Games not bought on Steam

rikt

Space Core
Reaction score
I am wondering if I buy a game on an online store that exists on Steam, can I activate it on Steam and have achievements, etc?

In this case I am talking about a particular game called "Deponia" which costs about 20€ on Steam but only 4.25£ on a certain very popular online store in the UK.

Thanks

Probably not, unless it says so on the product page from your retailer.

It depends on the game but the most likely answer will be no. Certain indie games have been known to offer steam keys to any customer regardless of where they picked it up, but this is the exception rather than the rule.

What about games bought on the current Amazon.com sale, how does that work?

I would like to buy that Borderlands Pack for 21$, but I'm not at home. Can I buy it and download and activate later?

No digital distributor would force you to download something at the time of purchase. As long as the game is owned on that account you can log into it and download it where you want. Though many times there are download limits, so don't waste any accidentally after you buy it.

No digital distributor would force you to download something at the time of purchase. As long as the game is owned on that account you can log into it and download it where you want. Though many times there are download limits, so don't waste any accidentally after you buy it.

It seems to have DRM for steam. Do I even have to dowload it from Amazon? They sould give us the code only and we could use it on Steam, right?

If it gives you a Steam key then you can activate it on Steam any time and download any time with Steam.

Right
If it gives you a Steam key then you can activate it on Steam any time and download any time with Steam.

Right, the question is is that how it works? Has anyone here bought anything at amazon.com and then activated on steam?

I'm just looking for confirmation from someone who did it...

Thanks for the answers and help so far!

It looks like it should work...only problem now is that bcause I have a european account amazon.com says they are not selling to me...

I only buy retail editions from amazon. However with my pre-order of Bioshock Inifinite they gave me a steam code for Bioschock(1) which indeed worked on steam!

Back