Greed: Black Borders - Budget RPG / Shooter

MRG

Reaction score
Greetings all,

I am bored. Just thought you all should know that. I spend entirely too much time sitting in front of my damn PC playing these damn video games, that I'm starting to get bored doing so. Oh sure I do the odd bit of actual work on it, but for the most part, it's nothing more than an expensive & always-out-of-date toy. Just don't tell my wife I said that, as I don't want her to know how right she is when SHE tells me that.

Anyways..

Crap, now what was I talking about again? Oh yes. Greed.

From time to time, I enjoy playing a good mindless game. One that you can hop in & play for a bit & then just as quickly hop back out of when you realize just how mindless a game it really is or you realize how much time you just spent playing the game. Well I just found another such game & it is called:

52GREED.jpg

Greed: Black Borders is very much like the game Space Siege that was released about a year ago, with one exception. Greed is much more fun to play, if as mindless. In Greed, you begin by choosing 1 of 3 classes to play as whick are:

1) Long Range Plasma - Low HP & Armor - Massive damage
plasmay.png

2) Close Range Pyro - High HP & Strong Armor - Low, but continuous damage
pyrof.png

3) Heavy Marine Gunner - Medium HP & Armor - Medium range & damage
marinec.png

Quoted from Steam:

In the futuristic universe of GREED, the discovery of new interstellar travel possibilities has led to a new age of colonialization. The five largest colonial powers are entangled in a full-scale war over a new element called Ikarium, the recently discovered rare source of nearly unlimited energy. As a former member of an elite military unit, you will fight a battle for your survival not knowing that your actions will lead the fate of all mankind into dramatic consequences…

* Three entirely different character classes to choose from
* A huge variety of different levels in three unique settings, each playable on 3 difficulties, inhabited by fierce and deadly creatures & screen-filling end bosses
* Upgradeable skills in three categories per character class – the simultaneous use of these categories causes thrilling skill combinations
* Upgradeable character attributes with direct game play effect
* Hundreds of items to collect that upgrade weapons and amour
* Online and local cooperative multiplayer mode for up to three players

Steam Page:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/46400

Gameplay trailer:
http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/greed-black-border-gameplay-trailer

While I have only played the game for about 5 hours total so far, which includes playing all three classes, I do have to admit that each class is unique enough to make them worth while to use. If I had to choose, I would say that I enjoyed the Pyro the best, if only because of the visuals. His flame thrower does not do the most damage, but it sure does look fantastic for such a budget game. I also liked how my Pyro's armor slightly glowed red from using the flame thrower against close ranged enemies.

I felt the games audio was ok, though it seems to be getting alot of positive feedback from the comminity, to the point where you can download the entire soundtrack for free from the games Steam page. The limited spoken voice acting is decent as well. While Greed is at it's base a budget title game, it's visuals are fantastic for the size of the game. With glowing lights & pulsing laser beam force fields to sparks as your rounds hit objects.

Marine Screenshot
marinel.jpg

Pyro Screenshot
pyroi.jpg

Plasma Screenshot
plasma.png

-MRG

That actually doesn't look too shabby at all.
I think I'll check it out.

This reminds me of Shadowgrounds and its sequel. How is the online co-op? Any fun?

Oh boy, this isn't something you see every day.

free.png

DO WANT!!!!

but no money :(

I'll trade you the money needed in exchange for your PC. Sounds fair, no?:LOL:

Shame there's no demo of Black Greed, otherwise I might have bought it.

Not into buying indie games without some form of trial these days.

I'd have liked to have been in the design meeting for the box art...

"Hey guys, I've got this great idea! What if the Marine's minigun was actually 3 miniguns? How awesome would that be?"

Doesn't look like my sort of game though.

Back