Gran Turismo 4 - nearest we can get to photorealism?

The cars stick out too much in the crappy low resolution textures. It looks like all the devs did was take pictures of the sky, walls, floors, etc. and pasted them in the game. :| Meanwhile, it looks like the cars were modeled and textured properly. However, the cars are too shiny compared to the rest of the pictures.

actually it looks crap. yes the cars look good. its just the lack of decent driving games on the PC that make console driving games look good. the only ones to come out are console ports or simultaneous console releases with underdone graphics engines. its been ages since we saw a driving game with cutting edge graphics on the PC. and no underground is not cutting edge, its just a wet and shiny looking game.

Heard of GTR? That is one very beautiful racing game on the PC. Best car sound in a game ever.

Loke said:
Jesus, this guy is amazing. He drove through whole Nürburgring in 5:34.332. Watch the video, piss poor quality but what the hell.

http://s19.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2S8T2IYIU5OHN3POGU3XCD6SZW

Downloading it now...5.34 is fast.

'Ya know, the only road car in the world that can get round the Nurburgring in under 8 minutes is a Nissan Skyline. ;) ..Of course..not every car in the world has been tested on it as i'm sure a Ferrari Enzo could beat it, surely!.

Minerel said:
Once HL3 takes advantage of IBR(Image Based Rendering), then photorealism will really start happening.
Whats Image Based Rendering?

Links please...this sounds interesting.

some of the first gt4 pics posted honestly look like ass. I could poop and take a digi cam pic and it would look better. :p haha

Image Based Rendering requires more memory of the vid cards which is why it wasn't in HL2. It's like taking a 2d object and then having polygons made out of it by the computer.
It was in my Pc Gamer magazine(I think 2 issues ago, not sure it was at the end named Post-Life).
I could probably find it on the net, but I gtg.

Hmm... I hope so... Anyway, I think making one for the PC would be cool. just like NFSU...

Back