Grenades!!!

Spoonoop

Reaction score
I don't know how different TF2 will be compared to TFC, but I hope grenades are used differently. Grenades have got to be the number one killing device in TFC, especially on smaller maps like 2fort. You can cook them to the point of explosion, then throw them in the face of your enemies. It's really easy to do. In TFC you can throw grenades without changing weapons. So you never know when someone is cooking a grenade or about to throw one. In TF2 I hope you have to at least change weapons so you can tell when one is about to be thrown. I'm not complaining, just bringing up discussion. I admit that I abuse the hell out of grenades in TFC :cheese: . Sometimes it's the only way I can get a kill :thumbs:

Thoughts?

I actually never got used to the grenade system in TFC. It always seemed strange to me.

If they change the system, I won't buy it D:. The grenade system makes TFC work.

Wow, I'm shocked to hear some of you never used grenades or don't know how in TFC. All you do is press "F" or "G" then boom!

What's so difficult about the TFC grenade system ?

Hold the button = prime the grenade
Release the button = throw the grenade

Sure, there is no hand-throwing-nade animation (there is no weapon slot for grenades, anyway), but the awesomeness is that you don't have to un and re-equip your weapon when you're throwing nades, not to mention the element of surprise for your opponent.

Also, the hand-held concing is a great skill.

bind "MOUSE2" "+gren2"
bind "MOUSE3" "+gren1"

ftw !

Grenade priming was the most important skill of the whole game. Especially when you're strafing an engie and you hear the beep beep as he primes a grenade. Thats when you run in close to get him to hold the grenade a bit longer and then veer away so that he wastes his EMP on himself. Or when you're a medic fighting a soldier, those frag grenades are pretty much your only hope. It's the only game that fluidly involves grenades into regular combat.

im curisous as to if they will allow the nades to occupy a slot in ur weapon HUD, so u cant just run with ur gun and throw it, i wouldnt be suprised if they make ur select them and then it shows ur character with it in his hand.

I actually hope it stays the way it is, I've gotten pretty godlike with grenades(ask my friends who fought me close ranged before.)

My friends say I'm a grenade maniac. :p

You seriously cannot have TFC without the grenade system exactly how it is now. I'm going to hope against hope that grenades will not be a selectable weapon as they are in HLDM and CS.

As people have said, it's vital to all the classes that grenades are used in conjunction with other weapons. Hand-holding concs, using them in combat with your other weapons...the grenade and selectable weapons must work in combination.
I use grenades for every class (of course), but since my main is soldier, I use grenades in combination with the RPG like mad. You're crippled otherwise, seriously. The scissor technique, one of the soldier's best moves, would be rendered useless if you had to switch from grenades to RPG, rather than firing one out right after the other. You couldn't prime the grenade either; you'd have to throw it right out and just hope that your enemy would stupidly stumble into it. There's almost never a moment when I'm playing soldier that I DON'T have a grenade primed.

And as for not knowing when the enemy's about to throw a grenade...you learn to anticipate it after awhile. There are certain visual clues that people do that let you know when they're about to throw a grenade. It usually involves a stunted or backwards movement, a slight break in firing, trying to circle you...watch your enemies sometime. You'll learn what to pick up on, and then it's like, "Oh...he's about to toss." For me it's automatic; I can always tell when someone's about to throw without really being concious of what they're doing. Second nature now.

And if that doesn't work for you, just assume that everyone's always going to throw a grenade at all times. :p

Indeed, to hell with realism. I want to fire my shottie and throw nades simultanuously.

I like how one moment darkside is freaking out that TF2 won't be brotherhood in arms, which was such a ridiculous departure from TF, and then he's saying he hopes they don't change the grenade mechanic one iota from TFC
erm

Well hey, if I can't have it the original way it was going to be, no sense in changing it from what it was, right? I can bitch 'til my face turns blue but TF2's not going to be BoA; it won't change anything. So what am I gonna do, y'know?

Back