Half life 2: 2 plot questions.

Kleiner calls it "your old suit". I assume he upgraded it.

I thought he was being nostalgic. Like someone might say "Oh, your ol' crowbar" when it's probably the third you've gone through. Or how Barney actually said "You left this at Black Mesa". I doubt you should take him seriously.

I think the G-man works on behalf of the greatest enemy of the Combine. The mission was to put a great bulk of the combine empire on earth so that the combines enemy could win from the remaining combine forces.
First he uses Gordon to kill Nihilanth, which causes the portal storms. Then the combine invaded Earth.
Then the g-man contacts the resistance about Gordon. He acts like the good guy but actually has a hidden agenda. With Gordon and the help of the resistance, the combine portal could be closed. The g-man than knew that the combine would open a superportal. In this phase there was no need for Gordon anymore but the Vorts thought otherwise (or knew the g-mans real intention). They freed Gordon from the G-man and something happened that the g-man did not forsee. Gordon and the resistance actually close the superportal, leaving the remaining combine stranded on Earth.
The G-man does not give up, he uses the Borealis to open yet another portal to let the combine invade earth again and making his plans succeed.

Then he uses Shephard on the borealis to kill Gordon… Ok, im trippin now.

And yes, I am high.

I thought he was being nostalgic. Like someone might say "Oh, your ol' crowbar" when it's probably the third you've gone through. Or how Barney actually said "You left this at Black Mesa". I doubt you should take him seriously.

Yeah, but I like to think it's his old suit because the Gman allowed you to keep the Mk.4, and he wouldn't take it away off-screen, because that would be lame.

"And for the suit, I think you've earned it."
The G-Man isn't saying you would keep it on. I guess it was stored in some place, just before Gordon was placed in stasis. Already given to Kleiner perhaps(although I think that's highly unlikely).

"Miscount detected"
As for the question "why aren't they surprised Gordon hasn't aged?": Well, Eli was. Barney probably noticed but just didn't mention it and Kleiner is too harebrained for the most part to notice such details.
The only thing Kleiner said that could be based on the fact that Gordon hasn't aged is about the HEV: "It still fits you like a glove." But I think you are right and Kleiner is just too busy with more important stuff than Gordon's looks or age.

EDIT:
"It still fits you like a glove."
Not really something you would say when someone puts on a new suit, is it?

Remember in episode 2 when Gman leans over Alyx and tells her to tell Eli to prepare for unforseen consequences? And Alyx does not seem to realise that Gman told her to do so but she does any way. Well, it could be that Gman did the same to Kleiner, Barney and possibly Alyx.

No, the HEV suit in Half-Life 2 is a new one. It's Mark V rather than the Mark IV in Half-Life

As a sidenote, Kleiner was involved in testing the Mk.5 prototype around the time of the RC. It's not like he pulled the suit/knowledge out of nowhere.

As a sidenote, Kleiner was involved in testing the Mk.5 prototype around the time of the RC. It's not like he pulled the suit/knowledge out of nowhere.

Source?

Manual for HL1, PS2 version only I think (might have been in the Decay section)

I don't think Kleiner ever involved in the creation process of the HEV V (during the Black Mesa era). There is part of the Hazard Course Schedule (from the PlayStation 2 version) showing few interesting stuff.

Subject: Gina Cross
Date: May 15 (the day before the Black Mesa incident)
Instructor: Keller (Richard)
Description: HEV MK. 5 Prototype Testing

Kleiner probably came up with a new design (probably nothing to do with Gina's version) after the events of Half-Life.

I never said he did...

That part of my reply wasn't directed to you, but to people assuming the Gman pulled it all out his ass.

It was Cross and Keller that were testing the Mark V by the way, not Kleiner.

That part of my reply wasn't directed to you, but to people assuming the Gman pulled it all out his ass.

What? But I thought everything was in the Gman's ass! :|

Well I'm new to Half-Life and I have a few questions about it since I didn't play the first one.

I know this has probably been asked but I'll alter it a bit.

1. What are the theories about who/what the Gman is and where he came from?

2. Why is he called the Gman? How did his name come to be?

3. Is this "stasis" thing that your calling like the slow teleport that Gordon and Alyx were on that took them a week to teleport from Nova Prospekt to Kleiner's lab? Could that explain how Gordon got from HL1 to HL2 without changing "one iota"?

4. Are the enemies you face such as the Striders and Dropships mind controlled aliens from Xen? (I think that's what it is called)

5. What did Earth surrender to? (referring to the newspaper article in Black Mesa East) Were they overrun by aliens from HL1? Is that how the Combine Has it's power? Is that why Earth is like how it is in HL2?

