Guide:Buying a video card

richpull

Reaction score
Technology Review
In a lot of the various threads all around this Hardware board there are people with a lot of questions regarding buying a video card so they can run Hl2 well, along with all the other DX9 games that are coming up. My advice about getting a card for DX9 is this: ATI, not Nvidia. The nv3x code path which Nvidia hardware utilizes provides poor performance for high range dynamic rendering and pixel shaders. (DX9 effects). ATI uses the proprietary dx9 code path and its very effective. ATI cards are getting between 36-45 fps for 9600pro and 9800pro cards, respectively. Wheras, Nvidia is getting much lower performance, between 9-22 for the 5600ultra and 5900ultra. Running in dx8.1 certainly helps nvidia in comparison to ATI, but that competition isn't about top performance. The stats I listed above are about performance. If det50, nvidias drivers come out soon and a retest is done, nvidia may close the gap, but i couldn't imagine an updated driver doubling or tripling performance.

Buyers Guide
When buying a card, either go for a manufacturer built product .i.e
http://www.zdnet.co.uk/i/z/rv/2002/08/ati-radeon-9700-box.gif
or go for a product with identical specs from a third party manufacturer.
The most frequent problem with shady third-parties is that they label something as a "9700 pro" and they run with different clock speeds. Before deciding to purchase check the spec's. For example, the Radeon 9700 pro runs, by manufactuer's specifications at 325Mhz CPU and 310Mhz or "620 Mhz ddr" (both identical). Some third- parties will run lower. Here is an example http://www.allstarshop.com/shop/product.asp?pid=6227&sid=593F673DMSGG9PUBVRHAU7XRNAN11WU0
That card runs at a CPU speed of 275mhz, not 310. Big performance hit. www.newegg.com gets new shipments of 3rd party ati video cards frequently, unfortunately right now they are kinda expensive.
This is the card i got, its made by Powercolor and has an inordinately homosexual man on the cover. Regardless of that, it runs at ATi factory "pro"specs. My advice is to install the card and hide the box from your friends. Also, https://us.etrade.com/e/t/invest/quotesresearch
go here and check the 1 year graph on ATYT, thats ATI's stock ticker symbol. Jesus Christ i could have made a lot of money if i applied what i know about ATI.

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=PC-R9700PR&c=pw
This is the card i got, its made by Powercolor and has an inordinately homosexual man on the cover. Regardless of that, it runs at ATi factory "pro"specs. My advice is to install the card and hide the box from your friends.

I forgot to post this link in my post!

Good post ;)

But, I believe the reason the card is clocked lower is that it is an OEM, no because it is from a 3rd party Manufacturer.
ATI lets their OEM parts be clocked slower than spec while Nvidia lets their non Ultra parts be clocked slower (Both Retail and OEM I believe).

It's called GPU or core, not CPU (not that Ive seen atleast) and saying CPU might confuse ppl.

Apart from that, good job, alot could be added tho... for example:
1. 128 or 256 mb RAM?
2. Overclocking the gfx
3. What all names mean (Pro / non pro, what the difference betweem 9600 and 9800 is, what MX is, how much crap FX 5200 is, etc)
4. What you might want to look for on your motherboard before buying (maybe the graphics should be the least of your concern)

I strongly opposed over clocking unless you require it for a specific application. If you are running a video game at 24fps and its not very smooth, overclock it to bump up close to 30fps. Dont overclock your 2.8ghz with 800mhz fsb so that windows boots up 1/3 of a second faster, it can quite possibly decrease the life of your hardware.

Originally posted by richpull
I strongly opposed over clocking unless you require it for a specific application. If you are running a video game at 24fps and its not very smooth, overclock it to bump up close to 30fps. Dont overclock your 2.8ghz with 800mhz fsb so that windows boots up 1/3 of a second faster, it can quite possibly decrease the life of your hardware.

An OCer doesnt OC to get mor FPS in a game, they OC just to OC, get a bigger e penis:D

And they upgrade too often to care about life time of their CPU/GPU.

Great post, but when you were comparing a 3rd party manufacturer's card to ATI's, you linked to a 9700np, not a 9700 pro

Does anyone else find it funny that peoples computers are decked out to look like mitsubishi eclipses and honda civic type-R's? Whats the deal with neon blue lights, chrome fans, windows, and special cooling systems.

chrome fans= chrome rims
windows= windows
special cooling systems= nos
overclocking= engine tuning
chrome fans also= exhaust systems

Originally posted by richpull
Does anyone else find it funny that peoples computers are decked out to look like mitsubishi eclipses and honda civic type-R's? Whats the deal with neon blue lights, chrome fans, windows, and special cooling systems.

chrome fans= chrome rims
windows= windows
special cooling systems= nos
overclocking= engine tuning
chrome fans also= exhaust systems

Also for bigger e penis.

I've got all that stuff but i dont have it to show off, i just think it looks cool.

LOL, why do people give a flying shiz what your computer looks like, the only thing that really matters is what is coming out of your monitors and speakers, i guess it could be argued that a nice keyboard and mouse or joystick is important too.

I have the coolest looking computer anywhere, its got an understated black antec case with altec lansing 5.1 speakers, 2 19 inch monitors, a microsoft keyboard and laser mouse, with a motorola cable modem, linksys router, and a hp 5550 printer. I am kind of guilty because i slapped on a quiksilver sticker that i got with a pair of pants i bought. Sorry.

Modding your computer out is good when you have nothing else to look at because HL2 hasn't been released yet.

Back