Genetically Modified Food...The debate rages on

L

Lambada

A dull thud echoes hollowly in the still air, sounding agonizingly loud in the tranquil night. With each sound, the wraith-like figures pause in their tasks, glancing nervously towards the distant house. Working methodically, they cross the entire field; the figures spare no plant from their attentions. One by one the corn stalks fold and collapse to the earth, brought down one after another by precise machete blows. Within hours over 1000 corn plants have been destroyed, leaving only bare stumps where the crops once grew. Slipping silently away, the figures leave only a few rows of corn on the sides of the plot untouched to conceal the deed: they have accomplished their mission.
It is the middle of August in Maine, 1999, and in an act of ‘ecoterrorism’ a group of activists has destroyed half-an acre of genetically modified crops sown by the University of Maine in their experimental test plot. The experiment, which was a cooperative investigation between University professors John Jemison and Michael Vayda to determine the susceptibility of regular crops to pollen from the modified corn breed ‘Roundup Ready’, has been seriously set back. "It's a shame,'' Jemison comments as he looks over the mutilated plot of corn, “We're not trying to hide anything here. We're just trying to provide Maine farmers with some practical research...”
This incident highlights the controversy surrounding genetically modified food, and the extreme measures some are willing to take to safeguard what they view as the sanctity of evolution. The moral and scientific debate has raged for years in the courtrooms and streets of the world: both in and out of view of the public eye. Regardless of what any company CEO or Greenpeace activist would have you believe, the fact remains that genetically modified foods have become a part of everyday life, even if we the consumers are unaware of it. In the United States for example, 68% of soybeans, 70% of cotton, 26% of corn and 55% of canola is GE (genetically engineered). 32% of the commercial seed market, the very seeds that grow the crops we eat, create the clothes we wear, that feed the animals we raise…are genetically engineered. To simply argue in favor or against genetic modification is difficult because a basic knowledge of the concepts involved is needed to take it beyond the realm of media headlines.
Every year an estimated 12 million children die from hunger, and another 700 million people are severely malnourished. As the human population increases and additional farmland becomes increasingly scarce, we are forced to seek a new solution to our problems. Genetically modified foods may hold the answer to one of the oldest problems humanity has faced: global hunger. New super crops being developed by companies worldwide can provide us with more food and at a much faster rate. These new innovations may be a godsend to the Third World: crops modified to grow with less water, more resistant to inclement weather and capable of producing their own pesticide have the potential to lift millions from famine.
Genetic modification in the form of evolution has existed for millions of years. When organisms develop advantageous traits, they are able to reproduce more efficiently, ensuring a higher percentage of their offspring will survive to mate and continue the cycle. As those organisms who posses the trait live, and those organisms who do not die off, the trait eventually spreads to the entire species. According to the Darwinian school of thought, this process, known as selective breeding, is how all life has evolved on earth. This technique has by no means been limited to the natural world. Farmers and breeders have worked thousands of years to create grafted plants and crossbred animals. Biotechnology companies point to these examples to justify their methods, claiming they are simply ‘building on the principles’ of age-old techniques. What they are doing is merely ‘natural’…
While much of the above is true, there are a number of flaws in the argument. To begin with, genetic modification involves taking the cells of one organism and inserting them into another completely unrelated one. Even crossbreeding is limited by the fact that breeders cannot pass the barrier that differentiates species. Genetic engineers can actually circumvent these barriers, giving them unrestricted access to the very building blocks of life: DNA. Some examples of this technique include placing fish genes into tomatoes to make them frost resistant, breeding crops with toxin from bacteria to allow them to create their own pesticide, and even developing plants that can use heavily contaminated municipal sewage as fertilizer. Thus those who advocate the use of GE food can hardly call it ‘natural’ or an extension of an old technique.
Proponents of GE may claim that it poses no real threat to society, and indeed all deaths up until this point believed to have been caused by GE have actually been discovered to be due to toxins accidentally introduced in the food making process. However, scientific studies indicate that genetically modified crops may pose a number of risks, both to the environment and to their consumers.
Allergies in human beings are caused by particular proteins, and genetic engineering involves adding and removing proteins from DNA. Thus, there is a concern that GE may cause allergic reactions in consumers. For instance, it was once discovered that a crop of soybeans had been genetically modified in such a way that they contained proteins from Brazil nuts. The University of Nebraska conducted tests on the blood serum of 9 subjects allergic to Brazil nuts and found that 7 experienced allergic reactions to the soybean hybrid. Thankfully the shipment was stopped before it reached the global market, but in the future oversights such as these may not be caught in time. An estimated 8% of children have allergic reactions to commonly eaten foods, and the number is rising. In light of such facts, it seems prudent to investigate GE foods more closely.
GE Mega-corporations such as Monsanto (the creators of Agent Orange and the Bovine Growth Hormone) have quickly scrambled to protect the intellectual properties to their products, claiming they have the right to patent the genetic strains they have created. Some of these patents, however, throw the motives of these companies into question. The so-called ‘Terminator’ gene developed by one of Monsanto’s companies prevents crops from reproducing. While the company ostensibly claims this prevents GE and non-GE crops from reproducing, they fail to mention it forces farmers to buy new seeds each time they sow a new crop. Thus the farmers are trapped, forced to buy new seeds each year in order to meet the demand of consumers.
Last and perhaps most disturbingly of all: we truly are what we eat; a study in Germany found that DNA from a GE crop fed to a mouse penetrated the cells of its body and replaced some of its own DNA. A single mouthful of food could very well change the fate of an entire species, perhaps for the better, perhaps for the worse. The very things we eat become part us, thus we are inescapably connected with nature. If we play God with nature, are we in turn playing God with ourselves?
With numerous benefits to offer, genetically modified foods have become an invaluable asset to the human race, and promise to become infinitely more useful in the future. Yet before we take the final step and throw ourselves wholeheartedly into such a future, we should pause and consider the consequences.

