Gran Turismo HD Concept on the 24th

Loke

Tank
Reaction score
As some of you might know GT:HD was cancelled a few months ago, but Polyphony decided to release Gran Turismo HD Concept, for free, on the 24th this month for both the Japanese market as well as the US market. So once on the 24th you log onto the Playstation Store and can download the game from there.

"Gran Turismo HD Concept provides PS3 and automotive fans a glimpse into the future of Gran Turismo," states Kazunori Yamauchi, famed creator of the Gran Turismo franchise. "With the power of the PS3 technology, the world of Gran Turismo is refined by its full HD visual presentation and unique interactive experience, resulting in an even more realistic and true driving simulator."

Upon downloading Gran Turismo HD Concept, PS3 users have access to the Eiger Nordwand course and can compete in Time Trial races to collect and unlock new cars. Upon unlocking the initial 10 cars, the player has access to 10 more "Tuned Cars," as well as access to a new driving mode called "Drift Trial."

In the "Drift Trial" mode, the player can master the art of drifting and achieve ultimate control of their car. Furthermore, when connected to the PLAYSTATION(R)Network (PS Network), the player can upload their times and view the Top 10 rankings for each car and mode, as well as play and save replays online.

Featured Automobiles in Gran Turismo HD Concept (Year, Manufacturer, Model)

In order of appearance in game (available in stock and "tuned" versions):

• 1995 Suzuki Cappucino
  • 1989 Mazda Eunos Roadster
  • 2004 Honda Integra TYPE R
  • 1996 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV GSR
  • 2006 Infiniti G35 Coupe
  • 2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX GSR
  • 2005 Lotus Elise 111R
  • 1994 Nissan SKYLINE GT-R Vspec II
  • 1995 Toyota Celica GT-FOUR Rally Car
  • 2006 Ferrari 599

Additional Information About The Game Modes in Gran Turismo HD Concept In "Time Trial" mode, the player selects a car and must complete the Eiger Nordwand course within the target time indicated at the top of the screen. Each time the player beats the target time, a new car is unlocked and made available for selection. As stated, upon unlocking all of the cars, the player can access tuned cars, along with the option to race Eiger Nordwand in the opposite direction.

In "Drift Trial" mode, the player's drifting technique is tested, rather than their lap time. The player earns drift points based on their drift angles, racing lines, and speeds within evaluation zones located at various turns on the course. For each evaluation zone, the results are based on the number of flags and a numerical figure. The point total from all zones determines the player's drift points for the lap and is counted toward the rankings.

The following settings are available during gameplay: 1) Transmission -- the player can select either Manual or Automatic. 2) Stability Management (SM) -- the player can turn this ON or OFF during gameplay. ASM is designed to prevent vehicle skidding by controlling each of the four wheel brakes independently. 3) Traction Control (TC) Level -- the player can set the TCS level, which senses drive-wheel slip and prevents wheel spin. 4) Tires -- the player can select front and rear tires from nine types of brands.

Source.

Two gameplay movies can be downloaded in the following links.

Gameplay movie 1
Gameplay movie 2

I hope they'll give us this too!

Never liked Gran Turismo, not really interested (Yes, I did have to come into this thread and post that so screw you :p)

Awww crap!! I knew i'd have just one weakness when it came to the PS3 and this is it (i bought a PS2 about a year ago just for the GT series).....and i've gotta say that this looks pretty damn awesome.

Must.......resist..urge...to buy....PS3.

test-drive-unlimited-8.jpg

Test Drive Unlimited is probably just as good. And is for PC and 360. *runis your fun*

Looks great, but I don't like driving games :D

edit: nobody runis my fun!

No, Test Drive is an arcade racer, Gran Turismo is pure realism (except for car damage, which I never understood)

Those videos just look amazing, nice to finally see a PS3 title worth getting, my only complaint is the sounds are a bit shit

Ah. Fair enough. I never knew Gran Turismo was realistic. But I know why there is no damage model, they're real cars. Car companies don't like seeing their cars smashed up.

Ah. Fair enough. I never knew Gran Turismo was realistic.
its not.
But I know why there is no damage model, they're real cars. Car companies don't like seeing their cars smashed up.
yeah right.. they just dont want to spend the time making damage models when they could be adding 150 more nissan skyline variants so they can claim the game has 5943150 cars.