6. Was Earth normal before the teleport opened in HL1?

7. Are the real leaders to Humanity's destruction those flying green obese mind controlling telekinesis worm things?

Just asking to confirm a few things, sorry if I sound like such a n00b.

Well I'm new to Half-Life and I have a few questions about it since I didn't play the first one.

Welcome to Halflife2.net, you seem normal.
My first suggestion would be to play Half-Life. It really is still a brilliant game. The storyline is so unbelievable, you won't be able to put it down. Plus it will explain a lot of what happened to you in Half-Life 2.

May I ask what games you have played?

I know this has probably been asked but I'll alter it a bit.

Remember, you can always use the search facility at the top of the forum page.

1. What are the theories about who/what the Gman is and where he came from?

Neither of those questions have yet been answered, although Episode Two revealed somewhat more about the nature of his relationship with other people. 'Theories' of the Gman are discouraged on this board, simply for the reason that the vast majority of them are moronic.

It was his model name in the original Half-Life. Technically it's G-man, meaning Government Man. But this isn't related to the plot at all. Valve simply thought it was a good name for the model at the time.

3. Is this "stasis" thing that your calling like the slow teleport that Gordon and Alyx were on that took them a week to teleport from Nova Prospekt to Kleiner's lab? Could that explain how Gordon got from HL1 to HL2 without changing "one iota"?

No. The Gman, who you see at the beginning, kept you in this "stasis" thing himself. It wasn't an accident like the slow teleport, and we believe he has stuck you in a seperate dimension somewhere where time doesn't pass. So he can just put you in and pluck you out whenever.

4. Are the enemies you face such as the Striders and Dropships mind controlled aliens from Xen? (I think that's what it is called)

No. They are part of the Combine army. The creatures from Xen are the headcrabs and barnacles. We believe they came from another world beyond Xen, in perhaps another dimension. Certainly Xen wasn't their homeworld. They were enslaved by the Combine and fled to Xen. The Combine are now attacking us. If you want more detail, just ask.

5. What did Earth surrender to? (referring to the newspaper article in Black Mesa East) Were they overrun by aliens from HL1? Is that how the Combine Has it's power? Is that why Earth is like how it is in HL2?

As before, it was the Combine, who you are surrendering to.

Quick storyline: the aliens from HL1 came to Earth through the resonance cascade (which you managed to cause by accident... or not by accident...). They were in Xen, the last retreat after escaping from the Combine, and we basically with their backs to the wall. Fortunately the Combine couldn't get to them. But when the resonance cascade opened a huge rift to Xen, they used it to get here (well, Earth). We closed that link in Half-Life 1 and killed the dude controlling all the aliens, freeing the Vortigaunts. We were then hit by Portal Storms (which someone described as "putting us on the Combine's radar"), so the Combine invaded. We surrendered in seven hours because we were being so badly beaten.

So yes, it answers the other questions there as well.

Yes.

7. Are the real leaders to Humanity's destruction those flying green obese mind controlling telekinesis worm things?

Sorry...? If you mean the Nihilanth, he was the reason for the original invasion of the Xenian army, but not why we're under the power of the Combine. That's our own fault.

Edit: Oh wait, you meant the advisors. Yes.

Just asking to confirm a few things, sorry if I sound like such a n00b.

It's ok. You're a newbie, it's all good. :D

Combine has taken over countless planets over galaxies. When they come across a worthy creature, lets say, a strider, they take it.
It probably went like;
The Combine finds a planet that inhabits striders, likes their potental and captures them all. They forcefully modify them with machines, making them into half machine, half organic creatures, and then adds them to their army reserves. This is how combine creates their armies. The real faces behind the combine, the ones who control all this, are the advisors (the big fat green things). Remember the Combine now also synths humans, as the Overwatch. They use humans against humans, so they won't have to bring armies from the other side of the galaxy or something.
The Combine. They came en-masse while the Earth was weak from the portal storms (randomly opening portals which teleport in random animal-like creatures from Xen, such as headcrabs). They didnt use the shitty modified humans you see, no (they didnt have any, ofcourse, having just stepped on Earth), they used war machines, bombs, stuff we have never seen and probably will never see, to take over the Earth. Earth surrendered after seven hours of resisting. The combine packed people together in the big cities (most of them were already there, to protect themselves from Xenian wildlife) and started to systematicly assimilate them. They drugged them, kidnapped them, oppressed them, all for the final point of making them a part of their Universal Union. Synthed humans are used as tactical soldiers, and the less fortunate ones, as stalkers.
Yes, then the teleports opened, bringing in random creatures (including Vortigaunts) from Xen. After Gordon closed these portals with a satelite, Nihilanth (ask about this later) kept sending in organized armies with his own power to create portals. Gordon killed him, yes, but it caused portal storms to appear around the world, and possibly allowed Combine to come trough.
Just added a bit of detailing over Druckles.
PS: Hoho, I said "teleports."

theories about who/what the Gman is and where he came from?
Many and varied. He's generally thought to be an alien taking a human guise but his intentions are debated, a lot. Some think he's a mercenary, others that he works for some interdimentional organisation or that he just works for himself. We really don't have a clue.

