Half-Life Mod “Sven Co-op 5.0” Out Now on Steam!

-smash-

Content Director
Reaction score

sven-coop-banner.jpg

As was promised to us a few of years ago, Sven Co-op is now available on Steam – for free!

In case you don’t know, Sven Co-op is an online cooperative mod for Half-Life. You get to play along with friends to fight against monsters and to solve puzzles in the Half-Life universe. While the weapons, monsters, and characters are similar to that of Half-Life, the difficulty has been ramped up to better suit team play.

gordon.png

According to a recent news post from Sven Co-op’s developers, the stand-alone game includes "many hundreds of features, fixes and improvements, as well as new maps and content." Valve has also been generous enough to allow the developers "to include [Valve's] original Half-Life campaign free of charge, playable cooperatively even by people who don't own the original game!"

sven-coop-screenshot-1.jpg sven-coop-screenshot-2.jpg sven-coop-screenshot-3.jpg

Valve has also provided the Sven Co-op developers with a license to Goldsrc, allowing the team to be able to "update the engine itself to allow Sven Co-op and its maps to surpass the limitations of standard mods." And with this Steam release, the developers will be able to provide more frequent updates, and eventually add support for the Steam Workshop.

So now that you’re caught up, it’s time to play. This really is an excellent mod, and its 17-year history of community and support is a testament to that.

See you on the battlefield!

Sven Co-op Steam Store
Sven Co-op Website
Sven Co-op Facebook
Sven Co-op YouTube

Image credit to Sven Co-op.

Last edited:
How generous of Valve.

However, seeing how much Valve allows fanbase to "play" with Half-Life series (Black Mesa, incoming "Prospekt" add-on, and now this) I'm afraid, that they're simply not afraid about integrity of the series, completely leaving it in hands of fans.
Such behaviour would be fine in case of series, that was confirmed to be "dead" and will no longer be developed officially.

I remember randomly meeting Angry Lawyer in Sven CoOp back in the day then playing with him for hours, what crazy happenstance.

How generous of Valve.

However, seeing how much Valve allows fanbase to "play" with Half-Life series (Black Mesa, incoming "Prospekt" add-on, and now this) I'm afraid, that they're simply not afraid about integrity of the series, completely leaving it in hands of fans.
Such behaviour would be fine in case of series, that was confirmed to be "dead" and will no longer be developed officially.
That's one theory. In general, I think it's more of a case of Valve's support for community generated content, and that they want to try their hardest not to get in the way of content creators, especially with regards to quality Valve-centric content.

Back