Good documentaries?

The Race to Absolute Zero. BBC documentary on how scientists want to reach 0 degrees Kelvin or -276 degrees Celsius.

Holy shit, the dude who commentates it is the same guy who voiced all the UAC videos in Doom 3. This makes it way more epic to watch.

Any documentaries with David Attenborough in it.

Isn't he the greatest? Speaking of David Attenborough, this will ****ing blow your mind - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Private_Life_Of_Plants

You will literally flip out of your ****ing chair because you will not be able to believe some of this stuff.

The series utilises time-lapse sequences extensively in order to grant insights that would otherwise be almost impossible. Plants live on a different time scale, and even though their life is highly complex and often surprising, most of it is invisible to humans unless events that happen over months or even years are shown within seconds.
You will find that plants are actually just as intricately evolved as the animal kingdom.

6 part series.

This thread is so old I can't even remember what the heck I was talking about the last time I posted (layer of iridium? what?).

Anyways, I recommend The Devil and Daniel Johnston, even if you don't know who Daniel Johnston was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qtFPOxDMs4

Second recommendation for Exit Through the Gift Shop

Very entertaining

What we still don't know - are we real?

Just finished watching this. It's a documentary on google video that deals with the concept that the Universe is a simulation. It doesn't have any information you haven't heard before, if you're interested in theoretical physics or cosmology, however it is entertaining. Worth a watch.

On the down side, the video quality sucks.

The World at War - possibly the definitive WWII documentary series.

Seconding this, and Waltz with Bashir. WWII in HD is good too, but if you only watch one WWII documentary, make it The World at War.

I really enjoyed Empire of the Seas. It's about the British Navy and how they shaped the country.

The documentary "Restrepo" that Hokey posted a trailer of a couple posts back is absolutely phenomenal. It's on Netflix watch instantly too. It's about a platoon posted in a very dangerous remote valley in Afghanistan where they see firefights and action on a daily basis, one of the most dangerous posts in the military at present.

The doc is all real combat footage and it's impossible to look away until it's over. It really brings the modern war experience and traumas home, I've never seen anything like it.

The Dying Rooms
Man on Wire
The Cove
Who Killed the Electric Car?
The Bridge
Muslim Terror in Moscow
Earthlings
Bowling for Columbine

All must-sees and most available free online.

The Dying Rooms
Man on Wire
The Cove
Who Killed the Electric Car?
The Bridge
Muslim Terror in Moscow
Earthlings
Bowling for Columbine

All must-sees and most available free online.

Saw Earthlings that was pretty disturbing.

Back