Ye, this game LOOKS good. But the idea of downloading a game then having a PAY for tracks and cars won't work imo. The hardcore fans will follow, everyone else will just download the free game. Play it a bit and get bored.

yeah right.. they just dont want to spend the time making damage models when they could be adding 150 more nissan skyline variants so they can claim the game has 5943150 cars.

So true, they must have 20 different VW Golfs in GT4, it's really stupid

Forza is better btw kthxbai

You guys should see the damage model in Live For Speed.

Download the demo and try it out. It's totally dynamic and kinda fun just ramming into walls.

Yeah its a really nice effect, but only the front and rear can get damaged i seem to remember? Otoh racing car bodywork often shatters rather than crumpling, and i think i read somewhere that its sometimes designed to fall off instead of breaking in minor collisions.

Ye, this game LOOKS good. But the idea of downloading a game then having a PAY for tracks and cars won't work imo. The hardcore fans will follow, everyone else will just download the free game. Play it a bit and get bored.

Hm... since they scrapped the game, wouldn't the dev team be busy on working on a true next-gen GT (kinda scary isn't it, since this is only a port of the GT4...) rather than making cars / tracks for what is essentially a free demo to a canned game?

It's out now, go download you sons of bitches.

Whoever thought of buying in the first place deserves to be shot...then dragged through some thorn bushes and shot again.

its not.

No, actually..it's because they do have so many car makers ingame that they don't have car damage because if 1 company declines them damaging their cars ingame, they can't add damage to any make of car.

GT is one of the most realistic driving game ever to come out.

Its a driving simulator. Not an arcade racer. Name a more realalistic simulator and i'll eat my pants. I certanly havent played one thats better. I dont see what people are wingeing about.

Its a driving simulator. Not an arcade racer. Name a more realalistic simulator and i'll eat my pants. I certanly havent played one thats better. I dont see what people are wingeing about.

SimBin made a game called GTR FIA Racing a long time ago, and I thought it was awesome. Since then they've made GTR2, GT Legends, and RACE and they're all really great. I wouldn't say they're better or more realistic than Gran Turismo, but you gotta try some of the demos. The games are more about racing & tuning cars than buying & upgrading them. Also, the sounds for these games blow Gran Turismos out of the water, they're amazing.

I got bored of Gran Turismo after being extremely disappointed with GT4. Nothing about GT HD interests me, I do hope the next one will be different.

I'm not a big GT fan, but I'd never say no to free stuff. When I get a PS3 downloading this demo will be one of the first things I do.

I just Downloaded it, amazing,and a nice gift for PS3s owners that want more games, exellent...

No, actually..it's because they do have so many car makers ingame that they don't have car damage because if 1 company declines them damaging their cars ingame, they can't add damage to any make of car.
If a company said that i would decline them the free advertisment and not put their cars in the game rather than remove a feature that is quite important to gameplay in a racing game. Why would a company say that anyway.. are they run by people with the fragile minds of 4 year old children "ohs noes teh car has a dent in the game, nobody will buy our cars now". We will never know for sure either way but i dont see it.
Naudian said:
SimBin made a game called GTR FIA Racing a long time ago, and I thought it was awesome. Since then they've made GTR2, GT Legends, and RACE and they're all really great. I wouldn't say they're better or more realistic than Gran Turismo.
I would, there is a lot wrong with gt (driving physics and non existant ai for starters). It is a good game but not a sim and there are at least 10 modern sims on the pc that piss on gran turismo: gtr, gtl, gtr2, race, rfactor, racer, live for speed, netkar pro, richard burns rally, drivers republic (in private beta), and others probably. Race is on steam btw. But apparently its not as good as the other simbin/blimey games. Ill post up a video of gtr2 for all the gran turismo kiddies who think its so 1337 in a while. :p

Shouldn't they be worried about the fact that their cars probably aren't as good as a better car in the game? I mean it doesn't take a genius to understand that ANY car can get dented or crashed, that's extremely obvious and it's no different for ANY other car, I would think the fact that it isn't the fastest/most agile/best car in the game would be more important.

I apologize for just interjecting in the thread without reading but this struck me as not making sense.

Exactly it doesnt make sense. But they wont care much about performance because normally lower performance = lower price, and the cars specs are probably accurate enough so they cant complain.
Anyway heres the video.. its a lot brighter than it should be :hmph: URL="http://video.tinypic.com/player.php?v=4hhhgmd"]part 1 (helmet cam)[/URL] part 2 (tv cam)

Back