G-man is a slang term meaning a government agent. He is called that simply because of his appearance, a stern, straight man in a sharp blue suit carrying a briefcase. Valve are the ones who came up with the name. It's the name of the model and all the files about him are called gman. Gman is not his name, it is just a reference to the fact that he looks like a g-man.

Some people think they're connected, but I don't think they're the same thing, even if the end result is similar.

The Combine's forces have nothing to do with Xen. They are alien creatures that have been assimilated into and altered by the Combine's forces, much like what the Combine are currently doing to humanity.

A while after the events of Half-Life 1 the Combine invaded the Earth by teleporting its vast armies (Which were made up of more that just what we've seen in the HL2 games) right on top of us, taking the world completly by suprise. The Combine's forces were more powerful, more organised and had the element of suprise. After 7 hours of hopeless fighting Dr Breen surrendered on behalf of the Earth, which is how he secured his seat as administrator. The Combine then built the dynistopia you see in HL2.

Yes.

They are the Combine advisors, Breen's bosses. They are generally thought to be the original species behind the Combine and the leaders of the Combine.

Thanks guys for answering my questions, I think that cleared up most of what I didn't understand and I can see where Half-Life is coming from clearly now.

I have mainly been a console owner as it has always been expensive for me to buy a descent gaming computer and I couldn't be bothered finding all the parts and what not, so I haven't been able to play some of the great titles out there. I have stuck to the Xbox tradition and now own both the original and the 360. I'm a huge Sci-Fi fan, so it would be natural for me to love Halo. That being said, I do enjoy other games, hence why I went and got the Orange Box.

Half-Life 2 was amazingly good, I enjoyed it so much I couldn't put it down, I had to play through all the episodes and everything. But since I finished the three games, I didn't quite understand everything, hence why I came here. I can now safely say my two favourite games of all time are Half-Life 2 and Halo: CE. Because they were both fun, had an engaging story and were sci-fi.

Already from the kindness of the users here, I can tell this a less flaming place than Bnet.

Games I've played and I enjoy are:

Halo Series
Orange Box
Gears Of War
Mass Effect

Games I want to play:

Crysis
Half-Life 1
Halo Wars
Gears Of War 2
Half-Life 2 Episode Three

Now I can wonder around the forums with a bit more understanding thanks.

Thanks guys for answering my questions, I think that cleared up most of what I didn't understand and I can see where Half-Life is coming from clearly now.

I have mainly been a console owner as it has always been expensive for me to buy a descent gaming computer and I couldn't be bothered finding all the parts and what not, so I haven't been able to play some of the great titles out there. I have stuck to the Xbox tradition and now own both the original and the 360. I'm a huge Sci-Fi fan, so it would be natural for me to love Halo. That being said, I do enjoy other games, hence why I went and got the Orange Box.

Half-Life 2 was amazingly good, I enjoyed it so much I couldn't put it down, I had to play through all the episodes and everything. But since I finished the three games, I didn't quite understand everything, hence why I came here. I can now safely say my two favourite games of all time are Half-Life 2 and Halo: CE. Because they were both fun, had an engaging story and were sci-fi.

Already from the kindness of the users here, I can tell this a less flaming place than Bnet.

Games I've played and I enjoy are:

Halo Series
Orange Box
Gears Of War
Mass Effect

Games I want to play:

Crysis
Half-Life 1
Halo Wars
Gears Of War 2
Half-Life 2 Episode Three

Now I can wonder around the forums with a bit more understanding thanks.

Hey! Thanks for the info!

By the way, what is you first, last, and middle name?

Also, you Soc Security number is a must to be accepted among this forum.

Also, we must know your address, your pet kitty, your fish, and your mommy and daddie's names. Also, any siblings, and every one of your friends names. We must know that too. :D

And just so I don't piss anyone off, I'm just messin with you, just a little taste of what people are bound to do to you here if you get in an argument. >>

So, I'll repeat, Jklolz.

jklolz. :)

Btw, I play b.net too. some screenies I use

FagBallz_McGoo
Frostmourne]FK[
Frosty1992

:D

Yup, Van_Halen summarized it up nicely: True, people don't flame other users here that much, but tend to use extreme sarcasm, so remember to take everything with a pinch of salt, ignore moronic comments (some of them are kind of fun, though) and enjoy your halflife2.net experience.

As a fellow noob, welcome... is safer here.

Back