half-life 2 e3 2003 video

tschumann

Spy
Reaction score
Does anyone know the name of the E3 2003 video with the physgun and the map with the pool in the middle, then the Counter-Strike Source benchmark map?

Looking back at those, I really like the idea of the Trams in City 17, they just seem like a nice feature.

If you want to play the actual tech demo then you could play Missing Information it has content from HL2 beta including the E3 techdemos.

I think he's talking about the bink video which is an exe.

Been a while since I've seen those. Hell, is Fileplanet still around? Might be in the archives somewhere...

Yeah I already looked on FilePlanet but couldn't find it. They've got all the other Bink videos and a Half-Life recreation of the techdemo map.
Also, was there more than one version of these E3 videos released? I found a video on my hard drive that had a few snippets of the E3 videos, but Alyx had a green jacket and the OICW was used instead of the MP7.

Yeah I already looked on FilePlanet but couldn't find it. They've got all the other Bink videos and a Half-Life recreation of the techdemo map.
Chances are simply that it was never released. It was probably one of the more commentary heavy parts of the E3 presentation. Aside from the alternate version of the Gravity gun, it's never been a particularly interesting section, and the least indicative of the final product (among a set of rather false impressions :p)
Also, was there more than one version of these E3 videos released? I found a video on my hard drive that had a few snippets of the E3 videos, but Alyx had a green jacket and the OICW was used instead of the MP7.
Well, the OICW was in the E3 2003 videos (but not with a grenade launcher) but yes, there is a Half-Life 2 trailer based largely on earlier assets. IIRC, it shows the 'Terminal' version of the trainstation square, a different citadel, a different version of the strider sequence and Alyx's pre-brainstorm rather more generic green-jacket design. I've always wondered what the origin of this trailer was, and why Valve would authorise its release when it was so far even from the content they revealed at E3 (I have vague memories of small amounts of content appearing exclusively on a magazine coverdisk just before E3 2003). I believe the content in it was largely created for the aborted E3 2002 reveal mentioned in gamespot's development retrospective.

Chances are simply that it was never released.

Seems like it.

Well, the OICW was in the E3 2003 videos (but not with a grenade launcher) but yes, there is a Half-Life 2 trailer based largely on earlier assets. IIRC, it shows the 'Terminal' version of the trainstation square, a different citadel, a different version of the strider sequence and Alyx's pre-brainstorm rather more generic green-jacket design. I've always wondered what the origin of this trailer was, and why Valve would authorise its release when it was so far even from the content they revealed at E3 (I have vague memories of small amounts of content appearing exclusively on a magazine coverdisk just before E3 2003). I believe the content in it was largely created for the aborted E3 2002 reveal mentioned in gamespot's development retrospective.

Yeah that's the one. It seems that it was meant to be a trailer for E3.

Well, the OICW was in the E3 2003 videos (but not with a grenade launcher) but yes, there is a Half-Life 2 trailer based largely on earlier assets.

It does have a grenade launcher in 2003 videos.

I believe the content in it was largely created for the aborted E3 2002 reveal mentioned in gamespot's development retrospective.

E3 2002 reveal was never cancelled. It was press only.

The development of HL2 is infinitely interesting to me. This is the trailer you're talking about. It says E3 2003, but the content in it was already very outdated by then. It was probably some left over stuff from the scrapped E3 2002 reveal as someone else said. The OICW had a grenade launcher, Alyx had the blue jumpsuit with a green jacket, and the combine soldiers had very different color schemes. These things weren't present in the shaky cam E3 2003 demos or the Bink videos. They weren't being used in whatever build it was that got leaked in September '03 either. You can also see old versions of the terminal, Kleiner's lab, the citadel, the combine APC, the metro cops, the citizens of City 17, and the scanners.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L38vVnqOFf0

I wish I could see and play every build of HL2 all the way back to the "get your free TVs" demo. It's just fascinating to me.

it was ugly as hell - i'm glad it was scrapped

No way. It was quasi-futuristic body armor, like a scavenger in a hostile environment like City 17 should wear. And her green jacket even had fur lining. What's her new jacket got? Duct tape?

i remember seeing that video for the first time and my jaw hitting the floor.....good times. hasn't happened since.

Back