Gran Turismo 4 - nearest we can get to photorealism?

lans

Reaction score
Well me and a friend were having a debate on the game nearest to photo realism.

We both started off with Doom 3's and what nots, but in the end the answer was clear and simple - GT4. Afterall, GT3-A spec kinda set the benchmark before it.

What would you say? it is remarkable what polyphone has done with a old piece of hardware such as the ps2 to create this game. You'd never know it was a ps2 game - other than the AA issues, of course.

gran-turismo-4-20041207032348582.jpg

gran-turismo-4-20041207032351504.jpg

gran-turismo-4-20041207032353847.jpg

gran-turismo-4-20041207032815636.jpg

gran-turismo-4-20041105025215373.jpg

It looks good..no question about it..but how does it look in motion? I remember when the first Gran Turismo came...me and my friends would squint with our eyes during the replays and it looked just like a real race :D

StardogChampion said:
Well, it won't look as good as those screenshots.

You're right, the high res that makes it look like a tiny model will be blurred out on a TV - and it will look 'more real' :)

It is true that the high resolutions bring out more flaws in the geometry than will be apparent on television. It likely supports progressive scan, so if you have a HDTV you can probably play it at similar resolutions though.

GT4 is probably the most photo realistic game out there, although not necessarily the most technically impressive.

Looks great, but I won't buy a fourth GT game until it is online.

Imagine what the next GT game (not 4) will look like on the ps3. :O

Tr0n said:

I don't need to imagine, prepare yourself for the first look at GT:R5

Attachments

• probably like this.PNG
    probably like this.PNG
    15 KB · Views: 450
Murray_H said:
I don't need to imagine, prepare yourself for the first look at GT:R5
All I can say is...is just...WOW. :O

There must be a shitload of prerendering to get those car graphics down

yep, I used to fool people into thinking that the GT3 replays were miata commercials

Ennui said:
yep, I used to fool people into thinking that the GT3 replays were miata commercials

Yeah but we all know how that ended, 2 people dead and a whole lot of grief for the mayor!

Murray_H said:
Yeah but we all know how that ended, 2 people dead and a whole lot of grief for the mayor!
yeah that poor dude hates me now

Those screens look very....selective. I think it looks good, but it won't look at good in motion. I hate to play devils advocate (because GT4 will kick ass), but I can't help it.

Great lighting and reflection on the cars but you can see all the other obvious shortcuts they take. Trees=flat planes with textures slapped on that sort of thing.

But the lightning still rocks.

Actually trees are not flat-plane textures.

If I'm not wrong, they are using completely modelled 3D trees, and human spectators.

Although yeah - lighting on cars is phenomenal.

Amazing. Well, one thing's for sure, the closer we get to perfection, the harder it becomes to reach it.

Tr0n said:

Probably something like this (Sorry for the bad quality, they are from the GT4 Intro video).

gt4intro4cx.jpg

gt4intro11jt.jpg

gt4intro22co.jpg

Btw, new screenshots showing of the rain courses in GT4.

1104508637618o9uz.jpg

1104519075763o9ww.jpg

I've seen a few vids, and the game really does look nice in motion. Its not quite photo, but I'll be darned if it isn't getting close.

indeed it is Razor. I suddenly didn't care how GT4 looked and just started staring at that car.

Direwolf said:
I've seen a few vids, and the game really does look nice in motion. Its not quite photo, but I'll be darned if it isn't getting close.

Did you catch any noticable slowdown??

I'm really interested in the shortcuts they took in this game to make it playable and look as good as it does on the PS2.

thehunter1320 said:
but look how long it's taken and it's still not out yet...

Wrong, it's out in Japan. USA will get it somewhere around Q1 this year. Same with EU I think.

If you guys think that is near photo quality, I suggest an eye exam! ;)

Yes, the cars look good, but look at everything around them... low resolution textures, ugly looking filtering, low res skyboxes...

SidewinderX said:
If you guys think that is near photo quality, I suggest an eye exam! ;)

Yes, the cars look good, but look at everything around them... low resolution textures, ugly looking filtering, low res skyboxes...
What this man said :|

Loke said:
Probably something like this (Sorry for the bad quality, they are from the GT4 Intro video).

gt4intro4cx.jpg

gt4intro11jt.jpg

gt4intro22co.jpg
That my friends....is as close as you're gonna get to photo realism. :thumbs:

That ford gt4 is so hot...

That my friends....is as close as you're gonna get to photo realism.
You my friend, are wrong.
*Walks outside, takes a picture*
*Scans it onto his comp*
That my friend, is as close as we will get to photorealism.

Trust me, we will get more....ohh yes we will...

Minerel said:
You my friend, are wrong.
*Walks outside, takes a picture*
*Scans it onto his comp*
That my friend, is as close as we will get to photorealism.

Trust me, we will get more....ohh yes we will...
Damn you. :(

I meant for games!!!!Bah..

Hah you honestly think that, that is as close as photorealism we are going to get??? On a PS2???

When the PS3 or Xbox Next come out, near the end of their life you will see much grander things than this :)

They use tons of shortcuts/hacks probably cause the game isn't totally open-ended (you can't go anywhere, only on the track really, unlike HL2 to an extent)

So trust me, in the next few years we will get very close, everything will look very good but photorealism is not there :) Models look nice though.

I wouldn't appreciate some photorealism in FPS (realistic bodies would be creepy and all to me) but in reacing, bring on the photorealism!

May I remind you that the game comes with it's own photo software, where you can take pictures of your cars and add effects and print them.

It also supports 1080i-mode I heard. That is the first (AFAIK) PS2 game to do. One or two X-Box games supports that as well.

Once HL3 takes advantage of IBR(Image Based Rendering), then photorealism will really start happening.

I have a PS2...and I honestly can't see the game looking that good on that system. Or at least running well.

But what do I know, I haven't played it yet. We shall see...it looks great.

When is release date? January? I probably won't buy it right away, try renting it first.

Ingame it wont look nearly as good, those are the juiced up replay shots.

Plus, wait for 2006.. if you think thats real... just wait ;).

Baal said:
When is release date? January? I probably won't buy it right away, try renting it first.

Sometime around January or Mars I think. Hopefully this month. :)

Oh, please. :rolleyes:

RMachucaA said:

Plus, wait for 2006.. if you think thats real... just wait ;).

Replays are ingame. :LOL:

Gran Turismo 4 is supposed to be released over here around the middle/end of February.

(A replay is just GT4 running yours and the other cars through the game again in the exact same way, not actual video, if it was it would take gigs of space up.)

Back