Half-Life 2 Developer Information

rec

Reaction score
Our Info from Valve only thread continues to grow, among the new entries is a snippet of conversation between forum participant phantomdesign and Valve's Rick Ellis regarding certain aspects of modification development...

phantomdesign: What would be the best format for me to save my textures as for quick conversion to HL2 textures. TGA’s with alpha channel?

Rick Ellis: Yes save in TGA w/alpha. We have a new format but we'll take .tga's as input.

phantomdesign: Will the conversion of models from 3DS Max format to HL2 format keep mapping coordinates?

Rick Ellis: Yes.

Does this really qualify as news? I mean, it's good that the thread is still growing, and VALVe is still answering e-mails.. but, it seems a bit out of place for a newspost

It's new information regarding Half-Life 2, correct me if I'm wrong.

I kind of agree with Shuzer here, I could have gone without knowing that HL2 accepted TGA w/alpha textures.

Yeah, I can't remember the last time an e-mail answered by VALVe was posted as news..

oh well, I don't mind, I was just curious

keeping the map coordinates may not be NEWS to gamers but it is news to modders. By definition this is new and good news for alot of people who want to prepare.

Ok, my point wasn't that it wasn't worth knowing.. but, the fact that I'd never seen an e-mail from the VALVe info thread (barring release date answers) posted as a news item was a bit weird

No need to be dicks, rec is trying to do the best he can with what he has. This is important news to developers, sure its not major but its all we currently have.

When news is slow, sometimes less relevant news will have to do. This info is very important to texture artists & modelers, so I woudn't complain too much as it will help MOD teams.

At least we know the headcrabs didn't get everyone at Valve Headquarters :)

No Limit, I was in no way being a "dick", as you put it. I'm not arguing, nor am I arguing with the fact that it's not important news. I was just questioning as to why it's been the only info from VALVe posted. That's all.

Originally posted by Shuzer
No Limit, I was in no way being a "dick", as you put it. I'm not arguing, nor am I arguing with the fact that it's not important news. I was just questioning as to why it's been the only info from VALVe posted. That's all.
I wasn't talking about you, sorry if I made it looks like that. I was referring to replies like these:

Where's the news ?

Originally posted by No Limit
I wasn't talking about you, sorry if I made it looks like that. I was referring to replies like these:

Ah, okay :)

Back