Guide: Simplest Way to Make a Half-Life Deathmatch:Source Dedicated Server

cpt. obvious

Reaction score
This is the simplest and easiest way to set up a dedicated server for Half-Life Deathmatch:Source.

Note: You Must Own Half-Life Source/Half Life Deathmatch:Source to do this.

1. Download Source Dedicated Server - If you do not already have this on steam, go and download it. It is free and is in the tools section of your main steam window.

2. Go and download GCFScape - Download just the installer here.

3. Extract the GCFs - Extract all the files from the GCF files half-life source.gcf and half life deathmatch source.gcf, which are located here: C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/
Extract these files into the following folder: C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/YOURUSERNAME/source dedicated server/

Note: If you have a 64 bit operating system like I do, then "Program Files" will be "Program Files (x86)" because Steam is a 32 bit application.

4. Launch Your Server: Go to your steam main window and go to the tools section. Click on Source Dedicated Server, which you should of installed earlier, and wait for it to load. Select under the "game" menu "HALF-LIFE: Deathmatch". Then choose your map and other server options and, finally, launch your server!

It's that simple!

Any questions just reply to this topic.

so will this allow you to create a server that will be available to everyone on the internet to play on Half-Life 2:Deathmatch?

No, this is for Half-Life Deathmatch Source. The Source Dedicated Server Tool already supports Half-Life 2 Deathmatch.

Thank you captain obvious.

Ha, oh man what a great excuse to say that.

Not working anymore

I can't found my Source multiplayer dedicated server.
So I got myself a HLDSUPDATETOOL.
And so, I downloaded CSS.
Then, I done all those things.
I placed my half life source and half life deathmatch source files in D:\SRCDS\orangebox.
However, when I select the game, and start, it gives me 2 errors.
Here are the errors:

The procedure entry point GetCVarIF could not be located in the dynamic link library vstdlib.dll.

The procedure entry point Q_strncasecmp could not be located in the dynamic link library vstdlib.dll.

Help?

Back