I invite one and all to respond to this mini-essay :)

Please use the Enter Button. :sleep:
just chop it up into smaller chunks so i can take it bit by bit, the thought of reading all that right now scares me! :p

The biggest problem with Genetically Modified food is that a lot of people are believing the scaremongering hippies that attack farmers, cause criminal damage, burning crops, etc, when these foods would mean the end to world hunger.

I don't see a problem with them as long as they are tested properly.

Razor said:
The biggest problem with Genetically Modified food is that a lot of people are believing the scaremongering hippies that attack farmers, cause criminal damage, burning crops, etc, when these foods would mean the end to world hunger.

I don't see a problem with them as long as they are tested properly.

Hunger is a political problem, there is enough food in the world, it just isn't devided equally. Genetic food isn't a big problem it's the way it's beeing done and the political attitude.

Here is what a crazy left wing nutcase has to say about it, and I agree with a lot of it, though in a more reseved way.
http://www.monbiot.com/archives/category/genetic-engineering/

i dunno about long term effects in each generation of altered foods, i think we need to give it more time (i know starvation is a problem NOW) before we start shipping it off.

the problem as I see it with GM foods is that it was never about eliminating world hunger but rather making more money.

here's a good article that proves in many ways GM foods is far more harmful than good for 3rd world farmers. Sypnosis: GM seeds or "terminator" seeds are "designed to genetically switch off a plant's ability to germinate a second time". Farmers who used to rely on re-using their seeds for many generations are now forced to re-buy these seeds every year

"The traditional practice (tried and tested for thousands of years) of saving seeds for the next harvest comes under threat due to a US patent on this technology to prevent "unauthorized seed-saving" by farmers.

Supporters of the terminator, or suicide, technology believe that the idea of it is for the protection of corporations from unscrupulous farmers. Control of seed germination helps prevent growers from pirating their technology. If crops remain fertile, there is a chance that farmers could use any saved transgenic seed from a previous season. This would result in poorer profits for companies"

source

Yeah but I don't understand why the farmers can't just not buy them and use their own seeds that they used fro ages. Or will they be forced like in Iraq(link ), or will they be forced by the economics, meaning that they will have to use them to stay competative.

But why not just plant the traditional non-GE crop? If it's going to actually make you less money to plant GE crops, then why bother?

There is so much BS and scare-facts surrounding a lot of GE information that it's really often hard for the public to get a clear picture of what's going on. Myself I have no opposition to it as long as the people selling the crops are smart about it (sufficient testing and controls). Let the market decide if theres money to be made with them.

