Half-Life 2 and Counter-Strike: Source Update Released

Chris D

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Rejoice all who are having problems with their Half-Life 2 stuttering during play because an update to Half-Life 2 has been released to fix the problem:
  • Half-Life 2
    [br]
  • Fixed sound stuttering problems
  • Counter-Strike: Source[br]
  • Fixed missing models when running the Video Stress Test
Restart your Steam clients to receive the update and enjoy the game, stutter-free!

Are they gonna add that fix to the demo by any chance? they should also fix that bug that causes the game to crash when you use the implulse 101 cheat. I know its "just a demo" but still people might thing they would have the same problems with the full version game.

NeoNight said:
Are they gonna add that fix to the demo by any chance? they should also fix that bug that causes the game to crash when you use the implulse 101 cheat. I know its "just a demo" but still people might thing they would have the same problems with the full version game.

lol no, why would they?

Its a demo for christ sake.

holy shit!!! i like how the don't give a technical explanation! just "Fixed sound stuttering problems"! Gabe feeling pleased with himself? :p

GonzoBabbleshit said:
holy shit!!! i like how the don't give a technical explanation! just "Fixed sound stuttering problems"! Gabe feeling pleased with himself? :p
It wouldn't mean much to most people anyway, contacting Doug Valentine might get you more information though.

Chris, there is also a post in General about 30,000 Accounts have been disabled today. I would point it to you but the forums are too slow for me. :(

they did it on the CD check update though. i think they're just too pleased with themselves to disguise it! maybe.

good news anyway! :D

smash<Steam> said:
Chris, there is also a post in General about 30,000 Accounts have been disabled today. I would point it to you but the forums are too slow for me. :(
that's excellent news :)

Huh... I don't know for you but for me the sound stuttering problem is worse than it has ever been.

seems there's more unhappy people in the Steam forums too :S

maybe they should've mentioned what they did after all....

The steam forums are always unhappy :p

I go there when I want a good laugh, well the stutter patch has definattly cleared it up for me.

YAY..come on come on ...big css update ne time now!!

Although the stuttering problem has massively improved for me, it still does it just after a level has just been loaded.

OMG! That's why I lööööve Steam so much! The instant patching, support 24/7, the goodies. VALVe rocks yer cocks, game devs! :afro: :afro:

i aint sure if people know this yet but i think we dont have to restart the steam client to recieve updates anymore because i was about to enter cs:s and then steam started to update it for me. wish i took a screenshot of what it did when it updated to show ya o well :(

ME SO HAPPY!

:):):):) :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Valve, you 0wn.

I was wondering what that update for CS:S was when I was playing a couple hours ago...

I must've got it righta fter it was released too. Update News.. and Steam didn't have info about it.

Mikey10 said:
Although the stuttering problem has massively improved for me, it still does it just after a level has just been loaded.

Forget that, mine's still stuttering like crazy at times. And before anyone asks, I do have the new patch

Mikey10 said:
Forget that, mine's still stuttering like crazy at times. And before anyone asks, I do have the new patch

Maybe you just have a crappy computer, live with it or UPGRADE!

Stuttering

I just also wanted to mention that after the most recent update my stuttering got worse, not better :(. Although I did beat the game yesterday and it was thuroughly enjoyable, I can't wait for the day when I can play the game smooth and perfect.

-Red Falcon

zerokoolin said:
i aint sure if people know this yet but i think we dont have to restart the steam client to recieve updates anymore because i was about to enter cs:s and then steam started to update it for me. wish i took a screenshot of what it did when it updated to show ya o well :(

Yes, you are correct.

But..

If you dont play the game and want it to update, just restart Steam. If you want to play the game and it needs to be updated, run it. It will automatically update.

Sometimes though, you need to restart Steam in order for the core files (Steam dlls, exes, etc) to be updated.

Snowknight26 said:
Sometimes though, you need to restart Steam in order for the core files (Steam dlls, exes, etc) to be updated.

Thanks for the tip dude, i went to play HL2, it updated i thought sweet, after reading this i restarted steam and had further updates to do.

Cheers

Your still probably going to get a little studder after loading a level, because the game is auto-saving.

My stuttering is all but cured. I still get the occasional hiccup every now and then, but for my 2 year old system, I'd expect no less!

Kudos, Valve! :cheers:

The patch made no difference to me as far as I can tell. It's loading from harddrive that does it. No drive access, it's perfect. Drive access, it stutters. It's playable on medium textures, it's high textures that cause the worst of it.

And don't anyone tell me it's my system as I have a good system or I need to defrag or whatever. I think if Valve used more ram on loading any section, then that'd fix it rather than trying to stream in things. From what I understand, HL2 doesn't hog a lot of ram so maybe they could use a little more. It's like it's trying to stream in sound files or scripted animations that is the cause.

I'm quite happy with the game on medium textures, though.

Haha valve gave the pirates a present, how nice!!! :D :D :D :D

Hopefully valve is getting closer to the stuttering problem...

Something I didn't know was that valve is also doing a cpu-host based audio engine, instead of using soundboard and all that... This is what Doom3 did.... /randomfact

Much of this "sound stuttering" has just been people running the game on too high settings. Well I never had a problem anyway.

wow 30,000 accounts.... add that to the 20,000 accounts that where disabled before... then multiply that by say ~$54.00 more or less (assuming those all where US players ) and you got about $2,700,000 more or less of revenue they where making valve/venvidi (sp?) miss out on.

I still don't know what the hell the stuttering bug was, or if I had it, but thanks anyway :D

Sure, problems with thread scheduling / priority. We had a local user
bring in a machine with the repro since none of the 200+ machines we had
here ever could repro it. We still don't know why it's a problem on
some machines and not on others (could be other hardware or software or
some other issue...)

Yahn

There ya go :)

Back