Good Free Ripping Software?

MJ12

The Freeman
Reaction score
I need something that can rip CD's and Identify and name the album/tracks online. I used to have a good program that came with an MP3 player, but recently all I have is a trial of Nero, and I don't want to buy that. Anyone have any good suggestions?

Doesn't Windows Media Player do that?

Winamp too I think.

I used Winamp to rip my new Flashbulb CD to wavs and Goldwave to batch convert to MP3. All the metadata was there.

What Vegeta said.

Oh, and iTunes does it as well. Just don't forget to change the import settings from AAC to MP3.

For some reason my Media Player gets an error whenever I try to rip something. I hate media player in general.

Foobar2000 does it, and since I use Foobar as my music player, works for me. Even rips to FLAK.

I use WMP player too. Occasionally MediaMonkey by mistake which I used to use for playing my music until Spotify started supporting local files \o/

iTunes, Winamp and just about every other music program with features can do this.

iTunes is easiest, just make sure you configure it first since it defaults to AAC format as somebody mentioned.

You guys with your iTunes and Winamps. Bah! Music casuals!

Foobar2000 Initial Release: 2002
Winamp Initial Release: 1997

Who's the casual?

And yeah I don't know what release date has to do with how casual a program is either, but I have no idea how either software could be considered casual so I just took a shot in the dark.

I'm a niche hipster, so I use the Zune player. It's pretty and works well.

I could never use iTunes for music playing, I just need it to sync with my iPhone, but that's it. Mostly because it doesn't add your music to its library automatically, nor remove it when you delete or move files, leaving ghost tracks. That's just so awful. The Zune player and Windows Media Player do this though and it's very nice.

Winamp is ****ing hardcore, plugins are a great sign of manliness!

I can't stand Windows Media Player, it took me like 5 minutes to figure out how to play a ****ing folder. But it does rip CDs.

And yeah I don't know what release date has to do with how casual a program is either, but I have no idea how either software could be considered casual so I just took a shot in the dark.

Foobar is much more customizable, less bloated with stupid shit. It plays flac natively, which winamp didn't the last time I tried it. It has better library views, autotagging, and most importantly, a portable version. I have my whole music library, foobar2000 and all my playlists on a 2.5in external drive and can play my music anywhere without losing my custom UI or anything. Also, it looks way better aesthetically than winamp or iTunes, in my opinion.

TzNa7.jpg

Sexy beast, and totally customizable with the locations/sizes/tabs of any panel. And yeah, FOLDER STRUCTURE VIEW. **** I hate how no other player can sort it like this. Any CD with multiple artists gets ****ing broken up if you sort by artist, and if you sort by albums then a single artist's albums will be broken up in the list. Plus this way I can sort them into categories, like I have a Soundtracks folder and I dont ever need to find them in a cluster **** of other, "real" music. If I want to put my library on a massive shuffle, I can just select everything and then just deselect Soundtracks and play it without weird songs. God its so much better.

Yeah look how bloated this is, damn. If only Winamp had skins and moveable/sizeable panels! Oh wait.

5zpVL.jpg

Yeah man Foobar doesn't look bloated at all. I'm sure that giant spectrometer is so useful. And you totally want to see the album art and full metadata at all times.

Full screen mp3 playing is a joke. All I want are my controls and my playlist. Present that with a minimal skin and you've got a winner. Does foobar even have skins? Can foobar display everything I have displayed in my winamp screencap without being larger?

I won't mess with my current layout, but here is the result of simply resizing the window. Yes, you can get all of that, and only that if you want. Even without just resizing. As I said, the location, contents, and all that shit are fully customizable, can be repositioned, etc. All of the panels are optional and editable.

And by "bloat" I mean it comes with all those retarded radio stations and whatnot. Visual bloat is not what I meant.

wDLn6.png

I don't even need to go into how much worse of a 'skin' that picture is compared to mine, for the purpose of minimalistic controls/playlist.

And oh noes, winamp comes with some radio stations that I do not need to use. Shit.

That's like saying a program sucks because it has an option to install some toolbar that you can just uncheck in the installer.

I never said winamp sucked. I said it was for casuals. And that was a joke. The fact remains, Foobar is the best music player available, and everything you can find wrong with it is, in fact, editable to the point where you need to nitpick things in order to continue the debate, and at that point FOLDER STRUCTURE VIEW trumps all your nitpicks. Game, set, match. Krynn wins again.

Back