Half Life 2 and You: The Combine Soldier [video]

The A

Medic
Reaction score
A video I made to try and inform people about the Overwatch Soldier AI:

This is mostly geared to mappers, but you guys might find something interesting.

Some other facts:

- Scripted grenade throws don't remove grenades from a soldier's pool of grenades.
- Soldiers only use the Shot Regulator when moving and shooting. Basically, standoffs act funny.
- Soldiers will grenade allies, just not squad members.
- Soldiers use "combat" animations while in assaults, even if they're not in a "combat" state.
- Soldiers won't hide to reload if they're current enemy doesn't have a range attack.
- Soldiers don't talk as much as Metrocops.
- Soldier will stop flanking or charging if they find a "new enemy." (What exactly makes an enemy "new" is still hazy to me)

Constructive Criticism and what not would be much appreciated.

There's definitely a lot of interesting information here which most people never really think about or discuss.

You are correct when you say in your description that you may have spoken a little too quickly, but I was still able to tell what was being said, and I never had any issues understanding your point (probably because I also speak so quickly myself).

Overall, nice job!

This is incredibly handy for people new to HL2 mapping. I can't complain much, because you basically covered everything up related to the topic.

Perhaps in one of your future videos, you can talk about design theory; where to place enemies, when to use assaults, where to place cover and what not. Because thats one of the things, that the majority of new mappers don't seem to understand.

This is incredibly handy for people new to HL2 mapping. I can't complain much, because you basically covered everything up related to the topic.

Perhaps in one of your future videos, you can talk about design theory; where to place enemies, when to use assaults, where to place cover and what not. Because thats one of the things, that the majority of new mappers don't seem to understand.

Oh yeah. I plan on covering the specifics of how cover works for NPCs, but I'd probably do less theory and more technical stuff. I do plan on going into application for assaults, though, because that definitely needs to be covered.

I'm wondering what new AI features could Source 2 bring... Maybe the combines could use the environment more.. like being able to construct barricades, that would be fun.
The problem with AI, is that you could spend hours to develop something very complex that only 0.1% of players will notice.

The problem with AI, is that you could spend hours to develop something very complex that only 0.1% of players will notice.
probably the reason the industry is lazy when it comes to AI, because you cant show it in your fancy trailers

...is that not the point, though? Getting an AI so complex most people fail to recognize the patterns and actions on a conscious level? Pure interaction seems far more preferable to the player being aware there is an AI and trying to exploit it.

(Also, great video - really enjoyed it)

probably the reason the industry is lazy when it comes to AI, because you cant show it in your fancy trailers
Oh you can always make fancy trailer of AI:
youtu.be/4ddJ1OKV63Q?t=8m30s
But, the question will always be "Is this real AI, or is this Script ?"

Oh you can always make fancy trailer of AI:
youtu.be/4ddJ1OKV63Q?t=8m30s
But, the question will always be "Is this real AI, or is this Script ?"

You actually bring up an interesting point. Something I find interesting about HL2's scripting system is you never know what an NPC will do. A lot of valve's scripts control shooting and moving. Sure all that stuff in the Ravenholm section was scripted, but it could happen. Remember the ambush at White Forest Inn? And I know ways to script encounters like that Ravenholm bit, its complex, but it's still possible, and someone playing through the map wouldn't expect it. There's also the Barricade portion with Barney in that demonstration. A lot of that stuff is still in the final game, just not how you expect it to be. If I get to discussing ai_goal_standoffs and npc_citizens I'll talk about that.

Back