Last and perhaps most disturbingly of all: we truly are what we eat; a study in Germany found that DNA from a GE crop fed to a mouse penetrated the cells of its body and replaced some of its own DNA. A single mouthful of food could very well change the fate of an entire species, perhaps for the better, perhaps for the worse. The very things we eat become part us, thus we are inescapably connected with nature. If we play God with nature, are we in turn playing God with ourselves?
That one's got me really skeptical. The implications of being able to write over an organisms DNA by consumption is bigger news than just a reason to avoid GE crops. GE food's DNA is the same as any other DNA in the planet. It's the same molecules just arranged slightly differently. So if GE foods have this problem then it follows that all foods should too. So then just how much corn DNA do I have in me?

the issue is forcing farmers to use their seeds ..which only have one geration lifespan ..as opposed to convential farming that sees seeds recyled over generations. It's an attempt at cornering the farming industry so that small family owned operations give way to multi-nat collective farms where sustaining the industry takes a backseat to profit-margins

oh and GM foods are not tested as to long term effects.

CptStern said:
the issue is forcing farmers to use their seeds ..which only have one geration lifespan ..as opposed to convential farming that sees seeds recyled over generations. It's an attempt at cornering the farming industry so that small family owned operations give way to multi-nat collective farms where sustaining the industry takes a backseat to profit-margins

oh and GM foods are not tested as to long term effects.

Yes but how aret hey forced by law, or by economics.

Well yeah, I doubt anyone would agree with the idea of forcing farmers to use them. No one's gonna grudge that. But it's not an actual problem with the GM foods themselves.

And while the testing isn't super-longterm, I have to wonder just what the worst case scenario healthwise could be? If you're absorbing slightly more fish protein than your normal diet because of your strawberries, is it really gonna kill you? I'd be more afraid of pesticides.

well by both really ..your iraq link illustrates the problem quite well

Grey Fox said:
Yeah but I don't understand why the farmers can't just not buy them and use their own seeds that they used fro ages. Or will they be forced like in Iraq(link ), or will they be forced by the economics, meaning that they will have to use them to stay competative.

The fact is farmers have in some cases been forced to use the seeds, whether through the economy or through more direct means. As the world's largest supplier of GM seeds and products, Mosanto can ratchet up the prices quite a lot. In order to keep production up, farmers have to invest in the seeds, ensuring their continual cooperation. The Iraqi link shows a slightly more disturbing situation.

Interesting Monsanto have not yet been brought to court for having a near-monopoly...

GM foods do offer a signifigant advantage to farmers who use them, irregardless of the consequences for consumers. This is what makes GM so attractive.
That aside there are the long-term scientific problems to consider...
But our actions fail to take into acount the reprecussions we have on the world. As Daniel Quinn once commented, we are merely exhibiting 'Taker' philosophy, not only eliminating our competitors *those who stop us from harvesting more resources* as well as the food that feeds them. Our actions have consequences all down the food chain... ;(

A corporation is probably not going to doom their long-term furture by causing a worldwide nutritional meltdown via faulty grains. So it stands to reason that they have responsibly self-regulated to some degree.
If people believe that to be inaccurate or insufficient, then it is up to the government to create the studies needed to fully understand the issue, as well as the imposed limits on the companies in the meantime and, if necessary, into the future.

Personally, I'd treat this the same way as surgery. Essential practices only, done with care and precision until the time in the distant future when it is proven safe and prevalent enough for cosmetic modifications to be okay.

I think that we will eventually have glow-in-the dark bananas in the future (with jellyfish genes, perhaps.) It's only a matter of time. We just need to start with the smallest steps first.

The main issue is "eww, it's yucky eating something totally manmade from natural components." But if you think about it, we've been eating all manner of synthetic chemicals without much trouble for decades now.
I suspect GE will follow the same route as any of the longer words on your ingredient labels. "Extracted red dye #32, sodium benzoate" They're not ideal, and maybe a handful of people will get ill. Maybe enough for a big news story like the latest "red wine does cause/doesn't cause heart attacks" report on the CNN ticker. Many people will stick to all-natural foods. But the vast majority of people will have no problems at all, and not really care.

Back