Half-Life 2 Clears up at AIAS Awards

Reaction score
The Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences held their 8th annual awards show in Las Vegas last night, a ceremony dedicated to recognizing and awarding outstanding achievement in the entertainment software industry. It shouldn't come as any surprise then that Half-Life 2 picked up the most awards there, receiving a total of 9 out of the 39 awarded.

Half-Life 2 and Valve managed to walk out with the following:
  • Game of the Year
  • Computer Game of the Year
  • Outstanding Achievement in Art Direction
  • Outstanding Achievement in Animation
  • Outstanding Character Performance - Male
  • Outstanding Achievement in Game Play Engineering
  • Outstanding Achievement in Visual Engineering
  • Outstanding Innovation in Computer Gaming
  • First Person Action Game of the Year
This isn't the first time the Academy has recognized Valve's work either; the original Half-Life managed to win 7 awards at the 2nd annual show. Congratulations to everyone at Valve Software for their success. I wonder if someone is keeping count of these things...To read the rest of the winners, click here.

Congrats to valve. They also got Game of the year in Pc Gamer.

I think Dr. Breen was one of the greatest characters ever to grace the screen. Robert Culp has the greatest propaganda voice ever. And the lines Breen had are awesome, I actually have all his speeches in MP3 format. :cheers:

Yes, who is the "male performance" award for though? Robert Guilliame, Robert Culp, Mike Shapiro, Harry S Robbins... The Player? (appearing as "Gordon Freeman" in the acclaimed computational simulation "Half-Life Deux")?!

Incidently, is www.gameoftheyear.com under Vivendi's control? I can't view the site at the moment, think i'm blocking it or something.

Raziel-Jcd said:
Congrats to valve. They also got Game of the year in Pc Gamer.
They also got the GOTY award in PC Gameplay (from Belgium) from the crew and the readers.

Insane said:
They also got the GOTY award in PC Gameplay (from Belgium) from the crew and the readers.
And IGN. And Eurogamer. And Driver Heaven. And Fragzone. And the BBC. And Edge. And all the rest who haven't been reported on the site yet!

Yet more proof that Half Life 2 is a good game, if you didn't know it already :p

Apostle11 said:
Yet more proof that Half Life 2 is a good game, if you didn't know it already :p
i'd heard rumours to that effect, certainly...

Yeah, I never believe the rumors, as they were never from credible sources. This does look promising though :p

Half-Life 2 Clears up at AIAS Awards ??

Don't you mean cleans up?? :hmph:

halo2 wins best console game?
MGS3 should win that place and many others,but still this awards dont looks bad
and HL2 deserve all it got

Man, what a load of hype... Why does this site always post such useless crap for the news? Yeah, Half Life 2 is good... but who honestly cares about such late breaking news as "*Nationality* GAMES MAGAZINE RATES HL2 97%!!!"

or
*Blahblah* GAME AWARDS ACADEMY GIVES HL2 THE GOLD!
*Lists 30 thousand stupid categories in which HL2 DOMINATED the competition*

I know I'm not alone on this one. Stop posting useless news, we'd rather hear about mods.

Oh yea, forgot to add, this site does do a good job with mod news. Keep THAT up. :D

Morganhahaha said:
Man, what a load of hype... Why does this site always post such useless crap for the news? Yeah, Half Life 2 is good... but who honestly cares about such late breaking news as "*Nationality* GAMES MAGAZINE RATES HL2 97%!!!"

or

I know I'm not alone on this one. Stop posting useless news, we'd rather hear about mods.

Are these posts somehow hindering you from learning about new mods? No, so in the words of the great Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, "Stop Whining!"

Its news about Half-Life 2. This is a Half-Life 2 fan site. What else would they post regarding HL2?

Its completely logical that a HL2 fan site would post news about HL2. I mean.....DUH!

Congrats, Valve! Your hard work really payed off. :D

fredbass said:
Half-Life 2 Clears up at AIAS Awards ??

Glad i saw your post, i was about to say the samething.

Morganhahaha said:

or

Oh yea, forgot to add, this site does do a good job with mod news. Keep THAT up. :D

I do and so do many others.

Morganhahaha said:

or

Because the AIAS awards actually holds some amount of credibility within the games industry. This isn't the PC Gamer staff we're talking about, but high-ranking professionals from the industry itself. There's a reason we're selective on what awards to report on (yes, we are selective, contrary to what you're suggesting).

KagePrototype said:
Because the AIAS awards actually holds some amount of credibility within the games industry. This isn't the PC Gamer staff we're talking about, but high-ranking professionals from the industry itself. There's a reason we're selective on what awards to report on (yes, we are selective, contrary to what you're suggesting).
Yes, these are, so to speak, THE awards in the gaming industry.

Half Life 2 is the game that have spent the longest time on my hard drive after I have played it 10 times in a row.

And I still playing it, love it, I love valve.

Omg , Valve's pwnage continues, :) IMO valve are the gods of the FPS genre. Give them another cookie

Narcolepsy said:

I agree. I looked at all the other winners and I can't say I disagree with a single one.

Congratulations to Valve and to the rest of the winners. :cheese:

SubKamran said:
I think Dr. Breen was one of the greatest characters ever to grace the screen. Robert Culp has the greatest propaganda voice ever. And the lines Breen had are awesome, I actually have all his speeches in MP3 format. :cheers:

Can we have `em? I'd love to mix some of those in with a beat or three.

Morganhahaha said:
Not alone, but you are the extreme minority.

Most of us clearly love to hear how our favorite game is getting the recognition it deserves. Every award it wins means nothing but good things for the future of this franchise.
fredbass said:
I'm afraid hes got you there, Kage. "Cleans up" is the common phrasing.
kupoartist said:
Yes, who is the "male performance" award for though? Robert Guilliame, Robert Culp, Mike Shapiro, Harry S Robbins...
I would really like to know as well.
Narcolepsy said:
This may be true, but they're very Americancentric. FarCry was suprisingly ignored for nominations.

i dunno about ignored, it did compete in alot of them, jsut didn't win

Does anyone know how many HL2 won this year. Did it beat its record

I'm keeping track of the awards on this Dutch Half-Life 2 Fansite: HL2.nl.

For the forum thread (containing a list of the awards): go here.

If I missed any, PM me! :)

So basically Half-Life 2 just won 9 Oscars

Chris_D still has to make a list of all the awards HL2 has won so far.

Chris get to work!!! :frown:

Back