Half-Life 2 Canon (Theory)

Sectorial

Headcrab
Reaction score
image2.jpg

"Both thorn and thistles it should bring forth, for us. For out of the ground we were taken for the dust we are."

It is considered unfortunate that the event that shaped our new world is the most obscured of this timeline. Most citizens are granted with knowledge that the Black Mesa Event did occur, but the details are restricted to the knowledge of a bare minimum, these primarily being the remnants of the Black Mesa Science Team.

The Resonance Cascade is known as the first recorded event where a permanent link was established between Earth and its portal world, Xen. Furthermore, it is the event that established a permanent and secure link between the two planets, which allowed the transportation of multiple xenian forms of wild life (previously restricted to the planet of Xen) as well as a now primary ally of what remains of Humanity - the Vortigaunts - to our doorstep.

News of the incident was published a few months after it occurred following failed efforts to retain the information from the public, and even the nuclear bombing of the facility to contain the situation whilst erasing all evidence it happened. These efforts were compromised partially due to survivors escaping the facility intact, and these people include:
The Black Mesa Science Team remnants
Dr. Wallace Breen (ex- administrator)
Surviving HECU units

Due to the events that quite promptly followed the Resonance Cascade, no investigations were made by any non-ex employees. The activities that occurred at Black Mesa during the day of the Resonance Cascade are left shrowded in mystery.​

Half+life+2+done+left.JPG

"It's like the first days all over again!"
Est. 2000 - 200-

There was only a brief reprieve between the Resonance Cascade and the events that followed after, changing the world and shaping a new one. Most species of animal became extinct during this period, and farmland was scarce, meaning food was in shortage. Amongst the poverty came an array of new dangers that forced most denizens of the remaining nations into secluded and fortified Cities.

The void of wildlife was soon replaced by rapidly growing populations of hostile xenian creatures such as antlions, headcrabs and other creatures seeking refuge from the imminent Combine forces nearing Xen. Though most remained as barriers that would prevent most humans from seeing the countryside again, one race in particular - the Vortigaunts - would eventually become a vital ally of the Human race, although remained hostile during this period.

Spurred on by the constant transportation of hostile & overbearing forms of alien wildlife, the UN decided on the establishing of large urban metropolises in existing footholds. Areas such as London, New York, Paris were all fortified and expanded to hold large numbers of persons, grow enough sustenance to support their populations and also prevent the infiltration of hostile xenian life.

Of course, there were those who refused to abandon their homes or simply couldn't reach evacuation points. Those who stayed either established their own mini-safehouses which became a home to refugees, or perished among with many others. Some of the safehouses became Resistance strongholds in the years to come, or simply withered away in decay.

The_Combine_moving_in_the_rain_by_Santzi.jpg

"We should thank Our Benefactors for giving us respite from this overpowering force. They have thrown a switch and exorcised our demons in a single stroke. They have given us the strength we never could have summoned to overcome this compulsion. They have given us purpose. They have turned our eyes toward the stars."
-Est 2004-2012

The 'Combine' appeared out of one of the portals - although nobody really knows when or how it happened. Atop the metropolis City 1, one of the largest portals recorded opened and became the major grounding point in the Combine offensive. The American military was obliterated in mere hours as the offensive stretched across both the Northern and Southern continents, before quickly moving towards Europe.

South America fell at the mid-way point of the massacre now called the Seven Hour War, shortly followed by Africa. An emergency summit was called in Geneva at which the leaders of the surviving nations held an video conference- it was declared that the invaders were to left stranded by the destruction of the portal they were using to cross into our world. Code-named Operation: Dark Skies, the plan involved the co-operation of the surviving countries to strategically deploy nuclear warheads at the known portal sites. It was one of the largest joint military operations in history, a combined effort from the UN, Russia, China and surviving Middle Eastern countries. The plan however failed when the Union arrived out of portals that opened over Europe and Asia, leaving many of the silos still primed and loaded but abandoned or destroyed.

Having seen most of the conflict, the North American frontier was renovated by the Union very slightly to establish eligible housing out of the ruins. The embassy for the Administration of Earth was elected soon after, with Dr. Breen - having negotiated the surrender of Humanity - at the head of it.

After the war was lost, humanity was categorized, recorded, numbered and purged in a mass genocide; the people of Earth were cleansed of every citizen over the age of 75 and under the age of 16- the only known survivors of this purge were the 'Outlanders' who were not processed after the war and live outside cities to this day. As the fires of the war settled over the coming weeks, the new dominant species of Earth designated sites for sanctioned and controlled Urban Areas, or sectors, in total there were 26 sectors and cities numbered 80, not including the multitude of Union facilities.

The population of the planet was spread accordingly, keeping a somewhat even distribution in mind. Eventually theSuppression Field was established over each city- this field targeted and eliminated key proteins needed for human embryos to develop, making humanity sterile as an effect.

To govern and police these settlements, the mass-conversion of all captured ex-police/military in Overwatch Transhumans in conducted with grotesque efficiency, cities are controlled brutally by OTA for the first year of Union occupation while the cities begin recruitment drives promising a better standard of living for those who wish to become 'Civil Protection'. Civil Protection, governed by the omnipresent Dispatch A.I. is the police force that is currently in place to ease the transitional period towards the Union's goal of 'singularity'. Although these officers may be human, most have become detached slaves in uniform who serve the Union blindly out of either fear or delusion.

Every city in the 26 Sectors was given a purpose;
Industrial -Built for producing goods/machines to power the Union's immense demands for resources),​
Residential -Built to house the citizens as 'lay-away' livestock, fit for small industry or recruitment into Civil Protection.
Conversion -massive camps built out of derelict cities, similar to Nazi POW camps, they serve the purpose of temporary housing before mass conversion into Overwatch Transhumans. These camps are highly classified and have no permanent population except the Overwatch/Civil Protection details assigned to them.​

Now, the human race faces its last days, ageing irreversibly while countless are executed for breaking the new 'laws' established. These laws set up by the Union eliminated anything they believed to be dangerous, sex, music, weapons, independent currency and basic human rights such as education and free speech were outlawed. Some of these laws were 'rectified' by the implementation of Union sanctioned goods, these however are rumored to be laced with experimental chemicals and are said to cause 'slow-death' side-effects. Regardless, life under occupation now became the grim reality facing the billions in Union captivity.​

2012 - 2018 (Present Day)
Life Under Occupation

Not mine. Just wanted to say it. This was interesting so I thought, why not? All credits goes to:
https://www.lemonpunch.net/threads/the-lemonpunch-hl2rp-canon-timeline.181/

This is kinda cool, but I'll admit I stopped reading halfway through after I noticed so many weird mistakes and errors. It could definitely use some refinement and fact-checking. Good effort, though.

Last edited:
This is kinda cool, but I'll admit I stopped reading halfway through after I noticed so many weird mistakes and errors. It could definitely use some refinement and fact-checking.
You see, there is no official canon, so there can technically be no mistakes.
But then again, Half-Life 2 Roleplay (Find shit about HL2RP here) canon completely shits on any other canon theories.

You see, there is no official canon, so there can technically be no mistakes.
But then again, Half-Life 2 Roleplay (Find shit about HL2RP here) canon completely shits on any other canon theories.
I was purely talking about Half-Life 2's own official canon.

I was purely talking about Half-Life 2's own official canon.
Ah, so basically things that happen in-game? Yeah, there are some errors. Now that I give it some thought, it isn't quite a theory, but more of a custom canon ideal :p

Back