, but I know with the ATI drivers you can set the brightness to be higher in games through the ATI control panel.
Yep pretty sure the nVidia drivers have something similar for setting brightness/contrast/color controls independantly for full screen 3D and desktop stuff.

Back