Getting my prop model exported/imported

R

Release

Since my torch made out of func_illusionary world brushes keeps deciding to randomly deform ingame, I decided I could make it as a prop model instead.

But I'm blind or something. Is there a tut for this? I read all the stickies here and I don't know how to export my model.. with all the needed hl2 elements - model itself, texture on the model in the right format (is indexed 256 colors right??), collision box for when you shoot at it so it can leave decals directly on the model, material type (metal, or wood, etc sounds when you hit it) simplified collision box for physics collision, different LOD models, and I don't know how to import it.

What I've done so far is, made the model and texture (texture is in indexed 256 colors, not sure if that's the right format though), and downloaded the 3ds max 9 smd exporter plugin. I already exported it and it said it worked but I'm sure I'm missing stuff. Don't I have to make other "parts" of the model like a simplified physics collision box, different LODs, etc? I found a tut at interlopers called "What it takes to get a custom weapon into HL2" but it seemed to skip some of these things, plus, I just want a basic non-moving prop.

torchclaygt6.jpg

torchtexwk4.jpg

Can someone direct me to a tut or help me get this thing ingame?

you already convert the .smd (export/import filetype) to .mdl (model files) ?

All I did was export one model, the visible textured model, to an .smd. But I'm pretty sure I need a detailed collision model for hitting/shooting it, a basic collision model for stuff bouncing into it, and different LODs of the model and whatnot, don't I? Or do I do that later? :\

Thanks. I've read through it and learned a little, but am still pretty lost :( It explains some things and says what you need to do but doesn't really say how to, like a tutorial would. There's a 3ds max exporting section one or two links away from that page I think, but the link is dead, it says "You must be a member to edit this page" or something when I just try and view the link o_O

I'm still browsing around different wiki pages, hopefully I can find out more

Hmm, I read the QC page and saw the example QC file:

Code:
$modelname props_foliage/tree_deciduous_01a.mdl
$body "Body" "tree_deciduous_01a_reference.smd"

$scale 1.0
$staticprop
$surfaceprop "wood_solid"
$upaxis Y

$sequence "idle" "tree_deciduous_01a_reference" fps 30

$lod 50
{
     replacemodel "tree_deciduous_01a_reference" "tree_deciduous_01a_lod1"
}

$collisionmodel "tree_deciduous_01a_physbox.smd"
{
    //Mass in kilograms
    $mass 350.0
    $concave
}

Tell me, would this work? I'm just guessing when I am replacing stuff in this:

Code:
$modelname props_dungeon/torch1.mdl
$body "Body" "torch1_ref.smd"

$scale 1.0
$staticprop
$surfaceprop "metal_solid"
$upaxis Y

$sequence "idle" "torch1_ref" fps 30

$collisionmodel "torch1_physbox.smd"
{
    //Mass in kilograms
    $mass 60.0
    $concave
}

OK, here are the things I'm unsure about:

The first line: $modelname props_dungeon/torch1.mdl

Would it be OK if I made my own prop type here, props_dungeon? or would I need to set something else up first?

This line: $surfaceprop "metal_solid"

It started out as "wood_solid". Is "metal_solid" valid?

This line: $sequence "idle" "torch1_ref" fps 30

I was told if you have a non-moving, static model, then it is better to change the fps 30 to fps 1, for optimization reasons or something. Is that right?

And this line: $collisionmodel "torch1_physbox.smd"

How do I make, and how do I export a physbox SMD. I do have a HL2 SMD exporter for 3ds max, but it only gives the options to export references, and sequence SMDs. From that example QC.... it looks like the sequence SMD is not even used... as the $sequence line still refers to the "reference" smd of the tree... that seems wrong.. Anyways, do I just export another reference SMD and name it differentl (_physbox) to have a physbox smd?

Also, how do I -make- the physbox? Do I just make a simplified version of my model with no materials on it or something? Also, I noticed that a model seems to have two "physboxes". One for being struck/shot and leaving decals on it, i.e. you can hit the very detailed chair model and leave a decal wherever you precisely hit it. But then there is the very simple collision box for the model, for calculating collisions with other models. Is the second one the _physbox smd?

you should probably do a lot more reading if all you've done is replace some names.

the props_dungeon is okay, but you'll need to make a props_dungeon folder.
no idea about metal_solid; look it up.
look up the fps thing, I'm sure it'll be there.

and for the rest try and find a detailed model making tutorial.

try using cannonsfodder it'll make things lots faster and easier...

look here: Click for my tutorial
-Download cannonsfodder
-go thru step 2 untill the qc file

then one's you started it up -> model compile and there you go :)

Back